Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting to Enlist - Question

Hello all,

This is a common question but I want to make sure before I give up.

Long story short, I want to enlist, the only thing I am worried about is a prior arrest.

I was arrested and given a Class B Misdemeanor for possession of Marijuana in '08.

I can pass a drug test no problem and I will bust my ass to get in if I am able to get past this arrest.

The reason I ask is because my arrest has an Expunction from record, which applies to State and Federal records.

So technically, it should not be on my record. But I am worried that it may show up. I don't want to lie to my recruiter, but at the same time, I don't want to say something that could stop me from being able to enlist.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know they are not accepting Waivers and I have done my research, but I feel like since this has an expunction, I should be good to go.

-CJixzle

Re: Wanting to Enlist - Question

If you were arrested, fingerprinted and convicted, it WILL show up. Doesn't matter if it was sealed or expunged.

Unfortunately, as you mentioned there are no waivers for possession but that could always change.

Comment

Go pay for a background check & see what's on your record if anything.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/cri...est-to-the-fbi

Comment

Originally posted by bai78 View Post
        Go pay for a background check & see what's on your record if anything.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/cri...est-to-the-fbi
        Bad advice. There are other means for checking backgrounds and criminal history that you are not privy to.

If it ever shows up, for say a S/TS investigation, not only will they get denied, they face fraudulent enlistment charges. Criminal history is one thing you DO NOT want to dink around with.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
          Bad advice. There are other means for checking backgrounds and criminal history that you are not privy to.

If it ever shows up, for say a S/TS investigation, not only will they get denied, they face fraudulent enlistment charges. Criminal history is one thing you DO NOT want to dink around with.
          +1. Why not try through the enlistment process, where it will be free and you definitely will know where you stand.

Comment

I may as well try and enlist. The worst that can happen is they send me away. Thanks for your help guys. Wish me luck!

This may be a pointless question, but is there any talk of them allowing waivers anytime soon?

I know someone mentioned that a ton of people not needing waivers are wanting in, so it makes it tougher for those who need waivers... Just thought I may ask if there was any talk of it.
            Last edited by Cjixle; July 12th, 2013, 12:06 PM. Reason: Add on

Comment

Originally posted by Cjixle View Post
              I may as well try and enlist. The worst that can happen is they send me away. Thanks for your help guys. Wish me luck!

This may be a pointless question, but is there any talk of them allowing waivers anytime soon?

I know someone mentioned that a ton of people not needing waivers are wanting in, so it makes it tougher for those who need waivers... Just thought I may ask if there was any talk of it.
              Remember that your MEPS processing costs money to the state/taxpayers.

Comment

Working...
              X