X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waivers for being overweight?

Well, it's been awhile since I left the recruiters office, and I am down from 220 to 214 now.(slow progress) I want to get in more than ever now, and I have read about people being able to get waivers being 10 lbs over the weight to get enlisted, and then they either work it off before they ship to BT or during BT. Is this possible? My recruiter said I need to get down to about 197-205 lbs which should leave me at enough bf% to be able to get in.

Also, I have many friends who were in marines/national guard and they said they had a lot of fat bodies in their platoon who came out of BT in perfect shape. Did those people get waivers?

Re: Waivers for being overweight?

Honestly, with people getting kicked out due to weight, and the demands lessen to need recruits, it may not be possible. Keep working out.
    Last edited by SF Hunter; June 3rd, 2013, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slicklynx666 View Post
      Well, it's been awhile since I left the recruiters office, and I am down from 220 to 214 now.(slow progress) I want to get in more than ever now, and I have read about people being able to get waivers being 10 lbs over the weight to get enlisted, and then they either work it off before they ship to BT or during BT. Is this possible? My recruiter said I need to get down to about 197-205 lbs which should leave me at enough bf% to be able to get in.

Also, I have many friends who were in marines/national guard and they said they had a lot of fat bodies in their platoon who came out of BT in perfect shape. Did those people get waivers?
      There are no waivers for body fat. There are two different criteria for body fat. The initial entry does allow for a higher BF% and the BF % is lower for those already in. For the Army at least, once the Soldier is in the Army it is difficult and a lengthy process to kick someone out due to being overweight.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I am at about 28%-29% bf right now. I heard there is a test at MEPs that I can do, a up down test on a block and some push ups, is that still available? Or MUST I get down to 26% before talking with a recruiter again. Like I said, it just boggles my mind how I see overweight people being enlisted, going to basic then coming back fit. I thought that is what it's like, I know it's not some fat camp or anything, but I thought you would be able to enlist if you're a few bf% over the limit then drop more before and during basic.

Comment

Do yourself a favor.

Stay at home. work on loosing weight. Work on letting go or your old eating habits like making a stop at the midnight drive-thru at McDonald's, eating candy, and drinking sodas. Drastically increase your cardiovascular exercising. Running alone isn't going to do it. Research cross-training online.

Put waivers out of your head. There's nothing worse than going to BCT out of shape. to You don't go to BCT to get into shape. Going to BCT to get into shape is like going to the drag strip on Saturday night and hoping someone is going to let you borrow a supercharger so you can compete in the super stock.
          Last edited by SF Hunter; June 3rd, 2013, 10:28 AM.

Comment

No such waiver exist. If you want it bad enough, you'll drop the weight! I was at 28% BF when I first spoke with a recuriter. The second time I did, I dropped down to 26% BF. This was the bare max BF for my age. Keep working at it and stay determined! Yes, you'll lose more weight after BCT/AIT but you still need to meet the required min to even go.

Good Luck!

Comment

Like I said, it just boggles my mind how I see overweight people being enlisted, going to basic then coming back fit. I thought that is what it's like, I know it's not some fat camp or anything, but I thought you would be able to enlist if you're a few bf% over the limit then drop more before and during basic.
              One more thing. If you ever end up making it into basic and come back home "fit", don't be one of those fat bodies that balloon right back up and make the whole Army look bad because of your indiscipline. Make sure to maintain a well rounded workout program and keep the fast food and junk to a minimum. Unlike active duty, the Guard doesn't offer a mandatory PT program. You will be expected to do it on your own and maintain standards. Fitness isn't a destination, it's a way of life.

Comment

My recruiter would always ask "...how bad do you want it?"

My initial visit was 80#'s over the max allowable for enlistment & around 35% when taped. I busted @ss and enlisted the day before my bday, roughly 5 months later, at 212#'s and 25% when taped. Yes, I'm working to drop another 20 or so before shipping to avoid being taped as well as maintain the standard of 24% or better.

As stated above, this is a lifestyle change so keep it up!

Comment

Working...
                X