Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 31B Questions (Military Police)

Greetings everyone!

My name is Travis, I am 20 years old, currently living in Florida. I am currently looking in to the National Guard as a way to get my life started. I am majoring in Law Enforcement, Corrections and so forth. I wish to become a Federal Agent in my future. I have done some research, but I am still left with questions of my own. I am not looking for a magical path to be laid out in front of me.

I read about the National Guard having a MP field you can enter in to, however I have a lot of questions.

With the National Guard, it says you are paid for training, you get guard pay (when you are called for service?) and paid for drilling.
    -My question, is this all you have too do when you join the NG?

Career Choice
    -I wish to become a MP, is this basically my new career (job within the NG)? Do I work 40 hours a week doing so? Or is this something that only happens when I am called for serve?

MOS Guarantee
    -It has been on my mind since I first looked in to the Military Police, I was wondering if there is any guarantee you can pursue this upon entry or if it is more of the "luck of a draw."

I am going to contact a recruiter relatively soon, however, I wanted to see if perhaps any of my peers could enlighten me on what to expect.

Thank you for your time,

Travis
    Last edited by Travis Van Vliet; February 6th, 2012, 03:45 PM.

Re: 31B Questions (Military Police)

I was an Armp MP but we have a JAG NCO on this forum that can better answer your questions. If you enlist in the Guard, your commitment is one weekend a month and two-weeks annual training unless deployed or called for state emergencies or missions.
    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; February 6th, 2012, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
      If you enlist in the Guard, your commitment is one weekend a month and two-weeks annual training unless deployed or called for state emergencies or missions.
      Thank you, however I am still left with the question in regards to the career fields. If you go in to become a MP, is that basically your full time employment 40+ hour a week job, as if you were working for a federal company? Would you be paid for this "job" choice as like other civilian jobs?

I am sorry for the questions, but I honestly do not have a lot of knowledge when it comes to working for the military.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
        If you enlist in the Guard, your commitment is one weekend a month and two-weeks annual training unless deployed or called for state emergencies or missions.
        Thank you, however I am still left with the question in regards to the career fields. If you go in to become a MP, is that basically your full time employment 40+ hour a week job, as if you were working for a federal company? Would you be paid for this "job" choice as like other civilian jobs?

I am sorry for the questions, but I honestly do not have a lot of knowledge when it comes to working for the military.

Comment

You will assemble only one weekend a month after your basic training is complete. you can maintain fulltimne student status or work full time, For a two week period at some point throughout the year, you will be sent away for two weeks to conduct annual training. then you return home, to your once a month weekend training. If deployed, you will be doing MP duties on a full time basis in your designated area of operation.

Comment

Since this was so close to the top I thought I'd ask my question here rather than start a new topic. Just curious about what the likelihood of becoming an MP dog handler in the NG was? Is this a different skill identifier I need to get in my contract, or are there even dog handlers in the NG?

Comment

K9 assignments are hard to get for MPs on active duty. You have to find out where is your K9 unit in your state. You do not get it in your initial enlistment contract. This is something that you apply for with some years experience under your belt.

http://www.ng.mil/news/archives/2011...nnecticut.aspx

The above link answers your other question.

Comment

I am a NG Military police Officer. This MOS iS MORE INTENSE Than a regular local patrol officer. if you really looking for a law enforcement career this is one of the best ways to get started so when you get into your law enforcement career you will be ahead of the game by far. i am a active MP i work up to 40-hrs a week. you will get assigned a base, and patrol vehicle. when u enlist, on your enlistment contract it will say what your mos is if this is what u really want you can become it its very hard at basic and ait but when u graduate ait everything will go smoothly for a while until you get deployed somewhere.

Comment

Being a MP in no way will help you with a civilian LE career. The average MP knows just enough to be dangerous and lacks experience. Not to mention, there's a huge difference on how a civilian and military LE handles things. A rookie cop who just completed their academy and FTO program has more training and street experience then the average senior MP NCO. And that’s active duty. I’ve seen NG/USAR that don’t even have LE gear to issue out.

A degree will serve you far better in getting a LE job, especially if you can pick up a language.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                    I’ve seen NG/USAR that don’t even have LE gear to issue out.

My issued baton is pretty much just a stick lol

Comment

Originally posted by NG_31B.MP View Post
                      I am a NG Military police Officer. This MOS iS MORE INTENSE Than a regular local patrol officer. if you really looking for a law enforcement career this is one of the best ways to get started so when you get into your law enforcement career you will be ahead of the game by far. i am a active MP i work up to 40-hrs a week. you will get assigned a base, and patrol vehicle. when u enlist, on your enlistment contract it will say what your mos is if this is what u really want you can become it its very hard at basic and ait but when u graduate ait everything will go smoothly for a while until you get deployed somewhere.
                      A mod might want to delete this post before people see it and think its true.

Comment

hey guys i know that this thread is a little old but i was someone would hopefully be able to answer im currently looking into joinging the national guard. I already took the asvab and scored an 85 and was originally looking to be an mp my heart is really set on that. i did a little more research and came to find out that mp's get deployed a lot and for a year at a time maybe more and that there not exactly said to be. looked like from what i was told they did a lot of patrolling on base and a lot of patrolling and work on the field in areas like Afganistan and almost like being in infantry if soo how dangerous is this job compared to infantry and what not just looking for some insight and wondering how this job really is because im also looking to do a 6 year contract with the guard not the 3 year. Thank you if any one could help

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                          A mod might want to delete this post before people see it and think its true.
                          He's probably trolling. Great 1st post.

Comment

Originally posted by 31b View Post
                            hey guys i know that this thread is a little old but i was someone would hopefully be able to answer im currently looking into joinging the national guard. I already took the asvab and scored an 85 and was originally looking to be an mp my heart is really set on that. i did a little more research and came to find out that mp's get deployed a lot and for a year at a time maybe more and that there not exactly said to be. looked like from what i was told they did a lot of patrolling on base and a lot of patrolling and work on the field in areas like Afganistan and almost like being in infantry if soo how dangerous is this job compared to infantry and what not just looking for some insight and wondering how this job really is because im also looking to do a 6 year contract with the guard not the 3 year. Thank you if any one could help
                            Perhaps a more important question is, does the danger level between Infantry and MP's matter? Any MOS that puts Soldiers out there near or on the "front lines" is dangerous. That's not even considering that being deployed PERIOD has it's own risks. It is war, after all. So, a more important question to ask yourself is how you feel about deployments as a whole. Keep in mind that it is a Soldier's duty to be ready for whatever the mission calls for.

Comment

As a former combat MP, I have provided an abundance of information about the expectations of an MP in a garrison and tactical environment. 31b needs to search.

Comment

Working...
                              X