X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New - with questions!

Hello everybody! Starting off, I am a 24 yr old female looking into the Guard. I went and spoke with a recruiter on Friday, but since then more questions have popped up for me. I have been searching the forums for a couple days now and just have some specific questions on what I plan on doing or what I would like to do, I should say.

First off, by the time I would ship to BCT, I would have my 4 yr degree so I plan on going OCS through my state. (Niantic, CT). The recruiter I spoke with said I should start studying for the ASVAB (since the last time I took it was in highschool). Now, I went to the library yesterday and grabbed a bunch of books, have been taking practice tests online, etc. One of my questions is, what sort of scores do you need to qualify definitely for OCS. I asked him on Friday and he just said "I would shoot for high 70's and above" but when I told him what MOS's I would be interested in, he said technically when you go into OCS, you don't really have a MOS at that point. So going into BCT I won't really have a job. It would just change into "0000 or O1" (something along those lines, I'm just trying to go by memory since I've been cramming so much information). So to get to my question, since my route is to do state OCS, what should my ASVAB scores be? I told him I was interested in Infantry, Aviation and MI, not in any particular order. The way I saw it was to make sure I qualify for those jobs and go from there?

Also, I have been looking for other females that have gone through basic to see how different it was for men. I have a couple of friends that went through basic, but they are all men. Their experience will be a little different for me considering we go through different things. It's just small questions really, but if there are any other females that have gone through basic that may have had a semi-relatable feeling, please feel free to PM me.

Also, to anybody that has done the state OCS, how was it? The recruiter said it's definitely a lot of studying and you still have a lot of fitness tests you go through. On the weekends you go to OCS, can you stay there? It's about an hour and a half away from where I live. I remember reading somewhere on here that if you live a certain distance away, you can grab a hotel room at a discounted rate to be closer. And since I will be OCS, is this where I would have my "drill" weekends as well? (Sorry if those questions seemed the same but I'm still trying to figure out everything since there seems to be a lot to know and learn).

I think that's pretty much it for right now. He also said that I should sign up relatively quickly if I plan on it. He made a comment about my tattoos/piercings/gauged ears and said that I should start taking them all out now to give them time to close and since they are getting more strict about tattoos they will have to document each and everyone I have and take pictures and send them to the board to approve or deny. I know it's a long process but I just want to make sure I have everything I'm looking for and nothing is hidden or I miss anything before I start signing a contract. Thank you to everyone in advance if you can answer my questions, and if you need any additional information or questions, feel free to PM me.

Re: New - with questions!

First off, by the time I would ship to BCT, I would have my 4 yr degree so I plan on going OCS through my state. Congrats on graduating.

One of my questions is, what sort of scores do you need to qualify definitely for OCS. You have to have a 110 GT (one of the portions of the ASVAB. Google for the full listing)

So going into BCT I won't really have a job. Youre job is Officer Candidate - 09S. You don't choose another MOS because the NG is banking on you being an officer. They'll put you into some funky, unused secondary MOS line number (like "band member") simply for contract purposes. It means nothing. *

I told him I was interested in Infantry, Aviation and MI, not in any particular order. The way I saw it was to make sure I qualify for those jobs and go from there? You chose probably the top 3 hardest to get branches. First, you need to see if your state has slots for those. If not, it's a moot point. Second, if they are available, you have to compete for them on the OCS OML... which means, you need to be a fricken rock-star to get a spot. Keep in mind though that branching is "Needs of the Army". You have no real say-so in what you get.

Also, I have been looking for other females that have gone through basic to see how different it was for men. I'm a dude. I got nothing for ya.

Also, to anybody that has done the state OCS, how was it? The recruiter said it's definitely a lot of studying and you still have a lot of fitness tests you go through. On the weekends you go to OCS, can you stay there? It's about an hour and a half away from where I live. I remember reading somewhere on here that if you live a certain distance away, you can grab a hotel room at a discounted rate to be closer. And since I will be OCS, is this where I would have my "drill" weekends as well? (Sorry if those questions seemed the same but I'm still trying to figure out everything since there seems to be a lot to know and learn). You stay onsite for OCS, usually in the RTI barracks (state dependent.. each is different). You are in serious training so you won't have "free time" to leave so where you sleep really shouldn't matter. OCS is your drill weekend so you'll only have one per month to go to.

I think that's pretty much it for right now. He also said that I should sign up relatively quickly if I plan on it. He made a comment about my tattoos/piercings/gauged ears... Ear gauges were a NO GO last time I checked. Get them closed ASAP.

Comment

First off, by the time I would ship to BCT, I would have my 4 yr degree so I plan on going OCS through my state. Congrats on graduating. Thank you. Sure hasn't been easy haha

One of my questions is, what sort of scores do you need to qualify definitely for OCS. You have to have a 110 GT (one of the portions of the ASVAB. Google for the full listing) Thank you for this. I did pick up the "ASVAB for Dummies" book and they had a score system in there but since I didn't know what I was looking for I didn't know how to grade myself. Now that I know this, I can go back and keep trying those practice tests.

