X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Married, Mom, thinking about joining

I'm a 31 year old female, married, with one 8 year old child. I'm currently thinking about enlisting - this is something I've always wanted to do, plus I'm looking into for the school part of it. I was enlisted in the Army in 2000 but made some mistakes and wasn't able to go. (High School pregnancy, gave baby up for adoption) Curious if there is any other moms out there that can shed some light on this. Was it difficult for your child, did it all work out, have you been deployed, how often are you gone, etc

Thanks in advance.

Re: Married, Mom, thinking about joining

I'm not a mom, but I can talk about it from the standpoint of having kids. My kids were 9,10 and 11 when I shipped off to basic. It was hard when I first left but they adjusted quickly. I went in early August, so I shipped out on Monday and they started School on Thursday. That was really helpful because it gave them something else to focus on. It was by far harder on me than it was them. I had a week at reception to think about how much I missed them all, but that was more the anticipation of 11wks away than it was actually missing them. Once I started training I was busy and the time went by quickly.

It has all worked out, but it does get rough sometimes. I haven't been deployed, but I have been away for extended periods on training. These can be hard on the family, but with tools such as cell phones and Skype and similar programs it makes it a little easier, at least from the stadpoint of keeping in touch. While I was gone for 16 wks at one school my wife would often skype soccer games to me. It wasn't ideal, but it was fun and the kids knew I was doing what I could to stay involved.

For the most part once you have gone through Basic Training and AIT then additional training is up to you. As you go up the ranks there will be additional classes that you will want to take or need to take in order to be qualified for the next level. These can happen every few years. You also have your one weekend a month and two months a year.

I hope this helps you get started. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks

Comment

Re: Married, Mom, thinking about joining

It is a lot easier to be connected with family nowadays thanks to technology. The military has been very supportive of that via the computer centers they setup overseas. Be thankful.

Comment

Working...
      X