X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12Y - Geospatial Engineer

I'm sure this is going to be a long shot based on my other internet research, but I was just wondering if there is anyone who is currently or has been a 12Y (previously 21Y) - Geospatial Engineer? The Medic positions in my state are way overbooked, but apparently I scored high enough on my ASVAB to qualify for this position. I'm familiar with what Geospatial Techs do in the civilian world, as this is a Masters program I had been considering, but I'm just looking for some info on what this MOS does in the Guard. There does not seem to be a lot of information about it out there about this in general, let alone how it translated over to NG duties.

I was also wondering if anyone could highlight their experiences going through the extended eye exam for this MOS? I wear glasses but its a very light prescription and I don't actually wear them 99% of the time. I can't really get any insight about the exam out of my recruiter other than its 'crazy'.

Also,those who have gone through the process of a TS clearance. I know the clearance is different for everyone based on what they find, but I've been busting my butt this weekend gathering all of the info needed for the forms and I'm just curious who they decide to talk to and about what? I have not spoken to my father in about 15 years and all of my step-siblings are much older than I am and we do not really interact at all, so I can't imagine they are going to get a lot of real info out of those people! I've heard a lot about going to talk to neighbors, but other than where I've lived for the last 5 years I really didn't know any of my neighbors! I will be an experience I'm sure. I have no criminal history so I'm not really worried, but still very curious!

Re: 12Y - Geospatial Engineer

Let me address a portion of your question, regarding the TS clearance.

The investigator may seek to talk to various personages in your life, so list all information accurately. If you don't know something, or only know part of it, then list that as well, with explanatory notes that your information is spotty because of family estrangements. I doubt you've got something in your life that the investigator hasn't seen before.

You should only worry about the investigation if there's something to find. Your next-door neighbor can tell the investigator all sorts of lurid tales of murder and debauchery, which will ultimately make no difference if he can't find any corroboration. The worst that happens is that you wait a few extra weeks for your full clearance. You won't get denied based on a trifle. The agency bases the investigation on the "whole person." Ultimately it's a judgment call, although we can divine a profile of who tends to get a clearance and who tends not to.

The majority of people who have clearances denied are those who:
    1. Lie on the application form or to the investigator.
    2. Knowingly conceal information (which is effectively the same as #1).
    3. Have legitimate unresolved problems that make them security risks (either one big problem, or a number of small problems that all add up). Such problems tend to revolve around poor money management (making you an easy target for bribery), poor impulse control (making you an easy target for blackmail, entrapment, or enticement), or have divided loyalties (through a history of behavior, not merely from an ethnicity, religion, or political sympathies).

A single incident of any of the #3 may be enough to deny you, if it's either very egregious (e.g., murder), or very recent (so it's not clear whether this was a one-time lapse, or the start of a trend). A number of small things, each of which may be no big deal, can also prevent your clearance, because they all add up.

Recruiter War Story #723: I had an applicant for a SECRET (lower standard than for TS) who was born in Egypt. And had extensive family in Egypt. And visited Egypt several times per year. And lived a lifestyle above his station, because he got a yearly allowance of money from his family in Egypt. And had some misdemeanor convictions over the years. Any one of those things won't make a difference, but taken all together they add up, and he didn't get his clearance.

Comment

You will LOOVE Fort Belvoir.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
        You will LOOVE Fort Belvoir.....
        Ya, thats too bad they moved the training to Ft. Leonard Wood!

Comment

Well I thought I'd go ahead and post up some more info on this in case anyone else ever came along looking for answers. I went to MEPS on Wednesday and spent 12 hours there, eventually getting timed out and needing to return today to finish up my contract. This was mostly due to the very slow processing of medical. I think its safe to say that everyone in the Guard office figured I would not be passing that day. Apparently they have had two other people come in for the 12Y and both DQ'd on either the security screening or the eye exam. Even my security clearance interviewer was impressed that he was finally seeing a qualified candidate. I'm not sure why more bonuses are not associated with this MOS since it seems to be so hard to fill.

Anywho, I'm not sure what the ruckus was on the extra stereoscopic eye exam. Basically its a 3D thing. There are 6 blocks with 3 rows each of 4 circles. Each row has one circle that pops out more than the others. Some are really popping and obvious, but there are a couple that you have to take your time to decide. I can easily see why those who have made comments about being rushed through the test failed. Luckily for me I was in the room alone with the examiner, and although they were already running over their day she never once rushed me. I ended up with a perfect score. It is my understanding in order to pass the test you must complete all 6 blocks in under 175 seconds...not sure how many you need to get right.

Comment

Just wanted to pop back in with more updates for future 12Y's. I was very surprised to hear from the Federal Security Investigator on Friday who called wanting to set up an interview. Surprised because its only been 2 months since I enlisted, and surprised because I had not heard back from any of my references that they had been contacted. Everything I've read or had been told was that the interviewer would talk to all these other people first, and then me, to see if there were any discrepancies. It does sound like she was trying to get everything wrapped up this week to send off to the adjudicator, I know she is interviewing two of my references tomorrow.

