Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recruiter said to deny having Lasik

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
    Yes..they can. How many ophtamoligists (spelling..sorry)..work at MEPS...0, zero, and or none.
    Perhaps not at MEPS but maybe somewhere else.

Case in point: I've got really, really screwed up eyes--scar tissue in my retinas from Uveitis. I got past MEPS--nobody cared. I got past reception downrange--A few eyebrows were raised but ultimately nobody cared.

I ran into a G.I. Opthamologist at another undisclosed reception battalion. He took one look at my eyes, then he introduced himself as a full fledge Opthamologist blah, blah, blah. He was on the verge of pulling the plug when I had a very long conversation with him. In so many words I convinced him that since I was only passing through for in processing and being shipped to another training battalion where I can get the proper services he let me go.

I'm not in the very least trying to bragg. Nevertheless, a soldier that doesn't possess the savviness and isn't under the right circumstances probably wouldn't be able to talk his way out of being separated.

On a side note:

A kid in my platoon at BCT made it past MEPS, made it past reception and made it to week 7 before they pulled the plug on him. He went to sick call one day because he had trouble breathing after an APFT. Turns out he had a hole in his chest large enough to put my fist in. He was missing two ribs above his heart--birth defect. Craziness.
    Last edited by VICEROY06; May 2nd, 2013, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Meh, I made it all the way through BCT, partial OCS, ROTC and BOLC with having my LASIK done on the down low. The first person who asked about it was the last PHA (because I mentioned it) and they could not have cared less....

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
        Perhaps not at MEPS but maybe somewhere else.

Case in point: I've got really, really screwed up eyes--scar tissue in my retinas from Uveitis. I got past MEPS--nobody cared. I got past reception downrange--A few eyebrows were raised but ultimately nobody cared.

I ran into a G.I. Opthamologist at another undisclosed reception battalion. He took one look at my eyes, then he introduced himself as a full fledge Opthamologist blah, blah, blah. He was on the verge of pulling the plug when I had a very long conversation with him. In so many words I convinced him that since I was only passing through for in processing and being shipped to another training battalion where I can get the proper services he let me go.

I'm not in the very least trying to bragg. Nevertheless, a soldier that doesn't possess the savviness and isn't under the right circumstances probably wouldn't be able to talk his way out of being separated.

On a side note:

A kid in my platoon at BCT made it past MEPS, made it past reception and made it to week 7 before they pulled the plug on him. He went to sick call one day because he had trouble breathing after an APFT. Turns out he had a hole in his chest large enough to put my fist in. He was missing two ribs above his heart--birth defect. Craziness.
        These examples and not similiar in comparison. The hole in the chest and possibly your eye condition are things that do not or might not meet retention standards. Lasik on the other hand does. No one will give a flying poo.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
          Meh, I made it all the way through BCT, partial OCS, ROTC and BOLC with having my LASIK done on the down low. The first person who asked about it was the last PHA (because I mentioned it) and they could not have cared less....
          I made it all the way through MEPS five times, BCT, two receptions, MRI's at AIT, and all the way through three PHA's for two cancelled deployments but got stopped at my Chapter II Commissioning physical and put on profile because of a 2 centimeter blip on my echocardiogram reading. Over 2 months of chasing 3 doctors and a case manager nurse to prove my heart was healthy. At the end the doc that signed off on my paperwork could have cared less.

Point being until you make it all the way through no one with any kind of 'undocumented' surgeries or other medical issues can say they'll go completely through the system with zero issues. And it would be wrong not to at least make someone wary of any possible snags in the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
            I made it all the way through MEPS five times, BCT, two receptions, MRI's at AIT, and all the way through three PHA's for two cancelled deployments but got stopped at my Chapter II Commissioning physical and put on profile because of a 2 centimeter blip on my echocardiogram reading. Over 2 months of chasing 3 doctors and a case manager nurse to prove my heart was healthy. At the end the doc that signed off on my paperwork could have cared less.

Point being until you make it all the way through no one with any kind of 'undocumented' surgeries or other medical issues can say they'll go completely through the system with zero issues. And it would be wrong not to at least make someone wary of any possible snags in the foreseeable future.
            I get where you are coming from, but there is greater risk in asking for a waiver than there is by just denying it, when we are talking about LASIK. This is not the same for all conditions, to each their own.

Comment

I get where you are coming from, but there is greater risk in asking for a waiver than there is by just denying it, when we are talking about LASIK. This is not the same for all conditions, to each their own.
              It's cool. It's a risk he's just going to have to take just like most of us have.

Comment

OP, just be honest. If something did go wrong, what are you going to say? That some barracks lawyer on some forum told you to lie?

Comment

Just because it is waivable, doesn't mean waiver is granted. The current end strentgh of that state may come into play. Trust me when I tell you saying no is a 99.9 percent guarentee, and saying yes is somewherw around 65/35.
                  Would it help my chances if I'm enlisting with a college degree and 4.0 gpa?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyboy33 View Post
                    Would it help my chances if I'm enlisting with a college degree and 4.0 gpa?
                    Medical waivers only focus on the medical waiver being addressed. Most likely this waiver would be granted, but I still concur with your recruiter.

Comment

Easy Waiver.........Never trust a Recruiter we are bad people! What an idiot!!!!

Comment

What if..........you deny having a recruiter? Dum dum dummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Comment

Name:  6474cde4d4231754948e582cabc1e897.gif
Views: 4
Size:  1.1 KB

Comment

I had PRK prior to joining. I knew I was joining so I made sure to get all the paperwork from the doctor. I submitted the paperwork to MEPS. They didn't ask any questions about it during the physical at all. (November 2010)

Comment

Working...
                            X