X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misdiagnosed with ADD / Never taken meds

So when I was in second grade I was diagnosed with ADD. I have never taken meds or seen a psychologist for therapy for it. At MEPS, when it came to the "have you ever been diagnosed with Depression, ADD or ADHD?" I said "Yes, but I have never seen a psychologist for therapy or taken any medication for it." I graduated from High School with 3.5 gpa, on the Arts Honor Society, and graduated with my Bachelors in Science with a 3.22 with four years on the Dean's List. All without educational assistance. The doctor said "Well since you have add. . . (then she spent 5 minutes frantically flipping through her regulation book) I have to disqualify you and you can apply for a waiver". Now that its been a week and I am getting anxious because I am trying to go for OCS, I have been researching the regulations. Many people say that "If you haven't taken any medication or seen a therapist for a year, ADD is NOT disqualifying". Furthermore, if I had over a 2.0 gpa in high school/college the Army NG does not consider the person in question to be affected by ADD. I have been in contact with my recruiter, but haven't relieved that much information on my situation. I am guessing he is busy with his other recruits or just frustrated at the situation (I would be, because he was very enthusiastic about my OCS packet together for the board).

My question is, did this doctor at MEPS disqualify me on the wrong grounds? Meaning, should I or shouldn't have been disqualified seeing that I have never taken meds, seen a therapist or had any educational assistance.

I am worried that the OCS board will see this ADD on my packet and will say I'm a no-go. Anyone able to shed some light on it?

Re: Misdiagnosed with ADD / Never taken meds

The 'OCS Board' is never going to see ADD on your packet because you cannot even enlist now as you have been told you need a waiver. If you told her you were diagnosed with ADD, the rest is semantics, it is now up to you and your recruiter to put together a waiver packet. If your waiver is approved and you can enlist than it will not be an issue with your OCS packet.

Why would a doctor 'diagnose' you with something and then never treat you? If your doctor did nto feel that ANY treatment or medication was necessary and it obviously did not adversely affect your schoolwork, you should not have even mentioned it.

Just my .02 cents.

Comment

OP, you basically shot yourself in the foot with this. If you were diagnosed back in the 2nd grade, never took meds (as in EVER) and are a college graduate, why would you even bring this up? You know that you are good to go (your records and accomplishments show that) and the diagnosis was probably just an overzealous doctor looking for a paycheck. It's the same for people who said they had asthma in kindergarten or the like and who played sports in HS with no issues, ever.

But to answer your question, No. The Doctor disqualified you on the correctly (AR 40-501). He also probably rolled his eyes when you told him your story but since you threw that out there, he had to go with it. If you get in with a waiver, then this will have no bearing on your OCS packet since you will be medically qualified by MEPS (and you will have completed BCT).

Not trying to beat you up over this, but we see this far too often in these forums. Recruits need to have a little common sense when speaking to MEPS, their recruiters and the like. Someone is probably going to pipe up with "Oh, but he was being honest.. blah, blah, blah". Yes you were, but there is a thing as too much information and that simply clouds the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
        The 'OCS Board' is never going to see ADD on your packet because you cannot even enlist now as you have been told you need a waiver. If you told her you were diagnosed with ADD, the rest is semantics, it is now up to you and your recruiter to put together a waiver packet. If your waiver is approved and you can enlist than it will not be an issue with your OCS packet.

Why would a doctor 'diagnose' you with something and then never treat you? If your doctor did nto feel that ANY treatment or medication was necessary and it obviously did not adversely affect your schoolwork, you should not have even mentioned it.

Just my .02 cents.
        Yes, hindsight is always 20/20. However I mentioned it because I am going for an officer position and I did not want to appear to be a liar or deceitful. I had an T-IEP in High School, and if the Army National Guard looked at my High School record, they would see that and I would be red-flagged. Was being honest, as is my character, but seemed to bite me in the butt. On the doctor not giving me medication or therapy. Well, as you know not all doctors are good doctors. A lot of people I know have been misdiagnosed with ADD or ADHD. Just like a lot of people have been told by a doctor, "you are allergic to penicillin" where 90% of those people who are told they are allergic, actually aren't. The Army National Guard Senior Liaison (I don't know how to properly refer to him as) said, "This disqualifying note is just a set back, you WILL be accepted. So just get your waiver together so we can get it done and get you in"

I just hope when my High School and College transcripts arrive and I put my waiver together that it doesn't take four months like some people are saying.

