Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Age/Background Concerns

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
    OP, the reason your buddy got "caught" about his scripts is because he told them......

There is no magic database for the MEPS docs to pull your history, regardless of what line they try and feed you. It's hard enough for civilian docs to try and do this. To break it down very basically, there is far too much red-tape to cut through to allow that type of Big Brother access (HIPPA, etc.) *There are a very small amount of exceptions but I won't go into it... you are not part of it

No one is "barking" at your per se, but we see this particular question pretty often. We try to advise the OPs on what's up with MEPS.... and then, like clockwork, we get a post from some teary-eyed OP who got DQ'd because they felt it was necessary to disclose some one-time med thing from 15 years ago that has absolutely no bearing on today.

Use some grey matter, go at this with common sense and make your decision. It's ultimately up to you on how you want to handle it.
    Roger that; thanks for the useful advice. I suppose everyone who's a regular on any type of forum gets irritated at the newbie posts or questions, but getting irritated at those who aren't yet a part of that discourse community never made any sense to me. If you're irritated at someone for wanting clarification, you're likely just bathing in your own sense of accomplishment or self-pride by condemning their lack of knowledge. And, for the record, my buddy maintains that he didn't tell them a thing, and that the MEPS processors found out on their own. I won't be too concerned with it though--I'll just concentrate on getting physically qualified for now. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by derrible1014 View Post
      Really? There's no need to be rude. I'm clueless about how these things go, just as I'm sure you're clueless about a lot of other things you're not familiar with. A buddy of mine didn't mention previous scripts, and they found out at MEPS. So go bark at someone else.

Thanks for your replies, everyone else. If I joined, I would be pretty secretive about it.
      I was just kidding, don't take it as a rude comment. The only way meps could have found out is if he disclosed it to them at that point in time or in the past, or if it was part of military health records if he was prior service. There is no "central computer" to track health information in the way they track criminal information. HIPPA laws come into play. In short, again, they don't have the ability to do what you are describing.

Comment

OP, your buddy is full of poo... Just saying. Its far easier to claim "Oh, they found out and DQ'd me" then to own up to a dumb mistake.

And I concede, if posters get riled up over a newbie question and begin to post things that are inappropriate or condescending, they maybe the need to re-evaluate their usefulness on this forum.

Comment

OP, your buddy is full of poo... Just saying. Its far easier to claim "Oh, they found out and DQ'd me" then to own up to a dumb mistake.

And I concede, if posters get riled up over a newbie question and begin to post things that are inappropriate or condescending, they maybe the need to re-evaluate their usefulness on this forum.
          I concur.

Comment

Originally posted by realitycheck View Post
            I was just kidding, don't take it as a rude comment. The only way meps could have found out is if he disclosed it to them at that point in time or in the past, or if it was part of military health records if he was prior service. There is no "central computer" to track health information in the way they track criminal information. HIPPA laws come into play. In short, again, they don't have the ability to do what you are describing.
            Ok, no worries man. It's hard to tell with the lack of context. Thanks for the info.

Comment

The only historical medical issues that MEPS looks at are the ones that you bring up. They don't have the means to look through your past records or the like. Take that however you like......
              --I imagine they can obtain records for all that pretty easily?
              The 'barking came from you repeating the same question after it had already been answered. No one is "bathing in their own sense of accomplishments or self-pride" nor was anyone "condemning your lack of knowledge"...but bravo on the big vocabulary

RE-asking an already answered question won't win you alot of brownie points regardless of your IQ points.

It's called attention to detail and THAT will get you assigned to more leadership positions than a few grey hairs.

No ones getting riled up, some are just trying to help.

Comment

I'm starting to think that's true. He must have let something slip out. I won't make the same mistake.

Comment

I was very rarely in leadership positions. I knew my stuff and they knew I knew it, so they didn't want to waste training time having me do something when others who needed leadership experience and needed to come out of there shell could use that time.

Tidiness isn't my thing either, but it will behove you to try really hard to be as tidy as possible through Basic. It will make it a lot easier to find the right gear or piece of clothing when you have very limited time. There is usually one drawer that the DS can't look in that is marked as "Personal" space. That you can keep how you like, the rest of your locker, keep as neat as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                    The 'barking came from you repeating the same question after it had already been answered. No one is "bathing in their own sense of accomplishments or self-pride" nor was anyone "condemning your lack of knowledge"...but bravo on the big vocabulary

RE-asking an already answered question won't win you alot of brownie points regardless of your IQ points.
                    Again, clarification is what I was seeking. I was reminded of my buddy's incident, which prompted me to ask about prescription records. There's such a thing as situational complexity, which happens in life sometimes. Regardless, it was one person's perspective. I'm guessing that if you take a first response to a question on the internet as gospel you won't be getting many leadership positions either.

Comment

Originally posted by Portree228 View Post
                      Tidiness isn't my thing either, but it will behove you to try really hard to be as tidy as possible through Basic. It will make it a lot easier to find the right gear or piece of clothing when you have very limited time. There is usually one drawer that the DS can't look in that is marked as "Personal" space. That you can keep how you like, the rest of your locker, keep as neat as possible.
                      I heard someone say a good way to practice was to get a bag of items together, like a few shirts, a pair of pants, and a few books, throw them on a table, and then try to fold everything into nice piles for thirty seconds. Might be a good way to practice. Learning about shoe shining might be important too, I'm guessing.

Oh, and did you go through OCS, Portree? Or Basic and then OCS? (I see you're a 1LT...)

Comment

I heard someone say a good way to practice was to get a bag of items together, like a few shirts, a pair of pants, and a few books, throw them on a table, and then try to fold everything into nice piles for thirty seconds. Might be a good way to practice. Learning about shoe shining might be important too, I'm guessing.
                        We never had to make it tidy in under a certain amount of time, it had just better be CORRECT when inspected. You won't have many books except a Blue Book and a Warrior's Guide. If you take a Bible it would be in your personal drawer.

NOW, practicing making your bed quickly will help, but there are tricks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                          NOW, practicing making your bed quickly will help, but there are tricks for that.
                          Like sleeping on top of everything...

Comment

Precisely.

Comment

Oh, and did you go through OCS, Portree? Or Basic and then OCS? (I see you're a 1LT...)
                              Not sure on the folding of clothes, but I did learn to ranger roll my shirts. At the very least it took up less space in a drawer. As for shoes, never shined them, not once in Basic. You will clean your weapon endlessly, but never shined shoes.

I did do Basic. FT Jackson for 11wks. I was a 09S and so after Basic I went to my State OCS program. I think about the only way you skip Basic is if your medical or ROTC.

Comment

6 nights a week I slept on top of my blankets. On the seventh night I would climb in because the next day was bedding change day. That saved a lot time every morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X