X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single mother and wanting to enlist.

Hello, I am a single mother of two boys my oldest is 4 and my youngest will be one on September 20th 2013. I have been wanting to enlist for quite some time now but I got pregnant at a young age and was told that a single mother could not enlist so I held off. But as a mom and a college student I have been thinking deeply on what career I want to be in and military is always at the top of my list. I have only talked to one recruiter but not in depth it was only at a school career fair so I have never really gotten a real answer on being a single mother and enlisting and if it was something I could consider. I know all the risks that go along with enlisting and I have considerably thought about all of the ups and downs but lately I have been trying to get all the info as I can before I meet with a recruiter. I will be attending a new community college this coming Fall and they offer the ROTC program and I thought well maybe that was my best option. If it were possible for me to enlist are there jobs that I could work close to home? or how would moving out of state with my boys work in the military if I was not married? If enlisting is something that I can do I'd like to have a career somewhere in the medical field. Is that something I could do in the National Guard and be close to home with my boys? All of these questions are greatly thought about but some outside answer would be much appreciated : )

Thank you.

Re: Single mother and wanting to enlist.

Hello, I am a single mother of two boys my oldest is 4 and my youngest will be one on September 20th 2013. I have been wanting to enlist for quite some time now but I got pregnant at a young age and was told that a single mother could not enlist so I held off. Google - Family Care Plan

But as a mom and a college student I have been thinking deeply on what career I want to be in and military is always at the top of my list. I have only talked to one recruiter but not in depth it was only at a school career fair so I have never really gotten a real answer on being a single mother and enlisting and if it was something I could consider. I know all the risks that go along with enlisting and I have considerably thought about all of the ups and downs but lately I have been trying to get all the info as I can before I meet with a recruiter. There are some great military benefits for enlisting - monthly money, Tricare Reserve, PX/Commisary, excellent training, college benefits... You need to make an appt and sit with a Recruiter.

I will be attending a new community college this coming Fall and they offer the ROTC program and I thought well maybe that was my best option. If it were possible for me to enlist are there jobs that I could work close to home? You'll have to see what units are available in your area and their assigned MOS vacancies

How would moving out of state with my boys work in the military if I was not married? You would have to complete an Inter-State Transfer. Happens all the time.

If enlisting is something that I can do I'd like to have a career somewhere in the medical field. Is that something I could do in the National Guard and be close to home with my boys? Google - MOS 68 Series. All medical and will give you a run down of the available jobs.

Comment

Consider the SMP program at ROTC. Enlist in the Guard then contract in ROTC, you can go active duty when done.....or stay in the guard when college.....consider enlisting and completing AIT before contracting ROTC, and the money is better.

Drill pay as a E5-- $200 or 300/month plus AT----~ $8,000
      Reserve GI BILL+ Kicker--- Upto $500 something/month ~$6,000
      ROTC Stipend---$300---to $400/month ~$5,000
      STA--- $? depend
      FTA--- $4,500/year

=
      ~$23,000

woooo....Cha Ching $0---0$
      -
      ------

Comment

There has been some reprieve for Reserve component inductees for the single parent issue in the last couple years. Historically, you are correct, that enlisting was not an option. The Family Care Plan that was mentioned is a document that essentially helps assure that YOU have a working plan for someone to care for your children while you are gone for training, deployments etc. I want to caution you that the military is not single parent friendly in general. Enlisting will at a minimum require you to be geographically separated from your children for at the least 4 or 5 months during initial active duty training. A deployment would mean a full calendar year. You should apply deep introspection if you're willing to accept that as the reality for you and your children. (Assuming you have someone who is able and willing to take them in your absence). If you can, and you do...then GREAT! It can be a rewarding opportunity for you.

Comment

Working...
        X