Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to MEPS, now medical Waiver is needed. Any insight?

So, finally made it to MEPS today to enlist in the Army national guard. Did the whole physical, everything went great. Perfect vision, great hearing, etc. My Blood pressure reading was also good on its first try. Here is the problem...

The ONLY thing i marked yes on my medical screen was that 5 years ago while serving in active duty Navy, they told me my blood pressure was a little high. No medication was ever prescribed, no treatment was ever given. That was the ONLY time i have ever had higher blood pressure mentioned to me and it was not even above the 140/90 threshold... Keep in mind, my blood pressure today at MEPS when they checked it was about 130/70, which is way below what they consider "high BP".

So, the doc DQ'd me and said that i first need a medical waiver in order for me to sign the contact and swear in... I don't need to do the 3 consecutive BP readings at the doctor deal, just a medical waiver for the "history" of the "high" BP..... Is this not a little preposterous? I don't have a chronic history of it, never was prescribed any meds for it, nor did it read high today at MEPS...? I am confused and disappointed in the system. The doc did say to me, he will recommend the waiver gets approved. Don't know if he really meant it, has any pull in the matter, or if he was trying to just make me feel better after ripping out my hope of swearing in today, lol.

Also, will this med waiver effect what jobs i can get in the Army National Guard? I have my mind dead set on 19D Cavalry Scout, which would have been available today if i signed contract. I would also like to possibly go to airborne school down the road. I just don't want this medical waiver to "haunt" me so to speak when i Pick my desired MOS of 19D when the waiver finally gets approved, or later down the road when applying to special training like airborne/rangers/etc... but if it does, so be it.

Any insight on my situation would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!!

Before you reply with... "Why did you tell them about the Blood pressure".... save your breath. I am an honest person and am not going to lie or withhold any information to get into the military. i did'nt the first time i came in 13 years ago, and not going to do it this time. Besides, that is not the question i am asking. I dont need help with my moral demeanor. Thank you
    Last edited by humveedude; April 18th, 2013, 11:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Re: Went to MEPS, now medical Waiver is needed. Any insight?

Originally posted by humveedude View Post
    So, finally made it to MEPS today to enlist in the Army national guard. Did the whole physical, everything went great. Perfect vision, great hearing, etc. My Blood pressure reading was also good on its first try. Here is the problem...

The ONLY thing i marked yes on my medical screen was that 5 years ago while serving in active duty Navy, they told me my blood pressure was a little high. No medication was ever prescribed, no treatment was ever given. That was the ONLY time i have ever had higher blood pressure mentioned to me and it was not even above the 140/90 threshold... Keep in mind, my blood pressure today at MEPS when they checked it was about 130/70, which is way below what they consider "high BP".

So, the doc DQ'd me and said that i first need a medical waiver in order for me to sign the contact and swear in... I don't need to do the 3 consecutive BP readings at the doctor deal, just a medical waiver for the "history" of the "high" BP..... Is this not a little preposterous? I don't have a chronic history of it, never was prescribed any meds for it, nor did it read high today at MEPS...? I am confused and disappointed in the system. The doc did say to me, he will recommend the waiver gets approved. Don't know if he really meant it, has any pull in the matter, or if he was trying to just make me feel better after ripping out my hope of swearing in today, lol.

Also, will this med waiver effect what jobs i can get in the Army National Guard? I have my mind dead set on 19D Cavalry Scout, which would have been available today if i signed contract. I would also like to possibly go to airborne school down the road. I just don't want this medical waiver to "haunt" me so to speak when i Pick my desired MOS of 19D when the waiver finally gets approved, or later down the road when applying to special training like airborne/rangers/etc...

And you disclosed this why? Being prior service I would have suspected you would know better. I'm sure your recruiter did as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
      And you disclosed this why? Being prior service I would have suspected you would know better. I'm sure your recruiter did as well.
      Because i was simply being honest... I'm not going to say no when there was a question asking if i ever had high blood pressure. Even if it was only once. I'm currently working on getting a law enforcement job in the civilian sector and people fail the poly portion for such simple things as "white lies". I know, i've been working on getting into law enforcement for a long time. The background detective will ask have i ever falsified any official documents or made any false statements to officials for personal gain, while i am hooked up to the polygraph. Now, with a clear consciousness i can say no. I would hope that everyone is as honest as me when it comes to the medical screen, but i know that is not the case...

Comment

+1. This is the same as saying, "I cut my finger on a thorn and got an infection for it".

Comment

I am simply being honest.... I am not going to say no, when a question clearly asked have you ever had an issue. I would hope that everyone applying for a position inside the military or government in general would be as honest as me. Also, i am in the process of getting a civilian job in law enforcement. I have seen guys fail the polygraph for a simply "white lie" or misconception. I know from previous experience, the background detective will ask have you ever falsified any statements or official documents for personal gain. Or, something along those lines. Now, with a clear mind i can say no to that question. Furthermore, My question asked for any INSIGHT, not HINDSIGHT. Whats done is done. Thanks.

