Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

DQ'd 3 1/2 years ago...is there a chance???

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DQ'd 3 1/2 years ago...is there a chance???

3 1/2 years ago I went through the enlistment process to try and enlist as an active duty army soldier. filled out all paperwork all that fun stuff. I do have a juvenile record from when i was 16. when i tried joing i was was 20 and now im going on 24. My juvenile charges were class d felony auto theft, class d felony for "stealing the keys" even though I found them. and Misdeamenor false informing. when i tried to enlist, waivers were sent through for my juvenile record and were approved. what got me disqualified was a psych consult, i had told them that i went to counseling when i was 12-13 for family counseling because my mother wanted to better our relationship, and of course at 12 years old you cant tell your parents no(of course i didnt want to get grounded haha) so i had to do it weather i wanted to or not, and thats what the disqualification was for. at the time of disqualification i had been to MEPS 2 times, and my recruiter told me there was still a chance i could get in. at that time i just decided to go back to school, but ive still always wanted to join, and now i want to really see if there is something that can be done. only thing on my record now since turning 18 is a conversion charge(wrong place at the wrong time) and a couple driving while suspended tickets. ive tried going into the recruiters office to talk to them, but they say we'll call you in a couple days and they never do, i would really like to know what my options are if there are any at all. Ive always wanted to be a soldier.

Re: DQ'd 3 1/2 years ago...is there a chance???

Originally posted by AKlink89 View Post
    3 1/2 years ago I went through the enlistment process to try and enlist as an active duty army soldier. filled out all paperwork all that fun stuff. I do have a juvenile record from when i was 16. when i tried joing i was was 20 and now im going on 24. My juvenile charges were class d felony auto theft, class d felony for "stealing the keys" even though I found them. and Misdeamenor false informing. when i tried to enlist, waivers were sent through for my juvenile record and were approved. what got me disqualified was a psych consult, i had told them that i went to counseling when i was 12-13 for family counseling because my mother wanted to better our relationship, and of course at 12 years old you cant tell your parents no(of course i didnt want to get grounded haha) so i had to do it weather i wanted to or not, and thats what the disqualification was for. at the time of disqualification i had been to MEPS 2 times, and my recruiter told me there was still a chance i could get in. at that time i just decided to go back to school, but ive still always wanted to join, and now i want to really see if there is something that can be done. only thing on my record now since turning 18 is a conversion charge(wrong place at the wrong time) and a couple driving while suspended tickets. ive tried going into the recruiters office to talk to them, but they say we'll call you in a couple days and they never do, i would really like to know what my options are if there are any at all. Ive always wanted to be a soldier.
    I am not a recruiter but I thought those felonies will PDQed you. Also, at this time, due to the drawdown, enlisting with issues is harder than ever. Right now is a bad time for people who had issues that prevented them from joining in the past, to try to re-attempt at this time.

Comment

and pretty much the only way that the military would try to boost up there enlistments would be if something extreme happens again right?

Comment

and pretty much the only way that the military would try to boost up there enlistments would be if something extreme happens again right?

Pretty much. Even then OP, your chances are slim to nil getting in. Reason being... Ok, so. You did a couple of dumb things as a teen and got put in the pokey. The juvenile stuff got waived past (amazingly... but still) and your proceeded on.

What tripped you up was the psych consult. What you described to us and what happened are cause for some concern. Plenty of people go see shrinks as kids to work through some parental issues. However, at 20 years of age, the Psych Doc felt it necessary to DQ you... still. The question remains, "What the heck did you tell him?!?"

There is some underlying issue, which the Doc is required to explain, that he thinks bars your from military service. You best bet (and that is if he didn't PDQ you) is to find out what he thought was so bad and work to prove it otherwise.

It's still a very, very long shot... And the Chief is right. With those felonies, it's a no-go. Hopefully, Mr.Incognito will chime in with the rules on juvenile records to be exact.

Comment

3 1/2 years ago I went through the enlistment process to try and enlist as an active duty army soldier. filled out all paperwork all that fun stuff. I do have a juvenile record from when i was 16. when i tried joing i was was 20 and now im going on 24. My juvenile charges were class d felony auto theft, class d felony for "stealing the keys" even though I found them. and Misdeamenor false informing. when i tried to enlist, waivers were sent through for my juvenile record and were approved. what got me disqualified was a psych consult, i had told them that i went to counseling when i was 12-13 for family counseling because my mother wanted to better our relationship, and of course at 12 years old you cant tell your parents no(of course i didnt want to get grounded haha)
          Yeah, so, don't tell the military about anything you didn't have control over when you were a child, especially if it doesn't affect your current mental and/or physical status as an 'adult'.

Yeah, yeah, yeah you're going to hear it again and again until members learn how to perform a search via Google.

Even if the psych doc at MEPS let you slip through a crack somebody down the line would have caught it at reception, then you'd really be in trouble--Stuck in the barracks being given the runaround for two or three months while you nag people to death at the company and battalion level until they get tired of seeing you and decide to send you home. Count yourself lucky.

Comment

Working...
          X