X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of joining

Hello all, I have been thinking of joining the ANG and had a few questions. I am 34 years old (will be 35 after thanksgiving), I am married no children. I don't have a record or any medical issues (that I know of). However when I was younger (around the 6-7th grade) living in Spain where my father was stationed at I was diagnosed with ADD and prescribed Ritalin. I stopped taking when my father got orders back to the states. The doctor who prescribed me told me that it was my choice to stop taking it. My question is would that disqualify me being the age that I am now? Thank you for any answers you give me.

Re: Thinking of joining

People more knowledgable than me will answer on your medical question. But, in case you don't know, time is short for you. You have to enlist prior to your 35th birthday. So if your not already talking with a recruiter then you will need to get that process started very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Achilles View Post
      Hello all, I have been thinking of joining the ANG and had a few questions. I am 34 years old (will be 35 after thanksgiving), I am married no children. I don't have a record or any medical issues (that I know of). However when I was younger (around the 6-7th grade) living in Spain where my father was stationed at I was diagnosed with ADD and prescribed Ritalin. I stopped taking when my father got orders back to the states. The doctor who prescribed me told me that it was my choice to stop taking it. My question is would that disqualify me being the age that I am now? Thank you for any answers you give me.
      If you do not suffer from the ADD now and really haven't taken meds since childhood years it is best left UNMENTIONED during the enlistment process.

Comment

Being on ADD meds prior to your 14th birthday and for no longer than six months is ok but you'd need to provide medical documents from the Doc explaining what age you started use, ended use and that you no longer needed to be on the meds.

Whether you choose to disclose any of this info to your Recruiter or MEPS is entirely up to you. I will tell you that if you do mention it without supporting medical documents, you will be disqualified until you can provide those docs and your Recruiter may need to submit a waiver which can take some time.

Comment

Originally posted by NYGuardRecruiter View Post
          Being on ADD meds prior to your 14th birthday and for no longer than six months is ok but you'd need to provide medical documents from the Doc explaining what age you started use, ended use and that you no longer needed to be on the meds.

Whether you choose to disclose any of this info to your Recruiter or MEPS is entirely up to you. I will tell you that if you do mention it without supporting medical documents, you will be disqualified until you can provide those docs and your Recruiter may need to submit a waiver which can take some time.
          And I will mention that since this condition is not life threatening to you or someone else, mentioning it jeopardizes your chances. And not disclosing it does nothing. But it is your choice.

Comment

Working...
          X