X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I need of a waiver?

Note: The title of this thread was supposed to be "Am I IN need of a waiver"

I asked online with the "chat with a soldier option"(I believe that's what it was) once last month and the answer seemed too good to be true so I wanted to double check If I'm still good to join with this "criminal" history.

To make a long story short, in September of 2012 I was involved in a self-defense related shooting. I was given two charges.

FIREARM: RECKLESS HANDLING VA Code Section 18.2-56.1 Class 1 Misdemeanor.
    &
    SHOOT IN PUBLIC PLACE: NO INJURY VA Code Section 18.2-280 Class 1 Misdemeanor.

I was found innocent of the Reckless Handling charge, but found guilty of the charge of Shooting in Public.

It's the only charge I have ever been found guilty of in my entire life aside from a few traffic infractions (under 5 infractions). Am I going to need a waiver for the shooting in public charge?
    Last edited by kpericin; May 5th, 2013, 08:41 AM.

Re: Am I need of a waiver?

I'd also like to add that for the charge that I was found guilty of, all fines have been payed and I was not given any form of probation. I also would like to add that I do have a GED if that is of any matter.
    Last edited by kpericin; May 5th, 2013, 08:41 AM.

Comment

First of all, we need to determine what the level of offense you were convicted of is. My guess is SHOOT IN PUBLIC PLACE is considered a non-traffic offense which would not require a waiver. Read below and tell us what your charge falls under.

According to AR 601-210:

(1) If the maximum confinement under local law is 6 months or fewer, the offense should be treated as a other non
      traffic offense. If the maximum confinement under local law exceeds 6 months, but does not exceed 1 year, treat the
      offense as a misconduct offense. If the maximum confinement exceeds 1 year, treat the offense as a major misconduct.
      If the local law considers the offense a felony, then treat as a major misconduct.

Comment

I very much appreciate your service and the time you are taking to answer my question. I hope this information will help clarify exactly what kind of penalty the charge I was convicted of holds.

"For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both."

Quoted from the code of Virginia.

Is the charge that I was found innocent of or my GED going to be a factor?
        Last edited by kpericin; May 6th, 2013, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Good luck with the GED..........thats another beast you got to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by AIRBORNE View Post
            Good luck with the GED..........thats another beast you got to deal with.
            Are they not accepting people with GED's now or something?

Comment

I now understand that ominous statement. I will have to take the AIMS/TAPAS Psychometric personality tests and score well on them in order to move on. Well, good thing both tests have a nice big pdf file explaining exactly what they are and how they work courtesty of the DOD it's self.

Comment

Check the forums on GEDs. There are new special rules regarding them and getting into the Guard.

Comment

Working...
                X