I told him I was interested in Infantry, Aviation and MI, not in any particular order. The way I saw it was to make sure I qualify for those jobs and go from there? You chose probably the top 3 hardest to get branches. First, you need to see if your state has slots for those. If not, it's a moot point. Second, if they are available, you have to compete for them on the OCS OML... which means, you need to be a fricken rock-star to get a spot. Keep in mind though that branching is "Needs of the Army". You have no real say-so in what you get. Ok. Now that you say that I remember him saying that on my paperwork it might say something like "cook" but that's not technically what I would be considered since I'm going the OCS route instead of AIT after basic. I also found a link on here that showed what jobs are in what state but like somebody had mentioned in that thread, so many people are using the websites and picking jobs left and right, so I shouldn't use that as a strong source. Since you said I should pick the top hardest branches, which ones would those be in your opinion?

Also, to anybody that has done the state OCS, how was it? The recruiter said it's definitely a lot of studying and you still have a lot of fitness tests you go through. On the weekends you go to OCS, can you stay there? It's about an hour and a half away from where I live. I remember reading somewhere on here that if you live a certain distance away, you can grab a hotel room at a discounted rate to be closer. And since I will be OCS, is this where I would have my "drill" weekends as well? (Sorry if those questions seemed the same but I'm still trying to figure out everything since there seems to be a lot to know and learn). You stay onsite for OCS, usually in the RTI barracks (state dependent.. each is different). You are in serious training so you won't have "free time" to leave so where you sleep really shouldn't matter. OCS is your drill weekend so you'll only have one per month to go to. Makes sense. I just didn't know if it was held at the same place or if they just put you somewhere for drill. He did mention that OCS has "phases" and since I would be doing the state route, it's longer and the phases only start at certain times of the year as well, which is what makes it longer.

I think that's pretty much it for right now. He also said that I should sign up relatively quickly if I plan on it. He made a comment about my tattoos/piercings/gauged ears... Ear gauges were a NO GO last time I checked. Get them closed ASAP. That's exactly what he said. I'm at a "0" right now and he read off of the max they would allow going to MEPS, but I am well over that. I've already started closing them up in hopes that they close up correctly and quickly.

- Thanks for all the info. You were very helpful (except in the female part )

Comment

Originally posted by Jlynn913 View Post
        Ok. Now that you say that I remember him saying that on my paperwork it might say something like "cook" but that's not technically what I would be considered since I'm going the OCS route instead of AIT after basic.
        Whatever officer vacancy you're eventually put in will supersede the enlisted MOS.

Comment

Infantry is not open to women.

Comment

Since you said I should pick the top hardest branches, which ones would those be in your opinion?

You already did. Historically speaking, those three you chose are the 3 most in-demand by new LTs. They have the highest competition rate and what not. You really need to get ahold of your state's OSM to see what branches they currently have.... otherwise, you won't know until you get to OCS. Which may be bad for you if they only have Ordnance or QM available!

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Dirtbag View Post
              Infantry is not open to women.
              I thought they now allowed women? I heard they were starting to allow about a year ago?

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
              Since you said I should pick the top hardest branches, which ones would those be in your opinion?

You already did. Historically speaking, those three you chose are the 3 most in-demand by new LTs. They have the highest competition rate and what not. You really need to get ahold of your state's OSM to see what branches they currently have.... otherwise, you won't know until you get to OCS. Which may be bad for you if they only have Ordnance or QM available!
              Ahh gotcha. I will definitely get in contact with them and see what they come up with.

Comment

I thought they now allowed women? I heard they were starting to allow about a year ago?
                There are jobs in infantry units available to women, but infantry itself is not one of those jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by collk22 View Post
                  There are jobs in infantry units available to women, but infantry itself is not one of those jobs.
                  Damn that sucks. I guess I'll have to look more into that and see what I can qualify for as a woman.

Comment

Recently the Department of Defense (DoD) has rescinded the "Direct Ground Combat Definition and Assignment Rule”. Consequently, The Army is in the process of implementing the Secretary of Defense’s (SECDEF) guidance to integrate women in all combat Military Operational Specialties (MOSs) no later than January 2016.

http://www.army.mil/article/105814/
                    Last edited by SF Hunter; July 29th, 2013, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
                      Recently the Department of Defense (DoD) has rescinded the "Direct Ground Combat Definition and Assignment Rule”. Consequently, The Army is in the process of implementing the Secretary of Defense’s (SECDEF) guidance to integrate women in all combat Military Operational Specialties (MOSs) no later than January 2016.
                      Well, since I wouldn't be leaving for BCT until after May 2014, and the fact I'm doing the state OCS at only one weekend a month/2 weeks a year, I actually might graduate from OCS after that law is in motion. But I will still keep the branches I picked, just to be safe.

Comment

http://www.army.mil/article/105814/
                        We will never see a female 11B....mark my word.

Comment

Originally posted by realitycheck View Post
                          We will never see a female 11B....mark my word.
                          Never say, never.

Comment

Never say, never.
                            +1

Comment

I guess I'll have to look more into that and see what I can qualify for as a woman.
                              Everything else*; you'll be fine.

* "every" MOS is supposed to be open now, but this may take some time to implement.

Comment

Working...
                              X