Also, if the questionnaire asked if i ever got an infection, i would have answered yes. Even if it was from a thorn. Just the kind of person I am. But i did'nt, so.... Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by humveedude;182704

So, the doc DQ'd me and said that i first need a medical waiver in order for me to sign the contact and swear in... I don't need to do the 3 consecutive BP readings at the doctor deal, just a medical waiver for the "history" of the "high" BP..... Is this not a little preposterous? I don't have a chronic history of it, never was prescribed any meds for it, nor did it read high today at MEPS...?

[B
            Update for Mr Incognito and Kemosabe:[/B] I am not looking for any Hindsight as to what i should have said or done. I am asking for any insight. I am not going to lie or mislead anyone on my enlistment papers, as the fellow members are suggesting below. I would hope that anyone enlisting into the military or any position of government was fully honest in disclosing everything, no matter how slight they may seem. I am eventually planning on getting into law enforcement in the civilian sector and don't want to pop on the polygraph for some superficial "white lie" i did when applying to join the military. Because they will ask... i know.
            There is no insight to offer. You made a bad decision.

Lying, misleading, and volunteering are three completely different things.

No one is going to pull you aside, polygraph you, and ask you if you've ever, ever, ever stubbed your toe.

Polygraph tests aren't worded in such a way that they're looking for irrelevant information.

Does the fact that I swell up like a potato if I get a penicillin shot need to be known on my paperwork? No.

Does the fact that I nearly had my eye knocked out of the socket by a freak baseball accident need to be officially recorded? No.

Are you being untruthful in ANY way by not answering truthfully on a polygraph? Potentially, yes. Does the guy administering the polygraph care? No.

It's not lying or misleading to leave out the fact that at one point in time you may have taken a BP test after having drank a soda or eaten a candy bar. Every person in the medical diaspora knows that BP readings aren't always 100%. And no one has ever had their career flushed down the toilet because they didn't volunteer information about a medical issue that wasn't chronic or life-threatening on their paperwork.
            Last edited by VICEROY06; April 18th, 2013, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
              There is no insight to offer. You made a bad decision.

Lying, misleading, and volunteering are three completely different things.

No one is going to pull you aside, polygraph you, and ask you if you've ever, ever, ever stubbed your toe.

Polygraph tests aren't worded in such a way that they're looking for irrelevant information.

Does the fact that I swell up like a potato if I get a penicillin shot need to be known on my paperwork? No.

Does the fact that I nearly had my eye knocked out of the socket by a freak baseball accident need to be officially recorded? No.

Are you being untruthful in ANY way by not answering truthfully on a polygraph? Potentially, yes. Does the guy administering the polygraph care? No.

It's not lying or misleading to leave out the fact that at one point in time you may have taken a BP test after having drank a soda or eaten a candy bar. Every person in the medical diaspora knows that BP readings aren't always 100%. And no one has ever had their career flushed down the toilet because they didn't volunteer information about a medical issue that wasn't chronic or life-threatening on their paperwork.
              wow, i am surprised how many dishonest people there are here. not to mention people who can't read what i am asking. it is never a bad decision to be honest. you amaze me. and you obviously have no clue about police polygraphs. they do care and they will ask. i have done these in the past. don't talk any what you don't have any experience with.

Comment

wow, i am surprised how many dishonest people there are here. not to mention people who can't read what i am asking. it is never a bad decision to be honest. you amaze me. and you obviously have no clue about police polygraphs. they do care and they will ask. i have done these in the past. don't talk any what you don't have any experience with.
                And don't be over-presumptuous about people who you have no knowledge of.

I've taken several polygraphs over a number of years for various forms of security and law enforcement jobs as well as had several criminals polygraphed who had committed felonies.

You're the one on the outside looking in.

Have a nice day.

Comment

Also, will this med waiver effect what jobs i can get in the Army National Guard? I have my mind dead set on 19D Cavalry Scout, which would have been available today if i signed contract. I would also like to possibly go to airborne school down the road. I just don't want this medical waiver to "haunt" me so to speak when i Pick my desired MOS of 19D when the waiver finally gets approved, or later down the road when applying to special training like airborne/rangers/etc...

Update for Mr Incognito and Kemosabe: I am not looking for any Hindsight as to what i should have said or done. I am asking for any insight. I am not going to lie or mislead anyone on my enlistment papers, as the fellow members are suggesting below. I would hope that anyone enlisting into the military or any position of government was fully honest in disclosing everything, no matter how slight they may seem. I am eventually planning on getting into law enforcement in the civilian sector and don't want to pop on the polygraph for some superficial "white lie" i did when applying to join the military. Because they will ask... i know.
                  Your statements I have bolded above should have been the clue-in. Got it you don't want hind-sight, but those forms you fill out at MEPS and their screening are intentionally designed to keep people out of the service. They are also designed to catch things that would fall into that "document, chronic history" category. You never had any documented medication or treatment so there was no need to disclose it. That equates to "I was sick one time and took some tylenol," which you obviously aren't going to put every instance of that on those forms.

