X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with a lasik and astigmatism question

I am literally ready to jump through every hoop to join the guard but I require guidance at this point... so heres my story, about 5 months ago I tried joining the Marine Corps and I was proud to know I was going to serve my country but then we got to the eyepart in meps, I was told that my astigmatism was disqualifying (7.25 and 7.50!!!) But the doctor said that I could apply for a waiver. After a month of nothing but PT'ing showing my commitment, my recruiter was dissapointed to give me the news I was afraid of hearing... I did not get the waiver, the navy doctor said I was denied the waiver due to excessive refractive error and very high astigmatism as well as a waiver of the phisical standards is not recommended and he did say that even though I do not have signs of keratoconus my bilateral cylinder values exceed allowable limits for a waiver. I am now a PDQ in the system.

2 weeks after my recruiters news I got lasik, its been 2 month now and my eyesight is still as perfect as the day they fixed it and I have been off the eye medication for the last 2 months as well but my wanting to join the military is still strong, I talked to a national guard recruiter who is willing to help me I told him my story and he said that not to worry since I got the lasik I'll probably not need a waiver but I know it cannot be that easy. I want to stop working at the pizza joint I'm working in now and start my national guard career in perferably military police while going to school but it all starts here.

Any help with what I should do or if there is a catch that will hurt my chances in joining would be greatly appreciated, Thank You!

Re: help with a lasik and astigmatism question

I'm not sure if this helps but I had Lasik several years ago and had no problems whatsoever getting through the vision checks, without a waiver.

Comment

Originally posted by rnesser View Post
      I'm not sure if this helps but I had Lasik several years ago and had no problems whatsoever getting through the vision checks, without a waiver.
      Thank you sir for your response and your service but I have a feeling it might be a little different for me mostly because how bad my astigmatism was.

Comment

Thank you sir for your response and your service but I have a feeling that in my case it might not be that easy mostly because of how bad my astigmatism was.

Comment

Working...
        X