X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 31 year old mother of 2

Hello, I am a mother of two boys 13 and 6 and I have been thinking for a long time to enlist in the ANG. Will I have any problems trying to enlist because I have children. Their fathers are active in there life and I have a great support system. Also, what is the basic pay during BCT and AIT? I am looking to become an MP. Thanks.

Re: 31 year old mother of 2

I'm a new enlistee and I have 1 child.. They will not hinder you in enlisting if your a parent, they are however meticulous on your health and also you should do well in the ASVAB as well (great scores mean good/better jobs - well that's what I heard). I think its worth it to join the NG. As for the basic pay question, I can't answer it since I'll have my BCT this coming august, If you are a parent (BAHS) is good since you'll be covered in housing, its one among other great benefits in the NG.

Comment

Originally posted by Fao Lafini View Post
      I'm a new enlistee and I have 1 child.. They will not hinder you in enlisting if your a parent, they are however meticulous on your health and also you should do well in the ASVAB as well (great scores mean good/better jobs - well that's what I heard). I think its worth it to join the NG. As for the basic pay question, I can't answer it since I'll have my BCT this coming august, If you are a parent (BAHS) is good since you'll be covered in housing, its one among other great benefits in the NG.
      The full BAH allowance is received during BCT and AIT; not when a Soldier is in drilling status with a unit.

Comment

yup thanx, I noticed full basic pay and other benefits kicks in once BCT starts.. at the moment, drill pay is what I will expect..

Comment

Thanks. Is there listing somewhere of medical issues i should be aware of? As far as basic pay im wondering if i will have enough to cover my children's costs while away or if I should plan for that.

Comment

Originally posted by mconcep View Post
            Thanks. Is there listing somewhere of medical issues i should be aware of? As far as basic pay im wondering if i will have enough to cover my children's costs while away or if I should plan for that.
            Have you established contact with a recruiter already?

Comment

Here is a AD pay chart

http://usarmybasic.com/about-the-army/army-pay-chart <--The scale to use when you are away on active duty training

NG chart when you are back at home drilling

http://www.militaryrates.com/militar...e1_e5_2013.cfm

When you fill out a form and answer any questions related to medical; then a recruiter/MEPS will determine your eligibility.
              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; June 15th, 2013, 08:26 PM.

Comment

As far as medical insurance, if you're on active duty orders for more then 30 days you qualify for TRICARE Standard/Prime Remote and when you're drilling it's TRICARE for National Guard and Reserve (you do have to pay for this one).

Comment

Hes on vacation...hoping next week to have a sit down

Comment

Would I have a specific Rank for having a two year degree in cj??

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                      As far as medical insurance, if you're on active duty orders for more then 30 days you qualify for TRICARE Standard/Prime Remote and when you're drilling it's TRICARE for National Guard and Reserve (you do have to pay for this one).
                      Thanks

Comment

Would I have a specific Rank for having a two year degree in cj??
                        Should be E-3. A bachelors affords E-4.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                          Should be E-3. A bachelors affords E-4.
                          Thank you for feedback.

Comment

Working...
                          X