X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35F or 88M

In light of the recent election my career is likely to come to grinding halt within the next few years as a health insurance broker. That being said, I'm now considering the enlisted side instead of 09S because I would be able to apply for full time guard jobs in the state. Of my options, I am interested in 35F because I'm drawn to that sort of thing and 88M because it looks fun and there is a nice bonus right now.

I see comments made that being in intel may help in getting work for certain government agencies and contractors. Is this a perceived advantage or is it the real deal? I'm worried that it is the same scenario where people believe being an MP will get them a job as a police officer..

88M looks ok but I'm picuring myself as a rolling target when deployed?? Not sure how true that is.

I also have a degree in computer science and I'd prefer to choose an MOS that may give a slight leg up when job searching and build upon my current experience and background.

Thanks

Re: 35F or 88M

Originally posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    In light of the recent election my career is likely to come to grinding halt within the next few years as a health insurance broker. That being said, I'm now considering the enlisted side instead of 09S because I would be able to apply for full time guard jobs in the state. Of my options, I am interested in 35F because I'm drawn to that sort of thing and 88M because it looks fun and there is a nice bonus right now.

I see comments made that being in intel may help in getting work for certain government agencies and contractors. Is this a perceived advantage or is it the real deal? I'm worried that it is the same scenario where people believe being an MP will get them a job as a police officer..

88M looks ok but I'm picuring myself as a rolling target when deployed?? Not sure how true that is.

I also have a degree in computer science and I'd prefer to choose an MOS that may give a slight leg up when job searching and build upon my current experience and background.

Thanks
    If your goal is to be competitive in the full time force of the guard, even though you mention 09S, I would still enlist for a job that has positions in a full time status. If 09S doesn't pan out, or you learn how much easier (its still hard though) to land a full time spot as enlisted than officer you would still want the proper MOS.

Those MOS are 92Y, 42A primarily. The main MOS of manuever units can also give opportunity such as 11B and 13 series if you have those in your state.

There are some I.T type jobs out there, and you may be eligible to warrant officer positions if you are interested there, since you have a computer science degree.

Comment

Yeah 92Y was an option a few months ago when I first started looking into everything but that has since been removed as an option. 42A would also fit my background but that one also is not available right now.

My recruiter also recommended the enlisted side if full time employment is wanted so that is why I've started to reconsider my options.

13F and 13B are currently available and they sound like more fun than the "office" jobs. There are full time positions that open up for those in the state? I'm in NJ.

Comment

Yeah 92Y was an option a few months ago when I first started looking into everything but that has since been removed as an option. 42A would also fit my background but that one also is not available right now.

My recruiter also recommended the enlisted side if full time employment is wanted so that is why I've started to reconsider my options.

13F and 13B are currently available and they sound like more fun than the "office" jobs. There are full time positions that open up for those in the state? I'm in NJ.
        There may be just not as many. 13F and 13B as a full time job wouldn't be doing that type of work. For example, a military police unit has a readiness nco and a training nco. Those two people are MP's, 31B, but their day to day work load is more of an admin guy running the unit. It would be the same scenario for a field artillery unit.

Comment

Honestly the easiest route (but also still pretty hard) to a full time spot in the Guard is to become a recruiter. Which is a position that any MOS can apply for once you complete all your training.

Comment

Funny you should mention the recruiter job. I've really been looking at that as an option as well but I would imagine that I'd have to be enlisted for at least a few years before that is an option. E-5 or above??

Comment

Funny you should mention the recruiter job. I've really been looking at that as an option as well but I would imagine that I'd have to be enlisted for at least a few years before that is an option. E-5 or above??
              Each state will have its own unique requirements. Most of the time you can apply as an E-4 who has completed WLC (its the course you take for E-5)

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                Each state will have its own unique requirements. Most of the time you can apply as an E-4 who has completed WLC (its the course you take for E-5)
                Ok thanks, that is good to know!

Can anyone comment on being in intel(35 series) or having a security clearance being a legitimate advantage in getting full time employment as a civilian or for a government agency? My assumption is that it would but want to make sure that is not bogus.

Comment

I have not met an 88M with a clearance-which does not mean that they do not have them (consider certain units). At the same time truckers are an integral part of the nations logistic system in the civilian/military world. A clearance is good for civilian employment, the resume, and options to pursue in the military. If want to drive trucks go 88M. If want a security clearance 'steer' towards an MOS that requires a clearance. "Pump your brakes' and decide what is the best fit for your career.

Comment

Actually, wlc is required to get E-6. You can get E-5 without it. 88M is not intellectually stimulating. Choose another mos...

Comment

Working...
                    X