X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When can I apply?

Hello all. I'm another person looking to join the National Guard and in my case, the Pennsylvania National Guard. I was just wondering when I could apply as I'm starting 11th grade on September 9th here in Philadelphia. I am a A-B student with a random C every now and then~ but at the same time I don't think College is a good choice for me. Looking forward to go straight into the transportation workforce. CSX seemed like my initial choice but I changed to SEPTA. What steps~ do I take? Thank you for any answers.

Re: When can I apply?

Talk to your parents to get their blessing since you need their permission at 17. After that, talk to a recruiter. If you don't want to go directly to college, what not consider Active Duty? I'm not sure what the prospects are for HS Grads in Philly, but you'll more than likely come out better starting off.

Comment

BashirTheTrainMaster,
      You must be at least 17 and a Junior in high school with your parents' signed permission to enlist. You must also be on track to graduate on time. Since you are currently a Junior you could potentially enlist this year and do the Split Option Program. The Split Option Program allows you to go to basic training the summer between your Junior and Senior year and then return for your Senior year of high school. After you graduate from high school you would then go to Advanced Individual Training (job training). Once you complete your initial training you will return home and serve one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer with your assigned unit, unless deployed. Your assigned unit is typically within 50 miles of your home. This will give you the ability to pursue a full time civilian career as you were describing in your initial post and also provide you with a supplemental income. If your plans don't work out you can always fall back on the fact the Army National Guard offers education benefits to give you the opportunity to pursue a higher education.
      I highly recommend that you contact your local recruiter to discuss your options and invite your parents to come along. When parents are part of the process it makes them feel more involved and comfortable with the idea of their child joining.
      If you would like more information on your eligibility and how to contact your local recruiter, please call 1-800-Go-Guard (1800-464-8273) and they would be happy to assist you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sally22 View Post
        BashirTheTrainMaster,
        You must be at least 17 and a Junior in high school with your parents' signed permission to enlist.............
        Since my birthday is July 3rd and I will be 17 then, will I still be able to enlist with the Split Option Program? Or are there no "almost 17" exceptions?

Comment

You and your parents cannot sign the paperwork until you are actually 17. You could do it on the very day of your birthday, but no earlier than that.

Comment

BashirTheTrainMaster,
            Unfortunately you must be at least 17 years old. Since your 17th birthday is not until the summer between your Junior and Senior year, you would not meet the cut off to attend the summer basic training session. This would prevent you from being able to do the Split Option Program, unless you plan on going to college after high school. In your current scenario, you would not be able to ship to basic training until after your Senior year and then you would go to your job training directly after you complete basic.

Comment

Sally22, I will do that in the next few days,because my interest to join the National Guard is high. I appreciate your response and help,soon I will ask more questions,if needed,take care!

Comment

Originally posted by JerTal View Post
                Sally22, I will do that in the next few days,because my interest to join the National Guard is high. I appreciate your response and help,soon I will ask more questions,if needed,take care!
                RE: JerTal,
                Please do not hijack other posters threads. Next time if you have a separate question, please create your own thread in the appropriate category.
                Thank you.

Comment

Thank you all for clearing that up for me. I hoped that I could do this over next Summer so I wouldn't be in the house. That is all that interested me.

But if I do attempt to apply, is it a guaranteed no?
                  Last edited by BashirTheTrainMaster; September 4th, 2013, 06:18 PM.

Comment

If you meet the eligibility requirements, score at least a 31 on the ASVAB, and pass your physical examination then you can sign your enlistment contract and swear in.
                    The first step in the process is to get in contact with your local recruiter when you are closer to turning 17, to discuss your eligibility and specific options.

Since you are not turning 17 until next July and would need to be home for the start of your Senior year in the Fall, basic training is 100% off the table for next summer.

Comment

Working...
                    X