X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42A- Human Resource

I am looking at joining at 33 years old and have a family. I am thinking of 42A as MOS since my background is in sales and HR. How is this job in the Guard? Are there opportunities to deploy? I am also considering going AGR or Technician so I can go full time and from what I have read, it appears this field is one of the positions that may have full time opportunities. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. I am contemplating job but this appears to be my first choice. I need something that can relate to either full time employment in the guard or help in a civilian career.

Re: 42A- Human Resource

Yes, 42A is a good choice for "potential" full time positions, however they are EXTREMELY competitive and hard to come by so I would not enlist thinking that the full time position was something you could expect. As far as deployments, its can be as much as everyone else. I know people say infantry deploy the most, but there's pretty much a 42A deploying with their headquarters unit each time.

Also, many units don't always utilize their part time 42A's very well unfortunately. Especially now days because a lot of what has to be done requires additional training that normally just the full time people get.

I didn't enlist as a 42A, but was fortunate to get an AGR job years ago and it has been a very rewarding MOS. Solving soldier's problems, getting them paid and promoted is exciting.

Comment

+1

There are full time 42A positions that come up from time to time.

Comment

This is a little on the side, but if you want to get an AGR job does it need to be in your MOS or can it be something different? I assume while working full time with the Guard you would still drill as your initial MOS with your unit every month? How does this work?

Comment

It depends, some technician jobs allow you to drill in an mos different from your daily job. AGR jobs however do the same job at drill as during the week. You would have to reclass if you don't hold the MOS.

Comment

The only other career I was considering was Supply. Would you say there are more full time opportunities with 42A or Supply? what about For deployments?

Comment

Supply and Admin are about equal as far as AGR opportunities go. The only thing may be that there are more entry level positions for 42A as compared to 92Y. "most" all unit level supply jobs start at E6. That is not to say an E4 can't get hired into one of these positions, but it would be the exception rather than the rule.

Comment

I'd pick the 42A as well. When I look at our state EPS list, I notice that 80% of our 42A's E5 and above are AGR or Dual Status Technicians.

Comment

Working...
                X