Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
I want to join, Right now. Career, just hand me a contract and send me where you want me. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to join, Right now. Career, just hand me a contract and send me where you want me.

Hello, I have a few questions regarding the National Guard. I am 23 years old, I am reasonably fit, 5'4 130 pounds. I have inherited my grandmothers 3 bedroom house, and I have been doing the best I can to maintain it and pay the bills on my own for a while now, and I was doing great until I got laid off of work. I was working 40-50 hours a week at 10 dollars an hour at a small factory, I operated a few different machines and I packaged and labeled the products we produced there. The company that handles the product orders was changed to a different one, and the new one failed to find any work for us, so five out of seven of us were laid off due to lack of work, and it has now been over a month. I am having trouble finding a new job, I have went to a job fair, and filled out a bunch of online applications, with no luck so far. I have always wanted to join the military, and now seems as good of a time as any. I could borrow money from my family to pay the bills while I finish basic training, then pay it back later as I work in the military. That's the plan I would like to put into motion. However, there are a few things that are holding me back.

I have went and talked to the Recruiters from just about every military branch. The Army, The Marines, The Navy, and I tried to find one for the air force but the office I went to had moved to another location. They all told me that without a high school diploma I could not join without a certain number of college credits, because the diploma I have, is not considered as an actual diploma, it's considered as a G.E.D. Now what I find funny about this, is that the Diploma I have, was given to me by the National Guard, A military branch, and yet it is not good enough to get into the military with. It seems kind of like a bad joke.

When I was young and dumb, and in high school, I did not do so well. Not because I was not smart, rather because I was lazy. I failed too many years simply because I was lazy, and did not understand the importance of school. I was eventually told about the Mississippi Youth Challenge program, which takes in kids such as myself, and teaches them Self Discipline, and at the completion of the five month program, also gives them a G.E.D, and if completed with no problems, an actual diploma as well.

So I now have two G.E.D's, both obtained from the same place, and a few college credits. ( There was a small class at the academy for students that were above average to complete a few college credits while at the camp, I was one of them )

When I graduated the program, about 5 or 6 years ago, I had Recruiters hounding me left and right, from all branches. I was offered a fifty thousand dollar sign on bonus from one, 20 thousand from the other, as well as other sign on bonuses. I turned them down, because I was still, young and dumb. I have regretted it ever since. If I had signed up 6 years ago, I would be doing pretty well right now, and also have a good 5 years or so of service under my belt. But i'm still young, I figure I can still start, even if I'm a little late, and I am ready to join right this minute. I have talked to recruiters in the past a few times, and they always told me to come back when I was 100 percent sure I wanted to join, and now I am.

So the point of this whole short story I just typed out is, I am ready to join, right now, but I am not sure about if I meet the requirements, and I was wondering if there is ANYTHING that anyone could do to help me get in. I have always had the deepest respect for those in service, and I have always wanted to be one of them. I want to go as far away from my home as possible, I want to see the world, and I want to serve my country. I want to retire in the military after a long career. Thank you for reading all of this, and I would greatly appreciate any replies. Oh and I forgot to add my ASVAB Score, I think I made a 55 on it, and at that time the army required a 30 to join, and the marines and other branches required a 50, if my memory is correct.
    Last edited by Michaelc6; April 20th, 2013, 01:48 PM. Reason: additional information

Re: I want to join, Right now. Career, just hand me a contract and send me where you want me.

When was the last time you talked to a Army NG recruiter? You need to go back to their office and start re-engaging.

Comment

Re: I want to join, Right now. Career, just hand me a contract and send me where you want me.

I talked to two National Guard Recruiters at the job fair I went to 3 days ago. I told them about my situation and they said they would look into it and let me know the next day, and I filled out a paper with some general information about myself. They could still be looking into it, but I never got a call back from them so I kind of figured they might have had no luck. Ill have to find the office they are at if I want to speak to them in person again, because the one they were at moved to mobile, about 45 minutes from where I live, and I have no idea where it is located at.
      Last edited by Michaelc6; April 20th, 2013, 02:01 PM. Reason: Spelling errors.

Comment

45 minutes from Mobile? Where do you live? I live in Meridian, MS. If you're close enough nearby I know a few good recruiters in MS. One of which I served overseas with. He wouldn't steer you wrong.

Comment

Well 45 minutes if traffic is bad, mobile is actually more like 30 minutes away, I live in Stapleton AL. I think Ocean springs mississippi is about an hour away, so you could use that as a basis to see how far I am from Meridian, as I have no idea where meridian is

Comment

How about Gulfport/Biloxi? My buddy is a recruiter there. I can set something up for you if you would like. If you have any questions about anything at all, I can PM my phone number to you as we'll as the phone number to him.

Comment

Sure, I would like to talk to him and see what he says.

Comment

Working...
              X