X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young man looking to better himself.

In summary, I'm a 19 year old, lazy, unmotivated, smart-ass, guy trying to stop being a lazy, unmotivated, smart-ass. Thus far, I have failed at trying to fix that for the past year now. I need a little help to kick these bad habits and I believe the military would give me the push I need to stay hard working as I seem to relapse fairly quickly after motivating myself to get better at this.

I have one major issue that seems to be brought up on every military site I've looked up today. I do not have a high school diploma or the college credit equivalent. I've got a G.E.D. and a past of screwing around and not getting work done or turning it in if I do. Test scores are usually As and Bs but my overall homework and work ethic got me in trouble a lot, and on one occasion, held back.

I'd like to think I'm a bit wiser and smarter now, but my bad habits and apathetic tendencies seem to make me relapse back into laziness rather quickly every time I get the motivation to try and change that about me. Granted, I can still hold a job but I quickly lose interest in anything that doesn't yield immediate results.

All that being said, I recently tried to get into college and fix up my education, but quickly started failing and falling into old habits. I'm wanting to try again, but I'm afraid my less than impressive past is going to catch up with me again. I'm pretty sure a strict and hard working lifestyle could put me on track so I could come back to college and try it again with my lazy nature being broken and replaced with some discipline and a bit of direction.

Any advice? Is there somewhere else I should go? Is there a job I haven't found that you guys would think to be good for me? Constructive criticism only please, I've had plenty of people tell me how stupid or lazy I'm being without actually telling me how to fix it (other than stop being lazy )

Re: Young man looking to better himself.

Well, you have the "Integrity" part of LDRSHIP down pat.

Yes, you can join with a GED per the National Guard site (REF: LINK).

However, you have to weigh the options of what you want to do. Yes, the military and NG will give you some discipline, but after BCT and AIT, you are on your own again except for Drill weekends and AT. Do you need more than that to square yourself away? Then look into Active Duty.

Only you know how bad you are in terms of laziness, motivation, etc. Can 10 weeks of BCT and a few month of AIT cure it? That's on you OP.

Comment

And you have excellent writing skills too.

Comment

Just to throw out there in case this comes up, the GED Plus program is currently suspended.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner View Post
          In summary, I'm a 19 year old, lazy, unmotivated, smart-ass, guy trying to stop being a lazy, unmotivated, smart-ass.

Any advice?

Yes.

Stop trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
            Yes.

Stop trolling.
            Any reason to say this based on one post?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
              Any reason to say this based on one post?
              Smells too much like a kid looking for an audience rather than looking for guidance.

Comment

Smells too much like a kid looking for an audience rather than looking for guidance.
                I felt the same way. For the description he gave and has a G.E.D; he is a great writer lol. I guess I am stereotyping but from my observance of posters over the years; I just got that vibe.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                  I felt the same way. For the description he gave and has a G.E.D; he is a great writer lol. I guess I am stereotyping but from my observance of posters over the years; I just got that vibe.
                  You make a good point, but no, I am not trolling. I'm actually pretty gifted when it comes to writing, I just have issues applying myself to anything for more than a few days. It took me a while just to actively start looking into military options.

I've been told by my dad that marines probably wouldn't be best for me but I'm not sure that's true. Can you guys think of any reason he would say that?
                  Last edited by Tanner; May 2nd, 2013, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Don't sweat it Tanner. The forums have been getting a lot of spammers and trolls lately so I am sure that's why they were a little cautious.

Comment

You make a good point, but no, I am not trolling. I'm actually pretty gifted when it comes to writing, I just have issues applying myself to anything for more than a few days. It took me a while just to actively start looking into military options.

I've been told by my dad that marines probably wouldn't be best for me but I'm not sure that's true. Can you guys think of any reason he would say that?
                      Actually, joining the Marines would have been the first thing I suggested you do, if not for that Arthur Fonzarelli/James Dean/Pvt. John Winger intro of yours.

If you're serious about making a change in your life, then you need to leave the chip on your shoulder at the doorstep. No one needs to know nor do they care that you're "lazy" or a "smart-ass".

I'm not the end all be all of what's Army but I'm willing to bet that they aren't in the business of 'whipping you into shape' anymore. You might have a better chance of getting that type of training environment in the Marines.

Comment

You should get your fifteen credits by going back to school and with that, take a look at the Marines as well.

Comment

You should get your fifteen credits by going back to school and with that, take a look at the Marines as well.

Comment

I'm not the end all be all of what's Army but I'm willing to bet that they aren't in the business of 'whipping you into shape' anymore. You might have a better chance of getting that type of training environment in the Marines.
                            Probably right. Best bet on the Army side would be 11 or 19 series (at Benning) for that. :-\

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                              Probably right. Best bet on the Army side would be 11 or 19 series (at Benning) for that. :-\
                              I don't see it happening. The Drill Sergeants will yell at him for a couple weeks then give up on him if he fails to adapt. Those "lazy smart-ass" types usually end up on CQ duty 24-7 and running crazy ass errands like being a battle buddy for a guy on sick call or sweeping around the company until the 1st Sergeant decides to kick em' back to the Reception Battalion for a few months before they get sent home. National Guard rejects have to go straight home. State funds you know.
                              Last edited by VICEROY06; May 2nd, 2013, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X