X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get a waiver?

I want to join the National Guard. When I was 16 years old I was charged with a simple possession. I did not get arrested, or finger printed for it. It was just a traffic violation. I know, it was a stupid decision I made and I regret it everyday of my life. I've heard there's new policies now with getting waivers for drug charges. I talked to a recruiter and he emailed MEPS to see if I can get a waiver. I'm anxiously awaiting the results. What do you guys think the odds are of me getting a waiver?

Re: Can I get a waiver?

Waivers for Possession of marijuana are currently suspended and have been for over a year now.

That being said, IF you were not fingerprinted it's not likely to show up on the FBI check. You need to contact a Recruiter and be open and honest with him/her and go from there.

Best of luck!

Comment

I've already contacted a recruiter. He told me he emailed MEPS and he's waiting for the suitability review people to reply to see if I can get a waiver. Say it doesn't show up on the FBI check, will I still be able to get a waiver? It's still on my record (I'm 17) and I can't get it expunged from my record until I turn 18 next month. Yes, I'm aware just because it's been expunged doesn't mean it disappears like it never happened. Would that increase my chances of getting in though?

Comment

I would have went about your situation differently. There are no waivers for possession.

Like I said previously, if you weren't fingerprinted, it wouldn't show up on the FBI check but now that your Recruiter has brought up the charge to MEPS you're likely disqualified.

The AF Reserves can do waivers for possession.

What State do you live in?

Comment

I was looking into the AF reserves. I live in West Virginia.

Comment

Working...
          X