Moving ahead though, it's not at all preposterous that you now have to have a waiver because again...MEPS screening is to do everything they can to keep people out. You brought up a "potential" issue so now you have to go through their Red Tape. That's pretty standard. It will be as simple as going to your normal doctor and getting a letter that reads something like "humveedue has never had any documented cases of high blood pressure, no chronic history, and has never been perscribed any medication for high blood pressure..." etc. They'll then send it up for a med-read and you should be good-to-go.

Something like that isn't limiting on your job assignment as say physical limitations of limbs, eye-sight, color-blindness, etc. As long as 19D is still available the next time you get projected to MEPS you should still be able to get it. It shouldn't hurt you in the future either once you are in-service.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
                    Your statements I have bolded above should have been the clue-in. Got it you don't want hind-sight, but those forms you fill out at MEPS and their screening are intentionally designed to keep people out of the service. They are also designed to catch things that would fall into that "document, chronic history" category. You never had any documented medication or treatment so there was no need to disclose it. That equates to "I was sick one time and took some tylenol," which you obviously aren't going to put every instance of that on those forms.

Moving ahead though, it's not at all preposterous that you now have to have a waiver because again...MEPS screening is to do everything they can to keep people out. You brought up a "potential" issue so now you have to go through their Red Tape. That's pretty standard. It will be as simple as going to your normal doctor and getting a letter that reads something like "humveedue has never had any documented cases of high blood pressure, no chronic history, and has never been perscribed any medication for high blood pressure..." etc. They'll then send it up for a med-read and you should be good-to-go.

Something like that isn't limiting on your job assignment as say physical limitations of limbs, eye-sight, color-blindness, etc. As long as 19D is still available the next time you get projected to MEPS you should still be able to get it. It shouldn't hurt you in the future either once you are in-service.
                    He really doesn't need a waiver.

But what do I know. I'm a liar.

Comment

And don't be over-presumptuous about people who you have no knowledge of.

I've taken several polygraphs over a number of years for various forms of security and law enforcement jobs as well as had several criminals polygraphed who had committed felonies.

You're the one on the outside looking in.

Have a nice day.
                      Actually, you are the one on the outside of the truth. If your statement was true then you would know they DO CARE if you are being honest on the poly, lol. I have taken them in the past as well, for multiple agencies. They all give you some form of a pre-polygraph questionnaire with a ton of questions including one along the lines of " have you ever falsified any statements to gain employment or for personal gain". then during the poly, they will ask if you answered the entire questionnaire truthfully. It all depends on the person taking the poly and their perception of what is a lie... For me, not telling the military about my blood pressure, would have and is a lie in my book since they were specifically asking have you ever had any blood pressure issues. can we get back on track now? if you don't have any insight no need to litter the thread with ignorance. Thanks.......

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post

Thank you for the insight! great input

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                      +1. This is the same as saying, "I cut my finger on a thorn and got an infection for it".
                      You right, it is the same.... and if the questionnaire asked if i ever got an infection and i did in the past, guess what? i would say yes! I dont get how people can convince themselves that is not lying. Habitual liars i guess.

I do know better... I know not to lie. Can we move on now to my original question? thank you
                      Last edited by humveedude; April 18th, 2013, 10:47 AM.

Comment

.........Name:  6474cde4d4231754948e582cabc1e897.gif
Views: 4
Size:  1.1 KB

Comment

He really doesn't need a waiver.

But what do I know. I'm a liar.
                          I'd normally agree with you because of the OP's non-existent history of chronic condidtion, etc., but bottom line is if the MEPS Doc DQs you and says you need a waiver...you need one.

Comment

Actually, you are the one on the outside of the truth. *bullshiitte truncated*

Thank you for the insight! great input
                            eqmcclure did give you advice--Advice that would take 2 to 3 months or longer to rectify.

Nevertheless, his commentary remains true. Even the facilitator at MEPS will tell you the same thing during the 'moment of truth' what everyone else on this discussion board would you: Don't divulge irrelevant information that will get you disqualified.

Truth or not, your bad BP test results was irrelevant information.

Your self-righteous sense of what is 'truth' is irrelevant.

No one is waiting at the end of the tunnel with a Snicker bar for you because you want to tell the truth.

I may be on the 'outside of truth' but you're the one on the outside of enlistment.

Again, have a nice day.
                            Last edited by VICEROY06; April 18th, 2013, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Well, reality is MEPS is not a place you get ahead by being fully forthcoming. Their job is to disqualify you from service. We would not have been able to staff two wars over the past decade if every applicant admitted each time they stubbed their toe or got a splinter.

To your polygraph comment: If you really think the purpose of the police polygraph is to determine if you are a liar you are fooling yourself. Everyone is a liar to some degree, and they use that to their advantage to run the test. It is the difference between what is considered a relevant, irrelevant, and control questions on the test. So I do know how they work, I also know that you can being fully honest on the test and still be found deceptive. It is an art, not a science, and that is what "control" questions do on the test.

At the end of the day, you don't have to like it, but you made a bad decision. Medical waivers can go either way. I have seen some sure things get denied, and some that were approved that blew me away. All you can do is submit it and wait.

Comment

Working...
                              X