Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career jobs regarding deployment

Hello,
    I am a teenager looking to join the guard at an early age. I'd like to start the process of registering for actually being in the guard and doing boot camp and all that goes up to it,
    but right now I am trying to convince my parents and assure them that I'd be okay and that I'm good for it. They are mainly worried about my well-being and safety. Their biggest issue is that they believe I will most likely be deployed in the coming years, if I joined the NG, and they don't want me to go anywhere overseas. I personally would be interested in this, but if I can do anything along the lines of what interests me, I'll still want to try and join ( I still don't have full knowledge or a clear distinction between each kind of job in the NG ). But I want to do this now and do the Split Training Option and go to college. I really want to do this and I feel very obligated to. I tried to contact a local recruiter, and filled out the online application, but I feel since I indicated that I had not yet completed high school he probably won't decide to contact me till fairly later, and right now I'm discerning whether or not to take summer college classes or try to hold out on this.
    If anyone could give me assuring info for my parents or something or tell me if there are ANY jobs where I wouldn't be deployed, I'd greatly appreciate it. I have high hopes for this, sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by RJFct; March 25th, 2014, 03:51 PM.

There are no jobs/MOSs that can not be deployed. The Army National Guard is a component of the Army, you are a soldier and all soldiers have the possibility of being deployed.

Now as for the chance of actually seeing physical combat is highly dependent on your MOS. If you were to choose a MOS that is more in a support/administrative role, then your chances will be GREATLY reduced versus choosing say Infantryman (11B), which is their primary role to find and engage with the enemy.

To view a list of Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) please review the MOS category on the forums.
    Last edited by SF Hunter; March 25th, 2014, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RJFct View Post
      Hello,
      I am a teenager looking to join the guard at an early age. I'd like to start the process of registering for actually being in the guard and doing boot camp and all that goes up to it,
      but right now I am trying to convince my parents and assure them that I'd be okay and that I'm good for it. They are mainly worried about my well-being and safety. Their biggest issue is that they believe I will most likely be deployed in the coming years, if I joined the NG, and they don't want me to go anywhere overseas. I personally would be interested in this, but if I can do anything along the lines of what interests me, I'll still want to try and join ( I still don't have full knowledge or a clear distinction between each kind of job in the NG ). But I want to do this now and do the Split Training Option and go to college. I really want to do this and I feel very obligated to. I tried to contact a local recruiter, and filled out the online application, but I feel since I indicated that I had not yet completed high school he probably won't decide to contact me till fairly later, and right now I'm discerning whether or not to take summer college classes or try to hold out on this.
      If anyone could give me assuring info for my parents or something or tell me if there are ANY jobs where I wouldn't be deployed, I'd greatly appreciate it. I have high hopes for this, sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance.
      The most dangerous thing anyone will ever do in their life..EVER is drive a car. Yet I am sure your parents are excited when you get a license...yet hesitant to join the military. This is because they are uneducated in what it is really like over there and in the military in general. Educate them.

Comment

I was a recruiter 2003-2007, so I dealt with a number of concerned parents and girlfriends. I found a professor of demography who did a professional academic study about just how dangerous it was to serve in the military. At the height of the Iraq war, the average servicemember in Iraq had 2.5 times the likelihood of dying as he would have as a civilian at home. That's significant, but 2.5 times of a small number still isn't all that great.

Of course military service is dangerous, although it's not as dangerous as one might think. I know more Soldiers who died in vehicle accidents and early heart disease than died in the wars.

As a practical matter, getting deployed is rather unlikely right now. Iraq is over, Afghanistan is winding down. I can make no promises about tomorrow, and that can all change in an instant as it did on 9-11. Speaking of 9-11, almost 3000 civilians in American died that day in one hour ... it would take several years of combat in two wars for military deaths to reach that number. Just giving a little perspective.

Comment

Working...
        X