Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current Civilian Police Officer in Ohio Needs Help...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Current Civilian Police Officer in Ohio Needs Help...

    Let me start off by appologizing if this was not the correct place to post this, as I was unable to locate any other posts that fit my situation.

    13 years ago, at age 17, I enlisted in the OH ARNG. After attending a few drill weekends, I requested, and was granted, a release from service to enlist in another component (OH ANG). Once the paperwork was completed, I began attending drill with the new unit. After approximately 6 months of drill, I was sent to BCT at Lackland, AFB.

    While in BCT, I received news from home that at the age of 17 I felt that I needed to attend to. After speaking with one of my TIs, he informed me that there was nothing that he could do for me. Again, being young and dumb, I faked a panic attack which ultimately led to me receiving an "Entry Level Separation IN LIEU of a Medical Board Evaluation". The separation code was JFC "erroneous enlistment".

    I have never had any history of panic/anxiety disorders and have never had another episode, as this one was staged.

    Now, fast forward to being a mature adult...On April 14, 2009, I began trying to re-enlist in the OH ARNG. My initial hurdle was receiving all of my documentation from my prior service. After 16 months, and two Congressional Inquires, I received my medical/service records from MPR in St. Louis. Once I received these documents, my initial recruiter began the process of getting me back in.

    During this time, I faced several hurdles and went through several recruiters (change of assignment). Each new recruiter I spoke with, had different avenues of approach that they wanted me to try. They requests were for me to obtain documentation from independent physicians to verify that I am mentally stable and fit for duty. All of which verified that I am.

    I have been a Police Officer for almost 9 years, and I have regretted my juvenile decisions every day. For the past four years and one month, I have not given up on trying to get back in, and right my wrongs. On April 8, 2012, my waiver packet was received by NGB for review. However, I have not received any update after that. The last recruiter I worked with, was the most helpful person I have met. However, he too was reassigned. When I contacted the recruiting office to check on the status of my waiver, I was informed that no one in the office knew anything about it!

    I made another Congressional Inquirary about the status of my waiver, and I am waiting on a response. To sum all of this up...is 13 months a typical wait time for a response from NGB? Is there anyone else I can contact about this. The local recruiting staff have spoken with their chain of command, and they all say that they haven't seen/heard anything in their weekly briefings on waiver status.

    I am highly motivated and I refuse to give up. I've spent the last four years jumping through every hoop needed and I am finally at a loss for direction on this. If there is anyone out there that can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. I am not opposed to traveling out of state to enlist. Whatever it takes!

    I appreciate your time.

    Respectfully,

    R. Hawley

  • #2
    Re: Current Civilian Police Officer in Ohio Needs Help...

    This is an Army National Guard Forum so are you interested in the Army or Air Force NG?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Current Civilian Police Officer in Ohio Needs Help...

      Originally posted by STPDK9 View Post
      Let me start off by appologizing if this was not the correct place to post this, as I was unable to locate any other posts that fit my situation.

      13 years ago, at age 17, I enlisted in the OH ARNG. After attending a few drill weekends, I requested, and was granted, a release from service to enlist in another component (OH ANG). Once the paperwork was completed, I began attending drill with the new unit. After approximately 6 months of drill, I was sent to BCT at Lackland, AFB.

      While in BCT, I received news from home that at the age of 17 I felt that I needed to attend to. After speaking with one of my TIs, he informed me that there was nothing that he could do for me. Again, being young and dumb, I faked a panic attack which ultimately led to me receiving an "Entry Level Separation IN LIEU of a Medical Board Evaluation". The separation code was JFC "erroneous enlistment".

      I have never had any history of panic/anxiety disorders and have never had another episode, as this one was staged.

      Now, fast forward to being a mature adult...On April 14, 2009, I began trying to re-enlist in the OH ARNG. My initial hurdle was receiving all of my documentation from my prior service. After 16 months, and two Congressional Inquires, I received my medical/service records from MPR in St. Louis. Once I received these documents, my initial recruiter began the process of getting me back in.

      During this time, I faced several hurdles and went through several recruiters (change of assignment). Each new recruiter I spoke with, had different avenues of approach that they wanted me to try. They requests were for me to obtain documentation from independent physicians to verify that I am mentally stable and fit for duty. All of which verified that I am.

      I have been a Police Officer for almost 9 years, and I have regretted my juvenile decisions every day. For the past four years and one month, I have not given up on trying to get back in, and right my wrongs. On April 8, 2012, my waiver packet was received by NGB for review. However, I have not received any update after that. The last recruiter I worked with, was the most helpful person I have met. However, he too was reassigned. When I contacted the recruiting office to check on the status of my waiver, I was informed that no one in the office knew anything about it!

      I made another Congressional Inquirary about the status of my waiver, and I am waiting on a response. To sum all of this up...is 13 months a typical wait time for a response from NGB? Is there anyone else I can contact about this. The local recruiting staff have spoken with their chain of command, and they all say that they haven't seen/heard anything in their weekly briefings on waiver status.

