X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will depression disqualify me from achieving my goal

Good evening everybody, I seriously need your guys help please. As you can see I was "diganosed" with depression about three years ago and I'm so worried that will disqualify me, but let me explain so you could tell me if their is a possibility of me being able to join. So about three years ago me and my ex girlfriend got in a huge fight, I stormed out of my house. Long story short she got worried about me because I wasn't answering her phone calls and called the police. They found me walking around town and took me to the hospital to be evaluated. The hospital released me that night as I said I was going to make an appointment with a psychiatrist the following day. The next day rolls around I made an appointment to see a psychiatrist and the following day I go in for an "evaluation" where the guy ask me a bunch of questions without even looking at me once, and at the end of the session says I have depression and bipolar and gives me a prescription for both. I filled the prescription once and stopped taking the pills after like three weeks and stopped going back to the psychiatrist because I felt like I didn't even need them in the first place.i never did self harm or anything like that. But now I face a dilemma. I've come to the point in my life where I realized I want to do something bigger than me and do something great with my life. I want to join the massachusetts national guard but I'm pretty sure my "history" of depression and bipolar will dq me. Is there a way I can still join? As I said it's not like I was suicidal or anything its just because my ex gf called the cops. Could I get a waiver? Or meet with a doctor approved by the guard or something so I can join? More specifically I want to be part of the nation's first infantry. Please any answers would be a huge help! !!

If you have been diagnosed with depression and being bipolar you do not qualify for military service. If, however, you are willing to give it a shot, you should see your psychiatrist for a new evaluation. You'll want to collect all medical documents from your original diagnoses along with your latest evaluation. A Recruiter will submit these docs to the MEPS doc who may or may not disqualify you, recommend another psych eval or recommend a waiver.

I would contact a local Recruiter & seek their advice. Best of luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by NYGuardRecruiter View Post
      If you have been diagnosed with depression and being bipolar you do not qualify for military service. If, however, you are willing to give it a shot, you should see your psychiatrist for a new evaluation. You'll want to collect all medical documents from your original diagnoses along with your latest evaluation. A Recruiter will submit these docs to the MEPS doc who may or may not disqualify you, recommend another psych eval or recommend a waiver. I would contact a local Recruiter & seek their advice. Best of luck!!
      Thank you so much for you your quick response. I do have a follow up question though. If I am allowed to join after getting approval will I be limited to what mos' I can do? Like I said i really want to be infantry, if that's not possible maybe field artillery? So would that be possible? Even with a waiver?

Comment

Working...
      X