X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat Engineer

I am considering enlisting in the National Guard as a Combat Engineer. The only problem I have with this is I don't want to be the guy building bridges and checking for IEDs, the only part of this job that appeals to me is the blow and go aspect. I want to be the guy blowing down a door and rushing into a building. Is it possible to specialize in only this aspect or must I do everything?

Re: Combat Engineer

Originally posted by JArt View Post
    I want to be the guy blowing down a door and rushing into a building. Is it possible to specialize in only this aspect or must I do everything?
    Yea, you can be that guy.

Comment

Mike, what is a 153D? I know 153A but I do not see 153D on the WOMOS list.

Comment

I am considering enlisting in the National Guard as a Combat Engineer. The only problem I have with this is I don't want to be the guy building bridges and checking for IEDs, the only part of this job that appeals to me is the blow and go aspect. I want to be the guy blowing down a door and rushing into a building. Is it possible to specialize in only this aspect or must I do everything?
        Blowing doors and rushing in is usually what the 11Bs do... or Group. We had a LT at BOLC who was in group as the ENG guy. Got to blow all kinds of stuff up. Lucky twerp...!

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
          153D - UH60 Driver
          153A - Rotary Wing Aviator (Aircraft Non-Specific)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_Army_careers

153D is not on the WO selection list because nobody goes to flight school with an aircraft specific MOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
            There are ton's of different AV MOS' depending on which aircraft you fly.

152B OH-53A/C, 152C OH-6, 152D OH-58D, 152F AH-64A, 152H AH-64D, 153B UH-1, 153D UH-60, 153E MH-60, 153M UH-60M, 153L UH-72 154C CH-47D, 154E MH-47, 154F CH-47F, 155E C-12, 155F jet aircraft pilot.

Comment

You'll be trained on a variety of tasks. Going and blowing stuff up is just part of what we do (albeit the coolest part). You'll become a jack of all trades but master of none. Nobody enlists at 12B because setting up concertina wire looks fun. There's much more to it than demolition. When you deploy, you'll probably be checking for IED's. not much fun but in order to blow stuff up that's a pretty necessary part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ack202 View Post
                There are ton's of different AV MOS' depending on which aircraft you fly.

152B OH-53A/C, 152C OH-6, 152D OH-58D, 152F AH-64A, 152H AH-64D, 153B UH-1, 153D UH-60, 153E MH-60, 153M UH-60M, 153L UH-72 154C CH-47D, 154E MH-47, 154F CH-47F, 155E C-12, 155F jet aircraft pilot.
                Ahhhh. Got it brother. Hope everyone is having a nice Memorial Day weekend.

Comment

Leaving for OSUT for Combat engineer in 33 days! Excited to give it all I got! Any last tips for Ft. Leonard Wood?

Comment

That part that appeals to you can wear two faces. Keep in mind that when rushing into a building, they may be waiting for you. With weapons. You hope that you will be faster than they. You may be twice, three times, maybe ten times, faster but all it takes is one time for someone to be faster than you and that's the end of the game. FOREVER. You hope that there is no booby traps when you rush inside. May sound appealing right now, but that feeling will go away sooner than you think. I think it was safer to walk point in Vietnam than to rush inside buildings. Like someone here mentioned. It aint a video game. Good luck.

Comment

With Afghanistan winding down, you may not even deploy. But as a former Combat Engineer and Military Policeman, the ones that were mostly doing breaches were MP and Infantry. I did a couple in Iraq. Other times, at night, I was on the outer cordon while other teams breached homes looking for high-value targets.
                      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; May 26th, 2013, 09:25 AM.

Comment

You may want to just go Infantry, then.

Comment

Listen to your Drill Sergeants and learn from them. If they are anything like mine, they'll be some of the best soldiers you'll ever meet. Stay invisible. They'll be plenty of alpha males wanting to take over the show. Let them. Make sure that you are squared away and your battle buddy is squared away. Other than that, you'll figure it out. I hear they have fleece blankets at 12B OSUT now. So make sure you enjoy that as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X