Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Migraines Question

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Migraines Question

    Hi all,

    I get migraines somewhat routinely (1-3 times per month). They are not so severe or long-lasting that they are debilitating I would say, but when I do get them I sometimes take off work and usually just lay low at the house - either in bed sleeping or on the couch watching TV until they go away (usually takes 1, maybe 2 days). I guess I would put it on par with getting a cold or the flu - usually they are bad enough that I don't feel like doing much, but usually they are not bad enough that I couldn't do things if I really needed to.

    How does the National Guard view something like this? If I got one of these when I was scheduled for weekend drills, BCT, etc. would I be required to report for duty anyway, or is there something comparable to "sick leave" in the military world? Is there anyone in the Guard that gets migraines like these that wouldn't mind sharing their experience?

    The rest of the time, 90%+ of the time, I'm completely fine so I would hate for something like this to keep me from joining at all.

  • #2
    Re: Migraines Question

    Originally posted by GenChamberlain View Post
    Hi all,

    I get migraines somewhat routinely (1-3 times per month). They are not so severe or long-lasting that they are debilitating I would say, but when I do get them I sometimes take off work and usually just lay low at the house - either in bed sleeping or on the couch watching TV until they go away (usually takes 1, maybe 2 days). I guess I would put it on par with getting a cold or the flu - usually they are bad enough that I don't feel like doing much, but usually they are not bad enough that I couldn't do things if I really needed to.

    How does the National Guard view something like this? If I got one of these when I was scheduled for weekend drills, BCT, etc. would I be required to report for duty anyway, or is there something comparable to "sick leave" in the military world? Is there anyone in the Guard that gets migraines like these that wouldn't mind sharing their experience?

    The rest of the time, 90%+ of the time, I'm completely fine so I would hate for something like this to keep me from joining at all.
    Army Reg 40-501 Sec 2-26: Neurological disorders

    "History of recurrent headaches (784.0), including, but not limited to, migraines (346) and tension headaches that interfere with normal function in the past 3 years, or of such severity to require prescription medications, do
    not meet the standard."

    If the migraines are bad enough that they would force you to miss drill, then they probably meet the "interfere with normal function" standard.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Migraines Question

      If you got one during BCT would you be required to report for duty anyway?

      Yes. And train.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Migraines Question

        The miltary needs 110% able bodied people.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Migraines Question

          Originally posted by enceladus View Post
          Army Reg 40-501 Sec 2-26: Neurological disorders

          "History of recurrent headaches (784.0), including, but not limited to, migraines (346) and tension headaches that interfere with normal function in the past 3 years, or of such severity to require prescription medications, do
          not meet the standard."

          If the migraines are bad enough that they would force you to miss drill, then they probably meet the "interfere with normal function" standard.
          Thanks for the info. So if I were able to go to drill even with a headache, I should be okay then? What's the likelihood of getting a medical waiver on this issue? Is it possible to do the medical waiver process up front so that way if they don't give me one, I haven't wasted anyone's time on the rest of the enlistment process?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Migraines Question

            It states that the condition does not meet standards, so why would you try to continue to pursue an enlistment?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Migraines Question

              OP - you said you get them 'routinely' 1 - 3 times month. Even if, hypothetically, you could get a waiver, BCT is 10 weeks long, I spent an additional 2 in reception, that would be 3-9 migraines.....during training, getting up at 05:00 or earlier for PT, 100 degree temperatures or hotter, road marches in the heat with added weight, the NBC (gas) chamber, etc....

              There are no sick days, there is no 'I'm not training today, I have a headache'..

              Don't worry if you could drill with a migraine, you have to get through BCT first and you have to get through MEPS to get there....and persistent, consistent, routine migraines do not meet the standard.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Migraines Question

                DISQUALIFIED

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Migraines Question

                  Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                  OP - you said you get them 'routinely' 1 - 3 times month. Even if, hypothetically, you could get a waiver, BCT is 10 weeks long, I spent an additional 2 in reception, that would be 3-9 migraines.....during training, getting up at 05:00 or earlier for PT, 100 degree temperatures or hotter, road marches in the heat with added weight, the NBC (gas) chamber, etc....

                  There are no sick days, there is no 'I'm not training today, I have a headache'..

                  Don't worry if you could drill with a migraine, you have to get through BCT first and you have to get through MEPS to get there....and persistent, consistent, routine migraines do not meet the standard.
                  It states that the condition does not meet standards, so why would you try to continue to pursue an enlistment?
                  The miltary needs 110% able bodied people.
                  Isn't that the point of medical waiver, is to address problems relating to not meeting the standards?

                  So you're 110% able-bodied when you get the flu while you're in the military? Or do people in the military just not get the flu ever?

                  So just because BCT is hard and drilling with a migraine would make it that much harder, I should quit? Last I checked, joining the National Guard isn't about taking the easy way out. I'm not interested in the easy way out. I'm simply trying to understand the process and my options. If a "sick day" isn't an option, that's fine - I can understand why it wouldn't be. I just wanted to know.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Migraines Question

                    There are Soldiers who have lost limbs in combat and were allowed to remain in the service and continue to perform outstanding. Can a civilian with no military background and missing a limb join? Get my drift.

                    My remark was about having no issues that are not waiverable based on current MEPS standards.

                    The point is that you have a disqualifying condition. You do not have to listen to us. Just go to the recruiter, explain the condition and see if you can get a waiver approved to enlist. Is is really that simple than going back and forth on here.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Migraines Question

                      Originally posted by GenChamberlain View Post
                      Last I checked, joining the National Guard isn't about taking the easy way out. I'm not interested in the easy way out. I'm simply trying to understand the process and my options. If a "sick day" isn't an option, that's fine - I can understand why it wouldn't be. I just wanted to know.
                      I agree but that is about intestinal fortitude and doing a self-assess gut check after you are serving and dealing with the challenges of military service; not about the discussion on your issue. Again, refer to my previous post instead of debating the issue. You will quickly know more or less of where you stand.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Migraines Question

                        Originally posted by GenChamberlain View Post
                        Or do people in the military just not get the flu ever?
                        No; we get flu shots.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Migraines Question

                          Originally posted by GenChamberlain View Post

                          So you're 110% able-bodied when you get the flu while you're in the military? Or do people in the military just not get the flu ever?
                          Sure, we get the flu and other maladies.... and then we go to work. We can't/don't take sick days for drill.

                          Say you were deployed to the sandbox and your unit was about to conduct a convoy in a high risk area... and your migraine kicks in. Can you function? Can you be 110% up on your weapon, ready to lay into an insurgent who threatens your or your unit? Or will you be there, but distracted because your noodle is pounding?

                          Not trying to bust your chops OP, but the point being is that medical waivers for new enlistees are for conditions that generally are an annoyance or won't detrimentally affect the mission. Having a neurological disorder with that frequency is more than a simple annoyance.

                          But by all means, go to MEPS, work with a recruiter and see how it pans out. They may waive it...

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X