X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruiter said to deny having Lasik

I'm looking for some help on this on and I;m really struggling. I spoke to my recruiter last week and filled out some paperwork before MEPS. When it came to medical history, I had Lasik surgery over a year ago. However, he said to just put "no" for everything, including LASIK. In the heat of the moment I wasn't thinking and just listened to what he said.

Now thinking about it, I do not want to lie about this. Not only do I feel completely wrong for doing it, but my doctor said he can tell if someone has had LASIK with a simple look into the eye, and I feel like there will be a high chance of getting caught lying which could get me in serious trouble. I want to tell him that I am not going to lie about it, and I want to get a waiver and give whatever documentation is needed. I still have another month until MEPS, so I have plenty of time to get it sorted out, but I'm looking for any advice here and I greatly appreciate it.

Lastly, I found this http://www.tamc.amedd.army.mil/offic...ery%202005.pdf
    Is this the waiver form they will want at MEPS? And if it is, would I simply be able to have the doctor fill it out and bring it tomy recruiter? Or will they have to send it to MEPS themselves?

Re: Recruiter said to deny having Lasik

I just love it when a recruiter tells an applicant to lie about medical history, especially something that can SO easily be determined/discovered.

You need to be forthcoming with all medical procedures to include the LASIK. Its usually, not a big deal when it comes to a waiver for it. Many many applicants now have this type of procedure done and you are more than far enough long (< 6 months) since having it done, to be considered.

Comment

I would start getting all of your paperwork from your LASIK doctor in hand now. When you get to MEPS and you go over it, it will be helpful to have all of that in hand already, especially since the MEPS NG shop is going to need it anyhow for your waiver...

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyboy33 View Post
        I'm looking for some help on this on and I;m really struggling. I spoke to my recruiter last week and filled out some paperwork before MEPS. When it came to medical history, I had Lasik surgery over a year ago. However, he said to just put "no" for everything, including LASIK. In the heat of the moment I wasn't thinking and just listened to what he said.

Now thinking about it, I do not want to lie about this. Not only do I feel completely wrong for doing it, but my doctor said he can tell if someone has had LASIK with a simple look into the eye, and I feel like there will be a high chance of getting caught lying which could get me in serious trouble. I want to tell him that I am not going to lie about it, and I want to get a waiver and give whatever documentation is needed. I still have another month until MEPS, so I have plenty of time to get it sorted out, but I'm looking for any advice here and I greatly appreciate it.

Is this the waiver form they will want at MEPS? And if it is, would I simply be able to have the doctor fill it out and bring it tomy recruiter? Or will they have to send it to MEPS themselves?
        The reality is, "serious trouble" doesn't happen. It is a scare tactic, and only that. No one is in jail for lying at meps. Can Lasik be discovered by a trained Doc looking in the eye....yes. Is it going to happen to you at Meps, no. Is there a guarentee they will accept the waiver, no. Are you lying, yes. Is your recruiter right, yes. Will you get in trouble, no. Am I telling you to lie, no. Am I just telling you how it is, yes.

If they were to discover it, you would be right back to where you will be now, trying to scramble for paperwork and causing a long and unnecessary waiting period. If he were telling you to lie about something that could risk your life or the life of others I would have a different take, and he should be fired, but he isn't...he is right.

Being 100% truthful at meps does not get you very far.

Comment

Is this the waiver form they will want at MEPS? And if it is, would I simply be able to have the doctor fill it out and bring it to my recruiter? Or will they have to send it to MEPS themselves?
          Sounds like your recruiter wants to take a chance on you getting kicked back from MEPS to his/her office before he/she decides to get you a waiver. It's one thing to have a bumb knee or a cracked tooth. It's quite another to have some kind of easily detectable surgery. Even if you get past MEPS they may catch the eye surgery when you're in reception during processing, then you'll REALLY be stuck.

