X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining disqualifications

I am currently 22 years old, soon 23, and a student at Penn State. I was curious if anyone could inform me if I would be eligible to join the National Guard given my 'criminal' background. Here is a little background on that/my situation. Almost immediately after turning 21 I received a summary offense of public drunkenness and then again several months later (before I was able to take classes and attempt to be put back on the right track) I slipped up again and received another. These occurred up at school, and through school i had to complete several alcohol classes and many hours of community service. I felt I had my problem of over consumption under control and was very cautious of my actions including when and how much I drank. 30 days before my lease was up and I would be leaving State College I was out with friends at a party. As usual I was cautious not to consume more than I could handle, and as the party died down I went to go home. My means of transportation that evening was a bicycle, as that is how I get around up there. Being there was no one on the road and I had most of my wits about me, I was biking leisurely back to my apartment. I came upon a red light which I only slowed down for and saw no cars coming so kept biking. A police officer told me to pull over. I did, followed all of his instructions and he determined me to be under the influence. At which point he detained me (8 blocks from my home) and proceeded as if I had been behind the wheel of a car. I was issued a DUI that evening, and I had no idea I could even receive a DUI, a misdemeanor offense, on a bike. In my mind I was being responsible but evidently not the case. Long story short my record has 2 summary offenses and currently a pending DUI (which I am going to go through Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD), to not appear as a guilty charge on my criminal record and upon successful completion can have 'expunged'). I understand I am unable to join until that probation has ended as was explained to me when I met with a recruiter. I am an Eagle Scout and have over 100 college credits, and did extremely well on the practice asvab. I only need a handful of classes to graduate and, for more reasons than one, I would really like to join the National Guard. I fear now I will have no chance of acceptance because of very dumb childish mistakes. I do not believes these smudges on my record attest to my true character and capability. Do I have any shot in hell in joining the NG? -If it has anything to do with it I am from far Northeast Philadelphia and am hoping to join the one located in that region.
    Are there specific things I should be doing for the next 12 months that would help my chances? (Aside from the obvious stay the hell out of trouble) Any and all input on this matter would be appreciated.

thanks
    -sean

Re: Joining disqualifications

You've got quite a bit going on. I'd recommend you take an hour to go sit down with a recruiter and tell them what you have going on.

Comment

Originally posted by sjb5355 View Post
      I am currently 22 years old, soon 23, and a student at Penn State. I was curious if anyone could inform me if I would be eligible to join the National Guard given my 'criminal' background. Here is a little background on that/my situation. Almost immediately after turning 21 I received a summary offense of public drunkenness and then again several months later (before I was able to take classes and attempt to be put back on the right track) I slipped up again and received another. These occurred up at school, and through school i had to complete several alcohol classes and many hours of community service. I felt I had my problem of over consumption under control and was very cautious of my actions including when and how much I drank. 30 days before my lease was up and I would be leaving State College I was out with friends at a party. As usual I was cautious not to consume more than I could handle, and as the party died down I went to go home. My means of transportation that evening was a bicycle, as that is how I get around up there. Being there was no one on the road and I had most of my wits about me, I was biking leisurely back to my apartment. I came upon a red light which I only slowed down for and saw no cars coming so kept biking. A police officer told me to pull over. I did, followed all of his instructions and he determined me to be under the influence. At which point he detained me (8 blocks from my home) and proceeded as if I had been behind the wheel of a car. I was issued a DUI that evening, and I had no idea I could even receive a DUI, a misdemeanor offense, on a bike. In my mind I was being responsible but evidently not the case. Long story short my record has 2 summary offenses and currently a pending DUI (which I am going to go through Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD), to not appear as a guilty charge on my criminal record and upon successful completion can have 'expunged'). I understand I am unable to join until that probation has ended as was explained to me when I met with a recruiter. I am an Eagle Scout and have over 100 college credits, and did extremely well on the practice asvab. I only need a handful of classes to graduate and, for more reasons than one, I would really like to join the National Guard. I fear now I will have no chance of acceptance because of very dumb childish mistakes. I do not believes these smudges on my record attest to my true character and capability. Do I have any shot in hell in joining the NG? -If it has anything to do with it I am from far Northeast Philadelphia and am hoping to join the one located in that region.
      Are there specific things I should be doing for the next 12 months that would help my chances? (Aside from the obvious stay the hell out of trouble) Any and all input on this matter would be appreciated.

thanks
      -sean
      You are already in alot of trouble, dont get in anymore man. Theres a Thin line, Your running on thin ice.

Comment

While these are hardly the worst crimes we've seen at Penn State, they are serious. Think about your situation from the perspective of a waiver authority. Since you have a "pattern" of alcohol abuse, think about what you can do to demonstrate that you are no longer a risk -- AA meetings, some sort of voluntary program, educational courses, volunteer work. Think of what you can do and document that demonstrates that you are under control.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
          While these are hardly the worst crimes we've seen at Penn State, they are serious. Think about your situation from the perspective of a waiver authority. Since you have a "pattern" of alcohol abuse, think about what you can do to demonstrate that you are no longer a risk -- AA meetings, some sort of voluntary program, educational courses, volunteer work. Think of what you can do and document that demonstrates that you are under control.
          +1

Very good advice. I'd do the AA meetings and stop drinking all together. If you really want to join you have to do whatever it takes. Good luck and keep your nose clean.

Comment

I appreciate all of the advice. Keeping my nose clean is priority #1. Hopefully I'll be able to build my resume up with enough positive things it will over shadow the negative. Also my thinking was that with the addition of a college degree, the National Guard would want me with my qualifications as opposed to just 'being accepted' - provided I can overcome my juvenile habits of being a dumbass and prove that to them. Again I really appreciate the input and I will give it what I got and hopefully it works out for the best.

Comment

Working...
            X