Thank you for your 0.02 cents, any info or talking to is reassuring to me at this point.
        Last edited by Headstrong; May 15th, 2013, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
          Not trying to beat you up over this, but we see this far too often in these forums. Recruits need to have a little common sense when speaking to MEPS, their recruiters and the like. Someone is probably going to pipe up with "Oh, but he was being honest.. blah, blah, blah". Yes you were, but there is a thing as too much information and that simply clouds the issue.
          Yeah, haha too bad I can't do it over and just not mention it huh? MEPS does a good job at saying "BE HONEST, IF YOU ARE CAUGHT LYING YOU WILL BE DISCHARGED DISHONORABLY" and then you think, "Well my recruiter said no means go . . . but what if he is just trying to meet quota and doesn't care if I get dishonorably discharged. . . "

Comment

Originally posted by Headstrong View Post
            Yeah, haha too bad I can't do it over and just not mention it huh? MEPS does a good job at saying "BE HONEST, IF YOU ARE CAUGHT LYING YOU WILL BE DISCHARGED DISHONORABLY" and then you think, "Well my recruiter said no means go . . . but what if he is just trying to meet quota and doesn't care if I get dishonorably discharged. . . "
            You can't be discharged if you are never enlisted.

Comment

I wouldn't sweat it too much. You got set back a while because of the waiver process, but that's about it.

Comment

Thank you guys for the talk. Hopefully my process isn't too lengthy. I wanted to get into BCT by January. I have been working out 6/7 days to get more muscle mass, trying to get as close as I can to 300+/300 with the PFT. I want to go for Aviation Officer or SF Officer. At least I will have more time to get more mass, that's the brighter side of this situation.

Comment

Thank you guys for the talk. Hopefully my process isn't too lengthy. I wanted to get into BCT by January. I have been working out 6/7 days to get more muscle mass, trying to get as close as I can to 300+/300 with the PFT. I want to go for Aviation Officer or SF Officer. At least I will have more time to get more mass, that's the brighter side of this situation.

If you want Aviation, you'll need to start getting in touch with AV units once you get back from BCT. In addition, depending on how your state's OCS branches new LTs, you may not have a choice in the matter if they branch based on "needs of the Army".

As far as SF, if I am wrong someone will correct me, but SF officers have to be O-2P before they're even considered. So you can't *branch* SF. You can branch INF, go to the hooah schools (AB, AAS, Ranger) in preparation for SF.... which may be a good idea.

Either way, good luck with everything and keep us posted.

Comment

If you want Aviation, you'll need to start getting in touch with AV units once you get back from BCT. In addition, depending on how your state's OCS branches new LTs, you may not have a choice in the matter if they branch based on "needs of the Army".

As far as SF, if I am wrong someone will correct me, but SF officers have to be O-2P before they're even considered. So you can't *branch* SF. You can branch INF, go to the hooah schools (AB, AAS, Ranger) in preparation for SF.... which may be a good idea.

Either way, good luck with everything and keep us posted.
                    Roger Wilco sir,

Actually just got called by my recruiter, seems that I can meet this week with the board and his boss is extremely confident about me. Got a very big weekend for me, graduation ceremony, proposing to my (hopefully) soon-to-be fiance, AND the OCS board. . . hooah!

Comment

Roger Wilco sir,

Actually just got called by my recruiter, seems that I can meet this week with the board and his boss is extremely confident about me. Got a very big weekend for me, graduation ceremony, proposing to my (hopefully) soon-to-be fiance, AND the OCS board. . . hooah!
                      As a potential future candidate, please don't ever say Roger and Wilco together again. You'll understand why soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
                        As a potential future candidate, please don't ever say Roger and Wilco together again. You'll understand why soon enough.

see.

I saw that, bit my tongue and walked away.

Comment

Over and out!

Comment

OP, you basically shot yourself in the foot with this. If you were diagnosed back in the 2nd grade, never took meds (as in EVER) and are a college graduate, why would you even bring this up? You know that you are good to go (your records and accomplishments show that) and the diagnosis was probably just an overzealous doctor looking for a paycheck. It's the same for people who said they had asthma in kindergarten or the like and who played sports in HS with no issues, ever.

But to answer your question, No. The Doctor disqualified you on the correctly (AR 40-501). He also probably rolled his eyes when you told him your story but since you threw that out there, he had to go with it. If you get in with a waiver, then this will have no bearing on your OCS packet since you will be medically qualified by MEPS (and you will have completed BCT).

+1. Somethings, at times, are unnecesarrily divulged.

http://www.military.com/join-armed-f...cess-faqs.html

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                              +1. Somethings, at times, are unnecesarrily divulged.

http://www.military.com/join-armed-f...cess-faqs.html
                              + 464,372,975,6744,20934587234957489523409554656

Needs to be a permanent sticky.

Hell--that link needs to be configured to pop-up the second after someone creates a member account and tries to access the guard forums.

Comment

Working...
                              X