X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am i eligible to join?

So i have Asperger's Syndrome which is a high functioning form of autism, i basically just don't like crowds i can handle them better now from years of experience but i just don't like them, i do have depression and it getting better, however im on a bit of medication a few are controlled substance ones and i may have to go off of them to join i know that and recognize that, the only part i don't know is i had a period where i would get so anxious that i passed out, hasn't happened for a while now but i don't know if that's a disqualification automatically?

Re: Am i eligible to join?

Originally posted by NomadicNomad View Post
    i basically just don't like crowds i can handle them better now from years of experience but i just don't like them
    I don't know about the actual medical qualification/disqualification part of your question, but here is what I think:

I have worked with teens that have Asperger's, and my personal advice is to not join. I can tell you right now that if you are on the spectrum at all, Basic Training, AIT, and any deployments you may get assigned will be completely miserable for you. You will not be in control of any aspect of your life, you will not be free to make your own decisions, you will have to do things you think are completely pointless, and you will have to do things in a way you may not think is the best way. On top of all of that, you will be forced to share your personal space with multiple people you may or may not get along with. I appreciate your desire to serve your country, but I think there may be a better route for you to go about it.

Comment

Military formation=crowds.

Comment

There's no way any branch would let you in with that information alone.

Comment

So i have Asperger's Syndrome which is a high functioning form of autism, i basically just don't like crowds i can handle them better now from years of experience but i just don't like them, i do have depression and it getting better, however im on a bit of medication a few are controlled substance ones and i may have to go off of them to join i know that and recognize that, the only part i don't know is i had a period where i would get so anxious that i passed out, hasn't happened for a while now but i don't know if that's a disqualification automatically?
          Asperger's Syndrome = NO GO. Depresion = NO GO

Comment

You are a NO GO at this station. Sorry bud, maybe look into the peace corps.

Comment

Dear OP,
              Just like some of the other people posting here, I have no proper medical training so I am not going to say YES or NO to you. However, I know that if you are on medication it is a no-go for BCT. In the Army you work as a team. So how big is a "crowd" to you? 10, 20, 30 or more? MEPS is extremely picky.
              Something that could be to your advantage is that if the syndrome either doesn't affect you anymore and you can show it in academics. As in, what was your High School or College GPA? If you went to college, what level degree did you attain? Did you need specific educational exceptions?

Comment

Working...
              X