X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about joining

I am a 28yr old ASE certified mechanic. I need an answers to questions about advanced enlistment. 1st question is do my ASE certifications count to get me promoted when I enlist. 2nd question is what other ways can I advance become I am 28yr married with kids and have to be able to support my family while in basic and ait an E-1 pay wont support my family while i'm in training ty for any and all help

Re: Question about joining

1. No. Only college degrees can.

2. If the programs still exist, Stripes For Buddies and Stripes For Skills are the only ways to can rank up prior to shipping off after you've enlisted. Inquire with a recruiter.
    Last edited by SteveLord; July 21st, 2013, 02:03 PM.

Comment

I took a major cut in pay when I switched to NG to active (over 35K) but was able to manage on a realistic budget. How much your cut will be for those months you will be away and can you work a budget to make your plans work?

Comment

Perhaps you should ask your recruiter about CASP. If he is unsure here is a reference AR 601–210 Chapter 7 deals with "Civilian Acquired Skills Program".

Comment

To enlist under the CASP as a 91B, Wheel Vehicle Mechanic:

Will enlist as: E-4/SPC
          The following criteria must be met:
          a. Have two years of experience, or combination of formal training and experience totaling two years, as auto, truck, or diesel mechanic.
          b. Have, or be able to satisfy requirements for, operatorís permit for equipment assigned.

You can also be promoted if you have Jr ROTC, Eagle Scout, 24 or 48 college credits or promoted to E-2 for Stripes for Buddies & Stripes for Skills.

Comment

Working...
          X