Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21D - Diver

Hi all,

Does anyone know in which states 21D is offered? I live in California and was hoping they had it here but so far I have only found a dive unit in Texas.

Thanks!
    Chris

Re: 21D - Diver

Texas. The detachment is somewhere near the Gulf, as you might imagine. Brownsville? I'm not sure. It's very hard to get in.

Comment

Texas seems to have all the best **** as far as the NG is concerned. I'm really considering an IST there after I get back from deployment, my state sucks the donkey nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by luv2travel View Post
        Hi all,

Does anyone know in which states 21D is offered? I live in California and was hoping they had it here but so far I have only found a dive unit in Texas.

Thanks!
        Chris
        By the way: Its no longer 21D, its now 12D-Diver

There are very few states with 12D MOS. Plus, they are usually filled up and no openings available for enlistment.

Puerto Rico was the last to have 12D available.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
          Texas seems to have all the best **** as far as the NG is concerned. I'm really considering an IST there after I get back from deployment, my state sucks the donkey nuts.
          Don't complain just yet! Mine is probably worse!

Anyways, I've taken up a huge interest in diving recently. I've completed the PADI Open Water, Advanced Open Water, and Rescue Diver courses within the past 3 months. I also went down to Cancun for the Cavern Diver specialty. I'm shooting to get into tech diving.
          Last edited by Polo08816; October 29th, 2012, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
            Don't complain just yet! Mine is probably worse!

Anyways, I've taken up a huge interest in diving recently. I've completed the PADI Open Water, Advanced Open Water, and Rescue Diver courses within the past 3 months. I also went down to Cancun for the Cavern Diver specialty. I'm shooting to get into tech diving.
            LOL! Based on what I've read here in the forums I would say your state has mine beat, however we don't seem to be too far behind.

Working as a diving tech is pretty interesting, a lot of money can be had if your willing to do some risky diving projects. I read an article a while back about civilian divers working at nuclear power plants, specifically in the radio active waste water. Absolutely nuts.

luv2travel, what are your reasons for wanting 12D? Are you strickly looking at the NG or are you considering active duty as well?

Comment

LOL! Based on what I've read here in the forums I would say your state has mine beat, however we don't seem to be too far behind.

Working as a diving tech is pretty interesting, a lot of money can be had if your willing to do some risky diving projects. I read an article a while back about civilian divers working at nuclear power plants, specifically in the radio active waste water. Absolutely nuts.

luv2travel, what are your reasons for wanting 12D? Are you strickly looking at the NG or are you considering active duty as well?
              Count me out of that.

Comment

Thank you all for the info. Strange that the NG website still lists it as 21D but I see that it is now 12D.

As for why I want to do the job, I love diving. I am also wanting a change of career so whatever job I do in the Guard I also plan on doing in the civilian world. So I am looking at something I will enjoy spending a lot of time doing. I am currently transferring from ANG to ARNG. Since I am in the Guard I imagine it would be more difficult to switch to active? I already have a DD368 signed to switch to the Guard. At the time I didn't even think about the possibility of Active Duty Army.

Comment

Ah, well switching from Army NG to active duty is not that easy these days. Plus active duty has pretty stringent rules for prior service in regards to MOS and rank. Its too bad because although 12D is a very rare MOS for the Army there are some 12D on the active side. Last I heard there was an active duty 12D company in Hawaii. Talk about a sweet job that would be!

Comment

Ah, well switching from Army NG to active duty is not that easy these days. Plus active duty has pretty stringent rules for prior service in regards to MOS and rank. Its too bad because although 12D is a very rare MOS for the Army there are some 12D on the active side. Last I heard there was an active duty 12D company in Hawaii. Talk about a sweet job that would be!
                    I had a soldier go from ARNG 11B to Active Duty 68W. He was stationed in Hawaii and then somehow went to dive school and is now a 12D.

Three MOSs for a E-4 on Active Duty is pretty awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by luv2travel View Post
                      Thank you all for the info. Strange that the NG website still lists it as 21D but I see that it is now 12D.

I am currently transferring from ANG to ARNG. Since I am in the Guard I imagine it would be more difficult to switch to active? I already have a DD368 signed to switch to the Guard. At the time I didn't even think about the possibility of Active Duty Army.
                      You do realize that going blue to green you will need to go through the Warrior Transition Course (I think they still call it that) to re-brush up on basic training things the Army way. Transfering and changing jobs at the same time is possible, but it isn't always the best way to keep all of your current rank. If you are an NCO, you probably won't get to keep it all anyways, but I'm sure you know that if you already have the DD368 signed. And yes going from any reserve branch to Active duty right now is difficult at best. Changing branches while transfering to active is even tougher. Good luck with your endeavor.

Comment

Originally posted by SNOC View Post
                        You do realize that going blue to green you will need to go through the Warrior Transition Course (I think they still call it that) to re-brush up on basic training things the Army way. Transfering and changing jobs at the same time is possible, but it isn't always the best way to keep all of your current rank. If you are an NCO, you probably won't get to keep it all anyways, but I'm sure you know that if you already have the DD368 signed. And yes going from any reserve branch to Active duty right now is difficult at best. Changing branches while transfering to active is even tougher. Good luck with your endeavor.
                        I think there's been a change in that there are only certain MOSs that the Army will accept from the Air Force and Navy that will not have to attend BCT.

Comment

Yup. You need to have completed special ops or AF security training.
                          Last edited by SteveLord; November 2nd, 2012, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Actually they no longer have the Warrior Transition program, I wish they did. I will have to go through basic again but am ready to do so. I was actually in the Pipeline for Combat Control but decided not to stick with it. Even though I have to go through basic, in a way I don't mind as it really is a different skill set than Air Force BMT. With any luck I will be swearing in next week.

Comment

Working...
                            X