Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13B (M109 Paladin crewman specifically)

I'm going through the process of joining the ARNG since getting out of the Marines a few years back. I was artillery in the Corps and when I went through Ft. Sill in '04 we trained on the M198 and later transitioned to the M777 when I was in the fleet.

The unit that I am going into uses the Paladin; since I don't have to go back to Ft. Sill how much of a learning curve is there to the Paladin when transitioning from the 777 or 198? I'm sure that the basic principles are the same but am not too sure about some of the more intricate details of the job. I am looking forward to not having to do all of the emplacement necessary for a towed howitzer though!

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Re: 13B (M109 Paladin crewman specifically)

I was in the Corp in the early '80s. The unit I was with used the M109 and then to better support the grunts stationed nearby we were told that we would transition to the M198. Everything is basically the same, other than shifting trails, and then shifting again when forward control messed up some numbers! Being self-propelled, you can just move into position, get a boresight, and be ready to shoot. No humping ammo from the trucks. All the positions are the same for gunner and A-gunner. Instead of shifting trails, the turret is moved. Also nice is the hydraulic ram to seat the round. I really missed the little bit of security you got by being behind a little bit of "armor" even if it was just aluminum.

Comment

Working...
    X