X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day-to-Day activities at Cav OSUT?

I've done a lot of research, but I can't seem to find what the actual 7 weeks of Cav School and what the physical requirements are.

I really would like to know how many miles, push-ups, sit-ups, smoke sessions I'll do. I'm excited because I've heard that Cav OSUT is one of the most intense entry training the Army/National Guard has to offer (Besides RASP and SFAS, I'm sure).

Any Cav Scouts have any tips/tricks/stories?

Re: Day-to-Day activities at Cav OSUT?

Originally posted by Austin Blackman View Post
    I've done a lot of research, but I can't seem to find what the actual 7 weeks of Cav School and what the physical requirements are.

I really would like to know how many miles, push-ups, sit-ups, smoke sessions I'll do. I'm excited because I've heard that Cav OSUT is one of the most intense entry training the Army/National Guard has to offer (Besides RASP and SFAS, I'm sure).

Any Cav Scouts have any tips/tricks/stories?
    My bf's son enlisted as a Cav Scout - when do you ship?

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
      My bf's son enlisted as a Cav Scout - when do you ship?
      End of May, ma'am. When does your BF's son head out?

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Blackman View Post
        End of May, ma'am. When does your BF's son head out?
        July 16th. Best of luck to you. He is wondering the same things you are so I hope people give some good input. He is so exited.

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
          July 16th. Best of luck to you. He is wondering the same things you are so I hope people give some good input. He is so exited.
          I'm very excited as well! Cav Scout was my second choice, but I'm after doing research, I'm excited to be apart of Calvary tradition.
          Also, being a Gun Nut and being able to play with a laundry list of guns is always a plus What state is coming from? And if he hasn't already, tell him to YouTube search "Cav Scout training". There is a short video from 2011 and it's a peek into OSUT at Benning.

Comment

you've entered into the smallest, second oldest, statistically one of the most dangerous, and most prestigious MOS in the united states army.

don't get me wrong. you'll have some fun moments on the way, but your OSUT training will be tougher than your typical basic training. my drill sergeants were very keen on weeding out those not worthy enough to be 19D.

now to get off my biased soap box...

One Station Unit Training is nothing more than a fusion of basic training and AIT which is completed at the same duty station unlike other MOS's in the army.

your basic training will be like any other basic training that the army provides. it will be structured the same and you will fundamentally (i say this with emphasis) learn the same things that joe schmoe is learning over in relaxing jackson with only a few changes to the training curriculum. The only major difference i can tell you is that my combatives training was a joke compared to my buddies who ironically went to places like ft. Jackson. I only received a couple hours worth of training and a few demonstrations. Your FTX's will also be tailored more towards reconnaissance and setting up observation posts.

between basic training and AIT you will be given a weekend pass as a reward for graduating basic training.

Your AIT will be 6 weeks long. This is where the fun really begins. you will drive bradleys and humvees, learn the basics of how to call for fire. You will also be famliarized with the m2 .50 cal machine gun and the mk19 automatic grenade launcher. You will also be given a chance to rig and detonate a block of c4 at some point. You will also learn the do's and don'ts of reconnaissance. the down side is that you'll be stuck in the same god forsaken barracks you started in way back on day 0. you don't get fancy dorms in AIT like other mos's.

you'll conduct your training at harmony church which is close to sniper school and ranger school. Don't be surprised if you ruck past both more than once during training.

be prepared to face some of the best, but mostly the worst people in basic. everyone from the ex drug dealing thug with an attitude, to the egotistical frat boy that got bored with his accounting job. no joke. keep your cool and avoid fights.

be careful around some of the marines around harmony church. some are pretty cool to talk to, but some of them have the typical marine attitude. i've seen marine privates laugh in the faces of army drill sergeants during chow

only go to sick call when you really need to or until a drill sergeant forces you to.

be tough and be strong. there's nothing wrong with acting weak, but don't do it regularly. trust me. you'll be living with a bunch of guys who are used to acting macho. combine that with lack of women and high testosterone...well, you get the pictures.

try and get a copy of FM 3-20.98 from here and bring it to osut with you. it has everything you will be taught as a Scout. It is practically a scout's bible.

let me know if you have any other questions

Comment

Working...
            X