X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to enlist after being denied?

Recently I tried joining the National Guard, everything went smoothly until what I feared the most came, the hearing test. I failed it in my right ear and they had me retake it several times. Twice at the first day of MEPS. I took it, failed. They checked it, took me to get it cleaned by a near by clinic. Took it a second time, failed once again. After that, I was denied and was told to wait to see if I get a waiver. After another day, my recruiter got a call from the Doctor asking me to come back to take the hearing test again, he said its very VERY rare for them to give chances like these. I was very happy and of course, I wanted to retake it. I failed again, but I did do slightly better then the first two. So I waited for a waiver, but then I got the dreaded text from my recruiter telling me I was denied a waiver. Before you assume my hearing lost, let me explain. The hearing loss in my right ear were not caused by my actions. I did not listen to loud music, I did not knowingly hurt my ear by shooting fire arms. I was born with a birth defect, and this birth defect caused my ear lope to me pretty much sealed shut. I can hear perfectly good, despite my right ear, but its not enough.

Is there a possibility for me to try again and attempt to join the National Guard? The National Guard was something I wanted to do back when I was in elementary school. I believe I was in 2nd grade when 9/11 happened. At that moment, I knew what I wanted to do.

Please answer my question, Its something I really need to know, I can't watch anything military related. It does make me deeply sad, I must admit.

If this is the wrong thread to post this on, I'm very sorry.

Re: Trying to enlist after being denied?

You can't hear anything in your right ear at all? Or is it some degree of hearing loss? Did you not tell them about your birth defect from the get go?

Comment

Yes, I told them about the birth defect and told my recruiter from the start, all he told me was to get medical papers from my doctor who did it. I had multiple ear surgeries and they knew about that as well. I told them that I had the option to open my ear lope so I can actually hear out of it, but I was only like 10, I didn't really have a say, my mother said no. She said no because there was a chance of injury. So only the exterior of my ear was done. And when it comes to hearing out of it, I can't hear whispers or regular talking. I think I scored like a 70 something on my right ear when taking the hearing test.

Comment

Your hearing will be classified at MEPS. If you received a PULHES rating of H-4 for hearing (what the H stands for); then you will be disqualified for joining.

Find out what code you received.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PULHES_Factor

Comment

Thank you, but what I really want to know, can I retry for the waiver, or will I just be wasting my time and wasting the time of others that have more important people to help, like others that don't need waivers? I really need to know, I still have my recruiter's business card. Just waiting.

Comment

I don't think you have a chance in hell personally. You're trying to join a military that is getting more strict every year and is downsizing....with a waiver for basically being 50% deaf.
            Last edited by SteveLord; June 26th, 2013, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Yeah.....I suppose you're right, thanks anyways for taking the time to reply.

Comment

Working...
              X