X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused on MOS

I was just wondering if I go to BCT and do AIT that would mean I have the necessary training in the field I chose. So why do I see soldiers go to BCT and AIT to later come back to civilian life without a job and/ or get whatever job they find. I thought there were jobs in the guard specifically for the MOS/job THEY chose to begin with?

Re: Confused on MOS

How do i post a question on this site?'

Comment

The Guard isn't designed to be an welfare program that propels soldiers into full time or high salary jobs. Although it is certainly possible for most military experience and training to transfer or be attractive to a civilian employer (and the military doesn't deny pitching that), there is no promise from the Guard this will happen. In fact, they have nothing to do with it.

Upon returning from training, you drill 1 weekend a month/2-3 weeks a year with your unit and get paid for that time. There are fulltime jobs in the Guard, but they are mostly of the administrative fashion. If someone would want to be training with weapons, vehicles and explosives on a daily basis...they ought to go to the Active Army or Marine Corps. For more information on fulltime jobs, search the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by William View Post
        How do i post a question on this site?'
        I think there's an MOS for that.

Comment

Originally posted by mandie View Post
          I was just wondering if I go to BCT and do AIT that would mean I have the necessary training in the field I chose. So why do I see soldiers go to BCT and AIT to later come back to civilian life without a job and/ or get whatever job they find. I thought there were jobs in the guard specifically for the MOS/job THEY chose to begin with?

Folks choose based on what they qualify for as well as what is available at time of enlistment....at times it certainly isn't their 1st, 4th, or even 5th option off the wish list.

The best training you could take away isn't necessarily the skills but the focus, discipline, & determination to succeed at a task.

Yes, it sounds like a recruiting line but that's my 2

Comment

Originally posted by bai78 View Post
            [/I][/U][/B]

Folks choose based on what they qualify for as well as what is available at time of enlistment....at times it certainly isn't their 1st, 4th, or even 5th option off the wish list.

The best training you could take away isn't necessarily the skills but the focus, discipline, & determination to succeed at a task.
            Well, sort of. Based on what the recruits scores are on the ASVAB, they choose their own MOS. Does the staff at MEPS try to persuade them into something else that is available now or that is needed additional manpower? Yes. But ultimately, the soldier has the final say-so on the job they get.

If they want their first choice, they simply wait until its available or go elsewhere. There is no "wish list". (Again, based on what they are qualified for).

Comment

Working...
            X