X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a 96 on the asvab a good score?

My 20 year old son enlisted after 2 years of unsuccessful college. He scored a 96 on the ASVAB (sp) test and the recruiter said he could pick almost any MOS. He is interested in communications so he obtained a 25Q position out of York PA.

1. Is that a good score?

2. Is the 25Q which is a comm and satellite spec a good position?

Thanks for any and all feedback. My son is very bright and I don't want to think he may be getting swindled with this MOS.

Re: Is a 96 on the asvab a good score?

The 96 is the AFQT, which really doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. That is a good overall score though.

What matters most to job selection are the composite line scores, which are comprised of scores on different areas of the test (subtests) and broken down into functional groups. There is a pretty good explanation here: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armyj...svabscores.htm.

Typically a high AFQT means you have good line scores in just about everything, which should make your son eligible for about any MOS.

Comment

Re: Is a 96 on the asvab a good score?

Originally posted by karenhoffman19530 View Post
      My 20 year old son enlisted after 2 years of unsuccessful college. He scored a 96 on the ASVAB (sp) test and the recruiter said he could pick almost any MOS. He is interested in communications so he obtained a 25Q position out of York PA.

1. Is that a good score?

2. Is the 25Q which is a comm and satellite spec a good position?

Thanks for any and all feedback. My son is very bright and I don't want to think he may be getting swindled with this MOS.
      1. Yes.

2. No matter what MOS he gets, it's not going to make up for not having a college degree. I'm not sure what you expect from a National Guard job, or what you mean by "getting swindled."

A "good position" means something different to everyone.

Comment

Working...
      X