Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to enlist, looking for advice for disqualifications.

In July 2012 I went down to Lackland for Air Force BMT. I had lost my grandmother to cancer shortly before I left, and my wife was pregnant and having complications the first week that I was down there. I found out she was in and out of the hospital when I called back home, so I was worried about the complications she had with our first child. My MTI sent me and a few others to the wrong place for appointments we were supposed to have that were supposedly routine. When we got there, they were asking us how we were doing with the transition from civi life to basic and whatnot, and I was foolish enough to mention that I was finding it hard to focus on training having just lost my grandmother and my wife having complications. It wasn't long before a Captain that was a psychologist resident told me that I was going to be able to go home and work things out with my wife and that I was going to be able to re-enlist in 6 months to a year. She put paperwork in front of me and asked me to sign, so I did, unfortunately without reading what it was. One of the pieces of paperwork was an "evaluation" that made statements about me having anxiety since childhood and having gotten in fights and a few other completely baseless comments and recommending discharge. I didn't think to double check what was being given to me because I was focused on getting back to help my family then getting back in. I didn't notice what it said until a month later or so when I got my discharge packet mailed to me at home. I was given a 2C JFY discharge with narrative reason Adjustment Disorder. (I obviously knew I had been given this discharge when I was briefed before rushing through all of the outprocessing stuff they had us do before going to the airport, but did not know if it was what I should have gotten or why I was given that, obviously because of that evaluation from the resident which said I had Adjustment Disorder with Anxiety.)

When I went to my Air Force recruiter to talk about it, he said there was nothing he could do but talk to the other active duty recruiters in the office. We spoke with the Navy and Army recruiters, which the Navy said they couldn't do anything with a 2C, and the Army recruiters seemed eager to get me in. I went through most of the process with them, but when they went to submit my packet, all of a sudden I was told that I couldn't enlist and the story changed 3 different times as to why. They said I wouldn't have a chance unless world war 3 broke out, so my Air Force recruiter told me to speak with the National Guard. My NG recruiters have been very helpful, and eager to do anything they knew to work on getting me in. We got a letter from my doctor stating that I've never had any issues with anxiety or any mental health issues, although I'm sure I should have just gone ahead and sent my medical records down to prove that I've never had any issues with anything like that. I wrote a statement and I believe my recruiter wrote a statement to send down with my packet. The MEPS doctor disqualified me, citing a regulation that from what I could read would allow a waiver for adjustment disorder after 90 days and anxiety if there has been no in patient treatment, medication, multiple occurences, etc. I have no anxiety in my medical records, thus no treatment, no medication, etc. Just what a resident said with comments about my past that never even came up when speaking with her at BMT. From what we can see, my recruiter and I don't see how I am disqualified. We sent a packet down to NGB to try and force the docs at MEPS to see me, which we were very surprised was a disqualification as well. Right now we are working on getting things together such as my medical records and a consult to help prove that I have no issues.

I scored a 99 AFQT on the ASVAB when I enlisted last year (I think when I saw my line scores on my Army packet, they were 130's+ across the board.), and scored a 114 on the DLAB, would have a BA by the time I left for basic, and most of a second BA completed. I have been told that I'm glossary non-prior service and that I don't qualify for any enlistment bonuses or student loan repayment or anything during an initial term with the guard, which I am completely fine with. I'm looking to join to be able to serve like my father did in the Army, as have several other friends and family. I understand what I can get myself into with the military, and am perfectly fine with the risks if I get the chance to serve my state and country. As for the other questions that typically are asked when you start the process, I have no alcohol/tobacco/drug use, no tattoos, no piercings, no criminal history, no traffic tickets, and only had one broken bone when I fractured my wrist at 14 (which was cleared in a med read last year with no waiver that I know of). Basically the only thing that is holding me back from being able to enlist right now is my discharge and that evaluation from BMT.

I've been told that some people have gone through a military doctor for a consult to try and get more documentation to get approved after a disqualification, which I've mentioned, and hopefully my recruiter can find out something about that. I was also told that I could possibly go through my state's surgeon general, and possibly get a recommendation from the unit commander for the job they were looking at signing me up for. I was wondering how legitimate this information is that I've been given from looking around on the net and searching for others with disqualification issues. (and a former recruiter from outside my state that I met awhile back mentioned a few of these things as well.)

Sorry for the huge post but I've been working at getting back in for most of a year, spent months dealing with VA Records Management to try and get records that they still couldn't figure out in the long run anyway, and now it seems am nearing the end of my options. Any information or suggestions I can pass on would be greatly appreciated. I would be kicking myself down the road if I didn't do everything I possibly could to get back in, especially since the one thing that seems to be stopping me is false information in the first place.

Re: Looking to enlist, looking for advice for disqualifications.

