X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another DQ question...

I'm new here and I'd like to join. For context: 27 year-old woman, undergrad in psychology (3.7 GPA), unfinished MA in Islamic studies (3.9) with training in multiple languages.

I've done a lot of reading--forums such as this, army regs, various websites. The range of responses to the "should I lie at MEPS?" question is kind of astounding. Or, rather, as there are actually only 2 responses to the question, I would say it is astounding that anyone says "Yes!" Maybe it's naive to think honesty is the best policy...? Anyway, my concern is that I've been treated twice in my lifetime for mild depression (treatment = seeing a therapist and taking medication). All the reasons that the military would DQ a person who has dealt with depression make total sense to me. Of course you need to be able to rely on the soldier next to you, and they on you. There's a question in here, I swear. What is the waiver process like and what aspects are considered in "their" decisions? Do factors such as education count for anything? (And while we're on the subject, show me a grad student who hasn't been depressed at some point and I'll show you one who hasn't been trying!)

Further, the positions I'm interested in all require Top Secret clearance. If I am allowed to join, having been honest about my depression, what are the odds of getting clearance? Is that an entirely separate process or does it rely primarily on the original enlistment/waiver decision? And if I DO get in and DON'T get clearance, what on earth am I going to do? I'd make a crummy plumber...

I have dozens of other questions. I'll be talking to a recruiter Monday and, depending on what he says, I will be back to bombard you.

Re: Another DQ question...

I finished my masters in IT this year and trust me I never got depressed from it. Combat tours are more depressing lol.

Comment

Point taken! Congrats on your degree.

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
        Point taken! Congrats on your degree.
        lol and good luck to you. Depression is very delicate when it comes to enlistment. When you visit the recruiter tomorrow, provide all the facts and documentation and see what happens.

Comment

It sounds like you have a lot to offer. Being fluent in multiple languages is sought after. Like chief said, speak with a recruiter. Be honest with them and see what comes of it. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
            I'm new here and I'd like to join. For context: 27 year-old woman, undergrad in psychology (3.7 GPA), unfinished MA in Islamic studies (3.9) with training in multiple languages.

I've done a lot of reading--forums such as this, army regs, various websites. The range of responses to the "should I lie at MEPS?" question is kind of astounding. Or, rather, as there are actually only 2 responses to the question, I would say it is astounding that anyone says "Yes!" Maybe it's naive to think honesty is the best policy...? Anyway, my concern is that I've been treated twice in my lifetime for mild depression (treatment = seeing a therapist and taking medication). All the reasons that the military would DQ a person who has dealt with depression make total sense to me. Of course you need to be able to rely on the soldier next to you, and they on you. There's a question in here, I swear. What is the waiver process like and what aspects are considered in "their" decisions? Do factors such as education count for anything? (And while we're on the subject, show me a grad student who hasn't been depressed at some point and I'll show you one who hasn't been trying!)

Further, the positions I'm interested in all require Top Secret clearance. If I am allowed to join, having been honest about my depression, what are the odds of getting clearance? Is that an entirely separate process or does it rely primarily on the original enlistment/waiver decision? And if I DO get in and DON'T get clearance, what on earth am I going to do? I'd make a crummy plumber...

I have dozens of other questions. I'll be talking to a recruiter Monday and, depending on what he says, I will be back to bombard you.
            Please be more specific about your depression and related treatment. For example, dates, length of medication, and most recent episode.

Comment

Working...
            X