X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15W

I am trying to figure out what MOS will prepare me the most for flight school for the officer MOS 15. I was thinking 15W because they use aircraft (even though its drones). Or should I go for a mechanic job like 15X or something of that nature?
    (I am going for OCS so I will be a O-1 when I apply for flight school)

Re: 15W

Being a 15 series enlisted soldier isn't necessarily going to guarantee you can branch Aviation in OCS. It is very hard to brach AV in OCS, period. Most of the slots go to ROTC, USMA, other service academies, etc. It is likely much easier for you to become an Aviation Warrant Officer (153A) in the NG if flight school is your end goal AND you are heart set on going the enlisted route first.

Not saying it can't be done because I made it happen. It is not easy though because most states, and even Active Duty OCS, just don't slot soldiers for AV out of OCS.

Comment

I thought I replied to this one already. Anyway, almost anything in the 15 series field would be good if your eventual goal is to go to Fligh School. 15W if for UAS though and is pretty much unrelated to all the other Aviation career fields.

If your heart is set on going enlisted first, you'll have a much better chance of becoming an Aviator by becoming a Warrant Officer (153A). You can research that but go to AIT, put in some time with the unit and get to know folks, then get command endorsement to apply for WOCS and go to Flight School. 153A is actually the only Warrant Officer series that does not require a specific feeder MOS, so you could technically be anything and apply for AV WO. You do have to take the flight aptitude test (I'm guessing the SIFT now), pass a class 1 flight physical, and have a 110 GT score on your ASVAB.

Going for OCS and Aviation is a tough COA. It is almost impossible because most states give the AV slots to those coming out of ROTC, USMA, service academies, etc. It is very rare for OCS candidates to get AV not only in the NG, but in Active Duty OCS as well. That leads me back to the point that WO is an easier route if Aviation is absolutely what you want to do, because OCS can not guarantee you that in the slightest.

Comment

With that being said, it's easier to become an Aviation Warrant Officer (153A) than branch aviation out of OCS.

Comment

This exact scenario was played out in a previous post....

Search function, you will use, padawan.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. And TxIntel 1978, ill start using that.
            If I can't get into flight school I will probably be looking to be an 18MOS or 11O and trying to rank up to O-2 to try for 18O. That isn't easy either, but hell if its possible, I'll do it.

Comment

Working...
            X