There are some things that, as I read, send up some red flags. But, I'll let your recruiter and you work those out.

Good Luck.

Comment

I am assuming that the biggest one would be the eval from when I was at BMT. I see that as being the biggest hurdle to deal with, and personally, I can't figure out why I trusted anyone enough to believe being told I would be able to re-enlist with no problems or to not double check any paperwork they were putting through. I fully understand that that particular aspect of my issue will always be a red flag, but the fact is that I have no history of any mental issues or adjustment issues. As to any others, I can only make assumptions as to what they will or will not want to/like to see in regards to what may not seem right. I obviously only have my experience to go off of.

Anyway, any suggestions as to what to focus on in regards to proving to NGB that I have never had those issues would be greatly appreciated in case we don't think of it.

Comment

Although I couldn't find JFY immediately, I did some more digging...

According to AR 601-210, Chapter 3-21, Table 3-3, an RE-2C is not eligible for enlistment unless a waiver is granted. It's the equivalent of an RE-3 in the Army. You have an uphill battle ahead of you, but, this particular one has been approved in the past. You are going to have to get written off various doctors, go to a Med Consult and a few other things.

I don't see how MEPS can DQ you and not afford your the opportunity for a Med Consult. Then again, the whole situation is one big red flag. If you can't get help here, you may try going to another MEPS station....

Comment

There is only one MEPS in my state, but I could theoretically see about surrounding states. When they submitted a request for a physical, the MEPS doctor disqualified me before allowing me to be seen, which is why I assume I was not able to get a consult. The JFY, when I first started discussing everything with a guard recruiter, they could not find the code in the regulations either. Eventually they said that it was an old code that was no longer in use, but I'm not sure when that became the case if I received that code just last year. I have a consult with a psychologist or psychiatrist (I'm unsure which, my doctor set everything up with them when I mentioned my recruiter was asking for a consult.) later this month, and have requested my full medical records from my doctor. I initially was under the impression after speaking with my first guard recruiter that I would be sent for a consult by MEPS as well, but I've heard of nothing but problems with the CMO at my state's MEPS, so I am not sure what to expect from them.

Is it possible to be seen by a MEPS in another state and cleared (or be recommended for a waiver by those docs), and then transfer that back to your home state before enlisting?

Comment

I am hoping NYCRecruiter steps in... these are questions I have an answer for, but he is the SME.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll check back later and see if they have popped in to see what they think on the matter.

Comment

Well, it's been awhile. I had the consult and was given the all clear with no diagnosis. That, my medical records, and statements from my recruiter were all submitted for the second round of requesting a physical. They sent back a request to have some of the dates updated on forms, and when those were sent back to the NGB, the physical request was approved with the stipulation of a Guard consult. Took me most of a year to get something approved to be able to go back in and get started through process again. I was told that I have until the middle of January to enlist and not have to re-test. I know I was told that ASVAB scores expire after 2 years, but do DLAB scores expire as well? While I'm confident I could pass it again, I would rather not have to take that test again.

I will stop back in when I get through the consult and physical if they don't just take my physical from last year, and give a bit of an update on how things are progressing. Hopefully more good news will follow.

Comment

National Guard consult out of the way, and after speaking with the doc, his opinion was there was no history to support the previous diagnosis and no current diagnosis. Recommendations for approval of waiver apparently were changed to a recommendation in favor of the waiver. Just waiting to hear back on the waiver. Currently looks like there are no 35P slots available, so they are working on a 35M slot and keeping an eye on the list until the time comes to sign in case a 35P becomes available. So far everything seems to be moving in the right direction, and now I have to do some serious thought into the differences between a 35P and 35M, maybe get something set up to speak with someone from that unit to see if more information on a 35M within their unit could be had (although I understand that a significant portion of those details would be unable to be disclosed).

Comment

Well, apparently being granted a consult to ensure that there are no complications with the subject matter of the disqualification, and said consult being favorable in that the decision is made that there was no history of anything as well as no current diagnosis, does not constitute a favorable outcome as far as the waiver request is concerned. Even after all the hoops and steps given by NGB to accomplish before I could be given a waiver, it still came back disqualified for the exact thing their consult doc said I did not and do not have. Requesting MEPS files to try and figure out what might have gone wrong and figure out if there is another step that can be taken.

If anyone has any experience with any steps to take after a waiver disqualification even with them sending me to a consult that cleared me, let me know. I know anything from here on out would be a long shot at best, but my recruiter and her chain of command are completely confused as to why they would send me for a consult and get the answer they were asking for, and still disqualify me. Is there any way for anyone in the recruiting/MEPS chain of command to ask NGB specifically what they are going to require/what is still holding things back???

Comment

Working...
                    X