Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about the Guard.

Edit:

Hi my name is Travis.

I'm currently thinking of enlisting in the National Guard but had a few questions before I make a decision.

I have just applied today so I will be waiting for a reply from my recruitment officer but wanted to feel safe and get some opinions while I wait.

My first question is. Because I am married what would be my options for seeing help with my wife. I am the Primary caregiver and if I decided to enlist and was sent for training she would have no finacial support. She would not be able to come with me as she is currently in collage classes.

Anyways my current situation is that basically I am ready to move up in life and my job is holding me back after 4 years I've gone no were and I know that I could do so much more. I work in a high stress enviroment and I am constantly working with people, I react well in groups and believe I'm well rounded, and a bit sparatic and hyper but that fuels my friendships.

I always wanted to be a Helicopter pilot since I was young and one of my fears is heights. To beat my fears and to become financially stable is really my goal. Joining the guard would hit 2 birds with 1 stone.

I currently do meet the Weight Limit, I Believe I'm 5'11 but I could be 5'10 and I'm 179.3 pounds but because of my Metabolism being high I can easily lose it..

I think that sums it up.. please feel free to pick my post apart I know I'm not the best at being grammatically correct or my sentence structure.
    Last edited by Travis Wilcox; May 28th, 2013, 07:06 PM. Reason: Correcting my Paragraph and Question.

Re: Thinking about the Guard.

Originally posted by Travis Wilcox View Post
    Hi there my names Travis.

I currently live in Portland Maine, had a question about joining the Guard.

Let me explain my situation;

I'm currently married and am working a full time job at a fast food restaraunt and my paycheck covers the rent.
    I'm worried about if my wife will be taken care of if I enlist and pass everything. She is currently a Student and, has fall
    classes coming up.

I have just applied today to speak to a Recruitment officer. But wanted a second opinion just to clarify.

I am the primary caregiver of the household and if I enlisted she would have no way of sustaining herself if I was sent away for training.
    You'll be getting paid while you're in training. You could theoretically automate the payment of your bills, including an allowance to her, or just give her power of attorney to pay bills on your behalf.

Comment

Before you get to far ahead of yourself, you need to ensure that you qualify.

My first two questions would be, what level of education do you have, High School Diploma or GED and what types of medications have you been on or are currently on? Any history of ADD/ADHD?

Best of luck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Travis Wilcox View Post
        I always wanted to be a Helicopter pilot since I was young and one of my fears is heights. To beat my fears and to become financially stable is really my goal. Joining the guard would hit 2 birds with 1 stone.
        It's not that easy to be a helicopter pilot. Not one of those MOSs you just sign up for. You will need to either become a Commissioned Officer and attend Flight School, or do a good bit of enlisted time as a Crew Member and go to Warrant OCS, then go to Flight School.

The National Guard will also not fix your job situation. If your job is unsatisfying, going to Basic Training and AIT won't fix it. Your job will still be unsatisfying when you get home. NG is not a full-time job.

Comment

Thank you for the Information..

As for medications I have never been on Medication and never had a history of ADD or ADHD, I can be hyper but from memory I've never been documented to have any.

Being hyper is just part of my personality when I meet new people its in my personality to spill my heart. You either like me or you don't kind of person.

as for my job I'm well aware that its not a full time job I'm just extreamly pumped to try and qualify I don't know anything yet as I'm waiting for contact with a recruiter.

though as is with my hyper personality I would do everything possible to achieve my goals being a "Helicopter Pilot" would be awesome I know that I may not be suited for that

and that's perfectly alright with me.

I would just plan to be the best possible for what I can do. "If" I can achieve my goal then that would be great but I don't expect to get what I want by just having hopes and

dreams. :P

thank you all for replying with speed and accuracy and I appreciate the feedback It really fuels me more to get more information on what I can do.

Comment

Working...
          X