X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearance and Finances

Credit is not my friend. I had a string of bad luck for about a year and completely demolished my credit. I still have a large amount of debt in collections and when I got married, my wife brought quite a bit along with her. It will take me years to get rid of everything and with the fact that my wife just lost her job, possibly even longer.

My concern is I want to be an MP and I'm not sure what kind of security clearance I will be eligible for or what I need to be an MP. I'm not too concerned, but I'd like to know if anyone could tell me if security clearance is a big thing for a basic enlisted MP?

On a side note, I was wondering how BAH works in the National Guard. I believe it is given during basic and whenever you are deployed, but if someone could clarify that, I would very much appreciate it.

Re: Clearance and Finances

Yes, a secret clearance is important to become an MP and a satisfactory financial history is important in any law enforcement job because it provides 1) that you are responsible with finances as a mature adult and 2) that you were not be prone to bribes or money corruption in law enforcement as an officer. Yes, you can swear on a stack of bibles that you will remain faithful to your chore but those are the prerequisites.

And I accept that criteria since I was an MP and Federal Law Enforcement agent.

I am a active-duty Soldier so I get BAH of nearly 1600 a month. When you get back on part-time status, you will receive a type II BAH according to your zip code and that may be $25 bucks a month. There is a guide on it and someone else can provide their exact type II BAH.

Comment

Off the top of my head, MP is required to have a clearance... Finances and resolution to debt are looked at for clearance...

Comment

Originally posted by Kelvin View Post
        Off the top of my head, MP is required to have a clearance... Finances and resolution to debt are looked at for clearance...
        I was a former MP and I required a secret. I knew many still were in limbo upon graduation because on the security hold. There were not even given an interim.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe
          When you get back on part-time status, you will receive a type II BAH according to your zip code and that may be $25 bucks a month.
          Say what?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
            Say what?
            I have to look at my old LES but this is what I was referring to.

http://www.militaryrates.com/militar...ality_2012.cfm

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
              Say what?
              Thanks for responding to my November post lol but I should of written day instead of month.

But I should of referred to this for my explanation.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/2013B...natguardwo.htm
              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; April 27th, 2013, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                Thanks for responding to my November post lol but I should of written day instead of month.

But I should of referred to this for my explanation.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/2013B...natguardwo.htm
                Guard and reserve Soldiers dont get BAH unless they are on active duty, period. If the active duty is less then 30 days, they receive type II non locality. Other than that, those rates are only used for some unique situations, say a geographically separated bachelor and things like that.

Comment

Maybe I should have made the BAH question clearer. I am married with three children, would I receive active duty BAH while in BCT and AIT? Since I would be paid active duty pay while in BCT, I'm assuming that I would receive BAH as well, for my family.

Oh and all the law enforcement agencies I've talked to do not care about your credit, including the Washington State patrol. I understand why security clearance would require financial stability and while I take full responsibility for my financial situation, I made a few mistakes as a kid, and it is much harder to fix than it is to screw up.
                  Last edited by WAS; July 16th, 2013, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WAS View Post
                    Oh and all the law enforcement agencies I've talked to do not care about your credit, including the Washington State patrol. I understand why security clearance would require financial stability and while I take full responsibility for my financial situation, I made a few mistakes as a kid, and it is much harder to fix than it is to screw up.
                    A credit check is a standard part of any law enforcement background investigation. Stating that they "don't care" is nothing but fiction. What each agency is willing to tolerate is debatable. There is a significant difference between say having a bankruptcy because your mother had cancer and couldn't keep up with medical bills vs having a bankruptcy because you just had to have the mercedes and wasted money on things other than bills. There are people all over that get DQ from law enforcement agencies because of credit. I fear that you have been grossly misinformed on this topic.

Comment

Maybe I should have made the BAH question clearer. I am married with three children, would I receive active duty BAH while in BCT and AIT? Since I would be paid active duty pay while in BCT, I'm assuming that I would receive BAH as well, for my family.

In terms of DoD Clearances, a history of poor judgments and outstanding debts are going to stop you in your tracks. The differences is being "having a ton of bad debt and letting it go" versus "having a ton of bad debt and actively working to resolve it". If you say it is going to take many years to clear up and what not, odds are, you will not be getting a S/TS.

Now, as far as Washington State Patrol, I pulled this from their website directly - http://www.wsp.wa.gov/employment/requirements.htm

"Minimum Requirements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Pay one's bills and meet financial obligations."

We're not trying to discourage you OP, but you need to have a realistic expectation. If I were you, I would work my hiney off trying to pay down debt and fix your credit. There are suggestions for that, but that's for another post..

Comment

I have been working my butt off to pay off this debt, but with medical expenses being the blunt of my debt, the fact that I make just enough money to pay my regular bills, and loss of employment in the past being the primary reason I am in debt, I don't see myself being disqualified from being able to join the WSP. Let me rephrase what the WSP recruiter told me, "Your financial situation does not disqualify or alter your chances of becoming an officer." That is not a direct quote, but more or less exactly what he told me.

A lot of my bad debt is small bills that equal to a larger sum, my concern is that there is no way I can make the $25 payment on each of them monthly like I've seen other people suggest. If I could, I would be nearly out of debt in less than a year. I am doing the best I can with what I have and I'm not sure what else I can do.

If I am unable to qualify for a position in the Military Police, is there another field you would suggest that my debt will not affect my qualification? While my primary interest is law enforcement, I would be willing to take another position in the NG if I am unable to qualify for MP.

Comment

Without trying to get too much into your personal business/medical info, have you tried contacting the hospital or medical billing offices to see if you could qualify for charity? I was unemployed and facing nearly 60 grand in medical bills due to heart surgery and I was able to get assistance through the hospital, cardiologist, and other billing offices and have things written off as charity through them. It's worth looking into if you haven't already.

Comment

I have been working my butt off to pay off this debt, but with medical expenses being the blunt of my debt, the fact that I make just enough money to pay my regular bills, and loss of employment in the past being the primary reason I am in debt, I don't see myself being disqualified from being able to join the WSP. Let me rephrase what the WSP recruiter told me, "Your financial situation does not disqualify or alter your chances of becoming an officer." That is not a direct quote, but more or less exactly what he told me.

A lot of my bad debt is small bills that equal to a larger sum, my concern is that there is no way I can make the $25 payment on each of them monthly like I've seen other people suggest. If I could, I would be nearly out of debt in less than a year. I am doing the best I can with what I have and I'm not sure what else I can do.

If I am unable to qualify for a position in the Military Police, is there another field you would suggest that my debt will not affect my qualification? While my primary interest is law enforcement, I would be willing to take another position in the NG if I am unable to qualify for MP.
                            "Not being disqualified" and "getting hired" carry significant differences in definition, especially when it comes to law enforcement. Thousands will meet the minimum qualifications and be eligible. They will only hire the most qualified, and less risky.

In regards to the credit, if what you are paying on are charge offs and other types of bad debt which cannot be deemed positive in time, you really should dispute the items first. I they are removed then paying them is moot.

Comment

You might want to look into an MOS that does not carry a clearance as that would be open to you. By doing so, you'd at least get in. Then, look at going through a debt consolidation company... 85% are shysters, but there are a couple out there that are good.

Comment

Working...
                              X