(2) History of refractive surgery including, but not limited to: Lamellar (P11.7) and/or penetrating keratoplasty (P11.
          6). Radial Keratotomy and Astigmatic Keratotomy does not meet the standard. Refractive surgery performed with an
          Excimer Laser, including but not limited to, Photorefractive Keratectomy (commonly known as PRK), Laser Epithelial
          Keratomileusis (commonly known as LASEK), and Laser-Assisted in situ Keratomileusis (commonly known as
          LASIK) (P11.7) does not meet the standard if any of the following conditions are met:
          (a) Pre-surgical refractive error in either eye exceeds + 8.00 to - 8.00 diopters.
          (b) At least 6 months recovery period has not occurred between last refractive surgery or augmenting procedure and
          accession medical examination.
          (c) There have been complications, and/or medications or ophthalmic solutions are required.
          (d) Post-surgical refraction in each eye is not stable as demonstrated by—
          1. At least two separate refractions at least one month apart, the most recent of which demonstrates more than +/- 0.
          50 diopters difference for spherical vision and/or more than +/- 0.25 diopters for cylinder vision; and
          2. At least 3 months recovery has not occurred between the last refractive surgery or augmenting procedure and one
          of the comparison refractions.
          Last edited by VICEROY06; May 1st, 2013, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
            Even if you get past MEPS they may catch the eye surgery when you're in reception during processing, then you'll REALLY be stuck
            He wouldn't be stuck at all. It is a waivable condition and once you are in it meets retention standards. I concur with his recruiter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
              The reality is, "serious trouble" doesn't happen. It is a scare tactic, and only that. No one is in jail for lying at meps. Can Lasik be discovered by a trained Doc looking in the eye....yes. Is it going to happen to you at Meps, no. Is there a guarentee they will accept the waiver, no. Are you lying, yes. Is your recruiter right, yes. Will you get in trouble, no. Am I telling you to lie, no. Am I just telling you how it is, yes.

If they were to discover it, you would be right back to where you will be now, trying to scramble for paperwork and causing a long and unnecessary waiting period. If he were telling you to lie about something that could risk your life or the life of others I would have a different take, and he should be fired, but he isn't...he is right.

Being 100% truthful at meps does not get you very far.
              But what would happen if, hypothetically speaking down the road, a freak accident such as a bad poke in the eye causes the flap to be dislodged and I need medical care ASAP, and its discovered then that I did not disclose LASIK at MEPS?

Comment

But what would happen if, hypothetically speaking down the road, a freak accident such as a bad poke in the eye causes the flap to be dislodged and I need medical care ASAP, and its discovered then that I did not disclose LASIK at MEPS?
                Safety First - Always wear your Eye Pro.

Comment

Nothing at all.

*NOTE: I am not encouraging the OP to lie, I am merely telling him the truth, as he is expected to do as well.

Comment

Nothing. For this scenario, Absolutely nothing.

Comment

He wouldn't be stuck at all. It is a waivable condition and once you are in it meets retention standards. I concur with his recruiter.
                      I'm not going to fault the moderators. Hey guys, y'all do a great job. It's not like you're getting paid to check posts.

It's my fault for having too many windows open and dealing with too many priorities on the job. My fault for being messy with my own editing.

Somewhere along the way I was along the train of thought of telling the OP not to lie only to risk the possibility of getting caught in the lie later in reception. I also placed in that prior half-edited post the conditions for LASEK being acceptable and thereby waiverable.

Call me crazy but if I were the OP's recruiter (and I know I'm not a recruiter) but it would make sense to just get the guy a waiver for his LASEK before driving him to MEPS.

Comment

I'm not going to fault the moderators. Hey guys, y'all do a great job. It's not like you're getting paid to check posts.

It's my fault for having too many windows open and dealing with too many priorities on the job. My fault for being messy with my own editing.

Somewhere along the way I was along the train of thought of telling the OP not to lie only to risk the possibility of getting caught in the lie later in reception. I also placed in that prior half-edited post the conditions for LASEK being acceptable and thereby waiverable.

Call me crazy but if I were the OP's recruiter (and I know I'm not a recruiter) but it would make sense to just get the guy a waiver for his LASEK before driving him to MEPS.
                        Just because it is waivable, doesn't mean waiver is granted. The current end strentgh of that state may come into play. Trust me when I tell you saying no is a 99.9 percent guarentee, and saying yes is somewherw around 65/35.

Comment

Just because it is waivable, doesn't mean waiver is granted. The current end strentgh of that state may come into play. Trust me when I tell you saying no is a 99.9 percent guarentee, and saying yes is somewherw around 65/35.
                          LASEK is the only thing I would be on the fence about. Can a G.I. Opthamologist or Optometrist spot LASEK work? I don't know. I've stood in tons of lines and talked to dozens of soldiers about everything from LASEK to flat feet. I haven't run into anyone in the OP's situation.

Comment

Obviously there are trust issues between you and your Recruiter. If you don't trust his guidance and his experience maybe it would be best if you pursued another career.

Comment

LASEK is the only thing I would be on the fence about. Can a G.I. Opthamologist or Optometrist spot LASEK work? I don't know. I've stood in tons of lines and talked to dozens of soldiers about everything from LASEK to flat feet. I haven't run into anyone in the OP's situation.
                              Yes..they can. How many ophtamoligists (spelling..sorry)..work at MEPS...0, zero, and or none.

Comment

Working...
                              X