Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lying at MEPS, but tell truth on TS Clearance?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lying at MEPS, but tell truth on TS Clearance?

Hello,
    I want my MOS to be 35, 35M, or 35F with an op 4 contract because my dream is to become a ranger with the 5 regiment. I however, had a few medical history incidents. I broke my eye orbital when I was 14 from a baseball but its healed up now and I have 20/20 corrected vision with glasses. I later received a concussion that wasn't that serious when I was 15 from boxing but I'm perfectly fine now. I also had to get stitches on my shin, and 3 times on my head when I cracked it open, and staples in my head once. Will these disqualify me from the TS Clearance? My recruiter said to not mention it at meps and that these injuries never happened.

First, there is no 5 Ranger Regiment. You may have meant to type 75th. Second this is a National Guard forum, we can help you with your question about meps and TS clearances but I hope you understand that there is no option 40 contract in the National Guard. The National Guard does have Special Forces units, the 19th and 20h SFG but that is it. If you want to be a Ranger you have to be active duty.

For meps: I'm not suggesting or advocating that you lie when you go to meps and neither is your recruiter. I'll give you my personal example. I have/had asthma when I was younger but grew out of it around 17 years old. I decided it was best not to tell meps about my adolescent illness since it was no longer relevant and did not affect me or my ability to serve the country.

For the TS, come clean with everything in your past upfront, especially if there are records of it somewhere ie the investigator can discover it. I have known people that screwed up earlier in life get a secret clearance. And I personally know a NCO who was court martialed (found not guilty) but also under went a lengthy investigation that did prove a host of other things that he wasn't brought up on charges for manage to get a TS. The key was he disclosed EVERYTHING to the investigator. I'm going to assume his case was rare but it goes to show its possible.

Comment

In addition to Explosive Hazard setting you straight, you do not need a TS clearance to be a Ranger, you need a Secret. You will however fill out the same form either way. That form is an SF-86 which you can google and look at everything it will ask you. No where does it care about broken bones and such. That will be a non issue. What is important here is you understand the difference in each Army Component and what they have to offer.

Comment

Yes I meant 75th regiment sorry about that. Also, being a ranger does require just a secret security clearance, but for the intel mos' I want, they do require for a TS clearance. So I can say everything to the investigator that I said wasn't true at meps, I could still get a clearance?

Comment

• realitycheck
          realitycheck commented
          Editing a comment
          Are you really having this difficult of a time with this? Look at the form. Please point to the question where it asks you about an eye orbital or vision acuity. (it doesn't)

You're not going to say any of it to the investigator, because he isn't going to give a rats @$$

The investigators are not going to focus on medical stuff. They are going to determine if you are a security risk and if you can be trusted with secret information. Things that can hurt your chances of getting a clearance are blemishes in your background. Even a small one, if you don't disclose the event and they find out you left out the information or misled them they will not clear you. If they ask you medical questions then answer them honestly. That is the best you can do.

Comment

• realitycheck
          realitycheck commented
          Editing a comment
          They only go over the form. If its not on the SF-86....they don't bring it up.

Good to know.

Comment

I did not notice the form. thank you so much and weight has been lifted off my chest. thank you

Comment

Working...
          X