Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anosmia (No Sense of Smell) - Non-Waverable?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anosmia (No Sense of Smell) - Non-Waverable?

I started talking with a NG recruiter regarding enlistment, but she kind of disappeared on me. Here's what happened when I tried to join the Army with anosmia (no sense of smell):

Anosmia is a disqualifying condition according to military standards. But that's why medical waivers exist, and I decided to test my luck. I figured MEPS wouldn't even allow me to visit their facility, but lo and behold, they gave my recruiter the okay. I thought the doctor at MEPS might turn me down, but he recommended I get a waiver. I couldn't believe it. I was so excited.

The day after MEPS my recruiter called me at 8am. I was disqualified. The Army didn't need me. And I felt so close.

I'm 27, in good physical health (sad to say I look fitter than most of the kids I saw at MEPS), and my AFQT is 96. My average line score on the ASVAB is about 115. No criminal history, only speeding tickets.

Is there any way the NG may accept me? Or is anosmia absolutely non-waverable?

Re: Anosmia (No Sense of Smell) - Non-Waverable?

Your information is in a database now and NG applicants go through MEPS as well. If you disqualified for active Army, why would you think the Army NG will take you? They both fall under the same medical standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
      Your information is in a database now and NG applicants go through MEPS as well. If you disqualified for active Army, why would you think the Army NG will take you? They both fall under the same medical standards.
      I understand medical standards don't change, but sometimes the Army will accept individuals that other branches won't. Maybe the NG accepts individuals the regular Army won't. I don't know, and that's why I'm asking.

I do find it odd that I was denied less that 24 hours after MEPS. Could that mean a waiver wasn't even submitted?

Comment

Originally posted by AAV View Post
        I understand medical standards don't change, but sometimes the Army will accept individuals that other branches won't. Maybe the NG accepts individuals the regular Army won't. I don't know, and that's why I'm asking.

I do find it odd that I was denied less that 24 hours after MEPS. Could that mean a waiver wasn't even submitted?
        I understand what you are trying to say. But usually that falls under the misconduct realm. Which means, you have a person that cannot get into a branch or Regular Army due to civilian or prior service misconduct. Then the Guard may waive that same issue at NGB or TAG level waiver.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
        X