X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior Marine to National Guard

I got out in 2011 as an E3 in the Marine Corps, I served only 4 years, my MOS was Motor Transportation Operator (truck driver), I wanted to know if I can go into the Guard with a different MOS, like a Medic, or Infantry? I will be going on a EMT course in a month for a civilian job.

I actually miss all the BS the Military has...

What would I have to do as training as Prior Service.

Re: Prior Marine to National Guard

You need to speak to a recruiter on MOS openings in your state. Good thing is that at your grade, you should have more options available.

If you go into a new MOS (like I did when I went from USMC to Guard); I had to wait sometime to go to a reclass school.

Comment

Re: Prior Marine to National Guard

Obviously the first thing we would need to look at is the RE Code & SPD on your DD214. May require a waiver.

Concerning changing your MOS, as long as your line scores are good (ASVAB) you would likely be able to change to Medic or Infantry as long as there are slots available. Another thing to consider is how far you're willing to travel for your weekend drill. If I could find you a 68W (Medic) but it's 2-3 hr drive, will you take that?

There also may be bonuses available for 88M (Motor Trans Opr) that may sway your decision.

Concerning your training as PS, if you change your MOS you would be required to attend an MOS recalls course, say 11B, Infantry for approx two weeks. After that, you're awarded that MOS and will conduct your weekend drills and annual two week AT.

Comment

Working...
      X