      I am highly motivated and I refuse to give up. I've spent the last four years jumping through every hoop needed and I am finally at a loss for direction on this. If there is anyone out there that can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. I am not opposed to traveling out of state to enlist. Whatever it takes!

      I appreciate your time.

      Respectfully,

      R. Hawley
      This is an Army National Guard Forum so are you interested in the Army or Air Force NG?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Current Civilian Police Officer in Ohio Needs Help...

        Chief,

        I apologize for the confusion, I have been attempting to re-gain entry into the Army National Guard.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Current Civilian Police Officer in Ohio Needs Help...

          13 months at NGB for a waiver is excessive... I'm not saying something blew smoke up your 4th POC, but..

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Current Civilian Police Officer in Ohio Needs Help...

            Originally posted by STPDK9 View Post
            Chief,

            I apologize for the confusion, I have been attempting to re-gain entry into the Army National Guard.
            No problem. BTW, what was your RE-Code and perhaps the Congressionals cause some resentment on their part.
            Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; June 2nd, 2013, 01:10 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Current Civilian Police Officer in Ohio Needs Help...

              TxIntel,

              I completely agree that the time frame is excessive! In a letter from the NGB that I received last year through my Congressman's Office, it stated that my packet was received on 08 April 13, and that it was currently under review. The letter also stated that I should keep in contact with my recruiter for further updates. I contacted my recruiter once a month to check on the status. Each time, he informed me that he had not received any further information. Due to this, he suggested that I make another Congressional Inquiry. I am currently waiting on that response. Based on the given information, do you have any additional advice or words of wisdom? As I previously stated, I have been on this endeavor for the past four years, and I'm at a loss. Also, would there be any benefit of attempting to gain entry through a surrounding state?

              I appreciate your input.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Current Civilian Police Officer in Ohio Needs Help...

                Chief,

                On my NGB-22 from the Army NG, it lists an RE-1. However, one of the issues we have run into was that the Air Guard didn't put an RE code. Instead, they put "ineligible" in the box for the RE code. After several months of digging, I found an AF document that shows that this was normal practice to put eligible or ineligible in the box. Also, the document said that these codes only apply to the AF. I'm sure I can find the documentation on that again.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Current Civilian Police Officer in Ohio Needs Help...

                  A little additional info on my situation...I have already been to MEPS and didn't have any issues there. After passing everything at MEPS, I had to get the approval from a unit commander. The commander contacted my SGT at work, and myself. After a lengthy conversation, the commander approved me coming to the unit, once the waiver process is over. Does this acceptance have any weight on the approval of the waiver? Also, is there a waiver review board that I will be able to go in front of to plead my case? I appreciate the help.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Current Civilian Police Officer in Ohio Needs Help...

                    I would continue to pester them. I've never heard of a waiver being up at NGB for 13 months....

                    However, you stated that "it stated that my packet was received on 08 April 13, and that it was currently under review".. That date is not too long ago. Typo?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Current Civilian Police Officer in Ohio Needs Help...

                      TxIntel,

                      That was a typo. It was received April 8, 2012.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Current Civilian Police Officer in Ohio Needs Help...

                        Update...

                        I just left the recruiting office. Although my most recent recruiter was not in the office, one of the other recruiters tried to check on the status of my waiver. He informed me that my waiver is not showing up on the server. He wasn't sure if waivers get purged from the system after a period of time. Does anyone else know if that's what happens?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Current Civilian Police Officer in Ohio Needs Help...

                          Originally posted by STPDK9 View Post
                          Update...

                          I just left the recruiting office. Although my most recent recruiter was not in the office, one of the other recruiters tried to check on the status of my waiver. He informed me that my waiver is not showing up on the server. He wasn't sure if waivers get purged from the system after a period of time. Does anyone else know if that's what happens?

                          Do you have the original packet that you submitted? You probably have to start from scratch. Sounds like it got "lost".

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Current Civilian Police Officer in Ohio Needs Help...

                            Chief,

                            Luckily, my previous recruiter saved all of the documents and made me a copy, before he switched assignments. My current recruiter called me a few minutes ago. He contacted my previous recruiter that got reassigned to Operations. Turns out, that's probably a benefit to me. Apparently he remembered my situation, and was also surprised that I haven't heard anything. My recruiter told me that they will have more info tomorrow, on why the waiver hasn't been returned yet. Through all the years of having an uphill battle, I finally feel that this endeavor is going to work out in my favor. I'm praying for the best, but prepared for the worst...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Current Civilian Police Officer in Ohio Needs Help...

                              After speaking with my recruiter today, I learned that they received a response from the NGB. They say that my waiver packet has not been worked, because they need "further documentation". However, my recruiter has no idea what additional documentation they need/want.

                              Is there any recruiters on here that have experienced similar issues? I completely realize that I made a mistake as a juvenile. I don't know where else to turn for advice.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X