I think the interview went well, we pretty much just went over my form verbatim. I gave her a few more additional contacts to call. She did make the comment that the form I filled out here via the Path to Honor did not ask about ANY past drug use, just use in the last 7 years, so she was surprised that I voluntarily admitted use in high school. I told her that when I filled it out it asked for any and I was just trying to be honest. *shrug*

I know they have already pulled my credit history because I was notified of that. So it looks like I'm on track here to hopefully get cleared before I leave for BCT in September which would be great. One less thing to deal with and worry about.

Comment

So they weren't really worried about your drug use in high school? That's a relief.

I just had a Soldier graduate here a month ago. He was first in the class (prior Engineer). It was a mix of NCOs and AIT. Of the Active Duty, half went to Hawaii, two went to England, a couple went to Germany, and the rest were Guard/Reserve.

Comment

No, but the pre-screener I went through at MEPS wasn't worried about it either. He said no one was going to care, as long as I'm not still using which I'm not. The investigator actually seemed annoyed that I included it when I didn't have to because it was just another step she would have to take. But like I said when I filled out the form online it said ever, not 7 years so thats why I admitted it.

Comment

Originally posted by Solrider View Post
                  No, but the pre-screener I went through at MEPS wasn't worried about it either. He said no one was going to care, as long as I'm not still using which I'm not. The investigator actually seemed annoyed that I included it when I didn't have to because it was just another step she would have to take. But like I said when I filled out the form online it said ever, not 7 years so thats why I admitted it.
                  Im well was going through the same Process i enlisted at the end of feb in the active army as a 12y Geospatial Engineer and about 2 months after i got a call from a investigator lol i was pretty nerveous but yeah she only had to go as far backas to when i turned 18 which was last year so not that bad she was really nice she met with my friends and everything evn went back to my highschool. She said she would be done with my background check by yesterday and that i would hear somthing sooner or later but im feeling pretty good about it given the fact i really havent done anything no drugs nothing and she told me that im in good shape!

i ship out on July 17th 2012 to Fort Sill then off to what im still confused about is AIT in Fort Leonardwood or Fort Belvior does anyone know
                  then i go to Airborne school after AIT which is so long so i wont complete Airborne school until March of next year!

im glad i found this because it has been **** trying to find some info on anything about this mos i guess given the nature of it i suppose.

Comment

Hey there, sorry I didn't see your message before answering it via PM. But yes the program as moved to Leonardwood from what I've been told. A very nice 2LT from E Company at Belvior wrote me back and said the only classes they have there now are the AIT 12Y that have already started. They are completing their final class in August. Warrant, NCO and AIT classes are all taking place at Leonardwood.

It sounds like you will be finishing up just a month or so after I start there, but stay in touch. It would be nice to get some info from someone actually going through the program for a change!

Comment

Just thought I'd post another update. Got a call back from the investigator today and the investigation continues. Seems she didn't talk to enough people who could verify my addresses so she was asking for my boyfriends number since he has been my domestic partner for so long. He was listed so I'm not sure why she didn't have that info. Also was asking more questions about our friends wife who is a non-citizen from Finland. Wanted to know her birthday, about her parents etc. I'm not sure why these questions weren't asked of her husband when he was interviewed. Anyway, that was it, mostly sounded like it was just areas where she dropped the ball. Hopefully she can get with my significant other this week and the process can finally move along.

Comment

Its not often you hear any news about the 12Y courses, but I saw this posted up on the Leonard Wood publication today, so I thought I'd share!

http://www.myguidon.com/index.php?op...5119&Itemid=39

Comment

Originally posted by Solrider View Post
                          Its not often you hear any news about the 12Y courses, but I saw this posted up on the Leonard Wood publication today, so I thought I'd share!

http://www.myguidon.com/index.php?op...5119&Itemid=39
                          Cool! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

It's nice to see a thread on this MOS. I joined back in April (2012) and opted for split training so I have had tons of time to try and do some research on this MOS... and have come up with literally nothing. I went to basic already and done all of that, so I am eager to hear of any news you have on the MOS. Apparently I got a reservation for a class at Ft. Belvoir back before they transferred the school so thats where I will be doing my training (no idea how that will work to be honest). How can you still have training at a base when clearly all of the NCO's and support has been moved to Ft. Leonard Wood? It's all very confusing, no one has even heard of the Geospatial Engineer MOS at all the stations I've been at

Comment

A lot with this MOS has to do with what kind of unit, the equipment you have access to and the leadership. The MOS is basically GIS and map making in the same job or think of it as Google Earth on steroids. The school just moved from Ft Belvoir which houses the Army's topographic assets.

Comment

Working...
                              X