X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions about joining

I want to enlist in the national guard to receive the benefit of college payment alongside being able to serve. From some threads I've looked at, it's a possibility the recruiter gives you options to choose from on when you are shipped. I have yet to talk to a recruiter or take the ASVAB. And from talking to a person on the chat on the website, if I enlist now there is a chance I could be in basic throughout the fall semester of college.

Is it possible that I would be able to choose a ship date that is next summer, and attend RSP until then, while receiving the tuition payments for my first year of college?

Another thing is that I would be joining the PA national guard due to my school being in PA, but I live in NC. How would talking to a recruiter, taking the ASVAB, and everything work for me?

Re: A few questions about joining

Originally posted by moodzyy View Post
    I want to enlist in the national guard to receive the benefit of college payment alongside being able to serve. From some threads I've looked at, it's a possibility the recruiter gives you options to choose from on when you are shipped. I have yet to talk to a recruiter or take the ASVAB. And from talking to a person on the chat on the website, if I enlist now there is a chance I could be in basic throughout the fall semester of college.

Is it possible that I would be able to choose a ship date that is next summer, and attend RSP until then, while receiving the tuition payments for my first year of college?

Another thing is that I would be joining the PA national guard due to my school being in PA, but I live in NC. How would talking to a recruiter, taking the ASVAB, and everything work for me?
    I do not believe that is possible, at least as far as being in RSP until next summer. I enlisted in 2010, and I was not allowed to attend more than 4 months of RSP before shipping. I was therefore enlisted in the Inactive National Guard (ING) for a few months, until I was less than 4 months from shipping to basic. I then left the ING and swore into the "Active" National Guard, entered drilling status, and began RSP. I am pretty sure that I was not eligible for TA (Tuition Assistance) while I was in the inactive status.

Pretty sure someone who knows more will come along and add to/correct what I said.

Comment

Originally posted by PALINATHAS View Post
      I do not believe that is possible, at least as far as being in RSP until next summer. I enlisted in 2010, and I was not allowed to attend more than 4 months of RSP before shipping. I was therefore enlisted in the Inactive National Guard (ING) for a few months, until I was less than 4 months from shipping to basic. I then left the ING and swore into the "Active" National Guard, entered drilling status, and began RSP. I am pretty sure that I was not eligible for TA (Tuition Assistance) while I was in the inactive status.

Pretty sure someone who knows more will come along and add to/correct what I said.
      Alright thank you for that. Hopefully someone will, I'd like to know as much as possible.

Comment

There are plenty of soldiers who spend upwards of a year in RSP before shipping, and may even come back to RSP and spend another year before AIT (typically the split-op types still in High School). It all depends on the soldier's status, but the recruiters on here can chime in on that.

Comment

Working...
        X