X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about enlistment

I'm 28 years old and a resident of Arkansas. I just recently obtained a bachelors degree and have an impeccable employment record with leadership experience, I've been working since I was 14. I'm in good physical shape. I think my cumulative gpa is around 3.0, not sure exactly since I've attended 3 different colleges. I've always wanted to serve and the guard seems like a natural fit for me. I'm a homeowner and am happily married.

Here's the problem, in January 2012 I ran my truck off into a ditch. It was out in the country and my phone was dead, so I didn't have any means of communication. A guy came by in a car and offered to give me a ride to town. With the temp below freezing I figured I should take him up on it. I get back to where my truck was the next day and it was gone. Anyway, I called local law enforcement and they informed me the towed my truck because there was some beer cans in the back, so they figured I got drunk and ran off. Anyway, they charged me with drinking in public and leaving the scene of an accident. I went before the judge and paid my fines. I wasn't drinking at all. I do drink beer and sometimes and toss a few cans in the back when I'm at home. I know, it's ignorant. I'm really not bitter about it, I see where they were coming from and I did break the law by leaving. Although, I don't think I did anything morally wrong. I just wanted to explain the situation. I do consider myself to be of high character.

Question: Will the drinking in public and leaving the scene charge completely ruin any chance I have of joining the guard with the new enlistment standards?

I appreciate you taking the time to read this. Thanks.

Re: Question about enlistment

Originally posted by Razorback_Mack View Post
    I wasn't drinking at all.
    Why did you pay the fines instead of fighting the charge?

Comment

Exactly. They had no proof to charge you with that at all...

Anywho, what was the exact change, disposition and outcome? Realitycheck will probably be able to answer this one...

Comment

Not going to completely ruin any chances of joining but it would limit you slighty to your job choices.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
          Exactly. They had no proof to charge you with that at all...

Anywho, what was the exact change, disposition and outcome? Realitycheck will probably be able to answer this one...
          Because like usual on these types of stories, we don't have full disclosure. I am 115% sure the police report includes facts that have been slightly shaved off or completely omitted, whether on purpose or by way of unsurety.

However, the important question and answer is that (as answered above me) it is not a complete deal breaker. The final dispositions on the charges may limit certain options, depending on those (omitted) facts, or misconceptions.
          Last edited by realitycheck; July 6th, 2013, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Thanks men, I really appreciate the feedback. The charges were drinking in public, leaving the scene of an accident and careless driving. I was gonna get an attorney and fight it, but as explained to me by the prosecutor and another attorney, if I admitted to leaving and the scene and the beer cans, which I did, they had proof enough. Obviously, I wish I had did more, but as they say hindsight is 20/20. I was kind of shocked by it at the time, because I didn't think i did anything wrong. However, it was evident that laws were broken.The disposition was just that I got fined and was sent on my may. No probation or deferred sentence, just fines. Not making excuses, but this is one these deals where legalities got me, which I guess is understandable.

Comment

Working...
            X