X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15X vs 15P MOS?

I am trying to get in an aviation MOS and then after 1 year I will be eligible to apply for a warrant officer pilot position. Currently the only two aviation jobs available are 15X and 15P. I was looking for something that was hands on and towards the mechanical side. From the information I got, it seems like 15X is a lot of electronics which means a lot of computers which I am not a big fan of. 15P is an operational job which means I will be working on a desk. Can you go in detail of what each MOS really is? I have read many things online but I want something different here like what the day to day life is like and what each MOS would do on drill weekends and deployments. I want to work around aircraft so that is why I am leaning towards 15X but AIT for that is 22 weeks. I was thinking I could go in as a 15P which would give me 8 weeks of AIT and then when a position for 15T or 15U opens up I can re-class into that. And for the repairer jobs AIT is 14 weeks which means both AITs will equal the 22 weeks just for 15X by itself. I know I plan on becoming a pilot after a year but I could always fail a flight medical or just not get accepted so if I don't make it as a pilot, I want to be in a job that I enjoy. I like working with my hands and love aircraft that is why 15T or 15U would be perfect for me. I also don't want to wait until something opens, I want to enlist now. Could someone with experience that works in either of these jobs give me feedback on what it is really like not just the job description because I already know that. Also Which job would let me interact with pilots more often and would be more beneficial in getting me accepted as a pilot?

Re: 15X vs 15P MOS?

Originally posted by 274PP View Post
    I am trying to get in an aviation MOS and then after 1 year I will be eligible to apply for a warrant officer pilot position. Currently the only two aviation jobs available are 15X and 15P. I was looking for something that was hands on and towards the mechanical side. From the information I got, it seems like 15X is a lot of electronics which means a lot of computers which I am not a big fan of. 15P is an operational job which means I will be working on a desk. Can you go in detail of what each MOS really is? I have read many things online but I want something different here like what the day to day life is like and what each MOS would do on drill weekends and deployments. I want to work around aircraft so that is why I am leaning towards 15X but AIT for that is 22 weeks. I was thinking I could go in as a 15P which would give me 8 weeks of AIT and then when a position for 15T or 15U opens up I can re-class into that. And for the repairer jobs AIT is 14 weeks which means both AITs will equal the 22 weeks just for 15X by itself. I know I plan on becoming a pilot after a year but I could always fail a flight medical or just not get accepted so if I don't make it as a pilot, I want to be in a job that I enjoy. I like working with my hands and love aircraft that is why 15T or 15U would be perfect for me. I also don't want to wait until something opens, I want to enlist now. Could someone with experience that works in either of these jobs give me feedback on what it is really like not just the job description because I already know that. Also Which job would let me interact with pilots more often and would be more beneficial in getting me accepted as a pilot?
    Aviation Warrant Officer is one thing that doesn't require specific feeder MOSs, but having any Aviation MOS is definitely a plus.

As to your comments I put in bold above, if being hands-on with A/C is what you want then you need to be patient and wait for one of those jobs (like 15T or 15U) to open up. If you enlist NOW as you stated you want to do, you'll be obligated to a job that you may not want AND you may not get that chance to reclass like you think you would. At least not anytime in the near future.

If at the end of the day you can handle being in the 15X or 15P job and just be happy you are in the Aviation community, especially with your eye forward towards the WO Pilot goal, then by all means go enlist now.

You are exploring what could be two different paths and it is YOUR career, so you just have to decide what it is you actually want.

Comment

I will also note that 15X does get to crawl around the A/C quite a bit. Apaches are very elctronics heavy, probably moreso than any other platform we have. Probably wouldn't be a bad choice for you.

15P would definitely put you at a desk doing flight planning more than anything, and that will put you seeing the A/C from behind glass.

Comment

The thing that is pulling me away from 15X is that AIT is 22 weeks. I mean I wouldn't mind doing it but I wouldn't love it either and the way I see it is if I have to go to a long AIT, I might as well be doing a job that I absolutely love. In December 15U was open but I couldn't enlist for a medical issue which is now under control and since then aviation jobs took a while to open up. I don't want to wait to find that no aviation jobs open up and that I wasted a year because I want to get to becoming a pilot as early as possible. I plan on having a civilian career of a police officer while being in the Guard and then with my experience as a pilot in Guard, I can become a helicopter pilot for a police department. Military police is also an available job but I don't know if that is something that would benefit me. I heard military police wasn't a good MOS. Another question in AIT, are you allowed to go home in the middle or is it like basic training.

Comment

Originally posted by 274PP View Post
          The thing that is pulling me away from 15X is that AIT is 22 weeks. I mean I wouldn't mind doing it but I wouldn't love it either and the way I see it is if I have to go to a long AIT, I might as well be doing a job that I absolutely love. In December 15U was open but I couldn't enlist for a medical issue which is now under control and since then aviation jobs took a while to open up. I don't want to wait to find that no aviation jobs open up and that I wasted a year because I want to get to becoming a pilot as early as possible. I plan on having a civilian career of a police officer while being in the Guard and then with my experience as a pilot in Guard, I can become a helicopter pilot for a police department. Military police is also an available job but I don't know if that is something that would benefit me. I heard military police wasn't a good MOS. Another question in AIT, are you allowed to go home in the middle or is it like basic training.
          I think you need to talk to an actual pilot to discuss the likelihood of this career progression.

Comment

Let me break it down.......you will be putting in an Aviation packet in the future. If the selection process in your State is competetive you will be left with this; do we select the candidate that can plan flight operations (15P) or do we select the guy that knows how to work on the platform (15X).........choose wisely young Jedi. I know if I was a Pilot I would like to know a little bit about it. If your State has a ton of vacancies go be a 11B and put in a packet when you hit E-4!!

Comment

Working...
            X