X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I start?

I'm interested in joining national guard for three purposes, better for myself (mentally and physically), building my career résumé (open-minded future) and to explore (view the world). I'm looking to be active, I'm 19 my height is 5'5 and weigh around 208 lbs. not sure where too start and what the requirements are. But I've always wanted to join the army when I was about 8 years old.

Re: Where can I start?

Originally posted by Long_shot93 View Post
    I'm interested in joining national guard for three purposes, better for myself (mentally and physically), building my career résumé (open-minded future) and to explore (view the world). I'm looking to be active, I'm 19 my height is 5'5 and weigh around 208 lbs. not sure where too start and what the requirements are. But I've always wanted to join the army when I was about 8 years old.
    ARMY NATIONAL GUARD: REQUIREMENTS TO JOIN

ARMY APFT FITNESS CALCULATOR

Last edited by VICEROY06; April 10th, 2013, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Thank you Viceroy06 for the information listed. I'm currently over 54 lbs. of weight. Should I start doing Cardio and Max interval training w/ dieting?

Comment

Thank you Viceroy06 for the information listed. I'm currently over 54 lbs. of weight. Should I start doing Cardio and Max interval training w/ dieting?
        Yes.

Do it now. Do it tomorrow.

Don't even try enlisting now. Seriously. Focus on getting in shape. Focus on developing the habit of working out to the point where you feel wrong if you don't work out.

I'm telling you this because I want your military training experience to be the best experience of your life once you do enlist.

You are very, very young, so you have plenty of time to start from ground zero and work your way up.

Don't start out trying to set the world on fire or you'll injure yourself. Start by speed walking at the neighborhood walking track or around the block. After the first week work yourself up to a jog. Practice doing assisted sit-ups and try doing push-ups. Start out with a number you're comfortable with. For example: 10 push-ups and 5 sit-ups everyday for the first week, then increase the number by 5 at the beginning of every week.

Whatever you're eating you need to change it--drastically. Drop the junk food. Drop the microwave meals and ice-cream. Drop the sugary cereals and pop tarts. Start eating fruits and vegetables, whole wheats, protein rich legumes, fish, nuts. break three large meals into 6 smaller meals. It's going to be a shock to your system at first but your body will adjust.
        Last edited by VICEROY06; April 10th, 2013, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Revdeck
          Long_shot93,

VICEROY06,

Man...on the Go Army Forums they don't allow any advice pertaining to fitness. We're only allowed to give links provided by the Go Army Homepage.
          Yeah I checked them out a long time ago. Pretty sterile over there. I never even bothered to join or post. There was one post where someone asked for advice on how to study for the ASVAB and everyone told that person to get a good nights rest. Are you friggin' kidding me? Some people need more guidance than what a generic commentary can offer. Like it or not all kinds of people are going to want to join--may as well equip them with the best information available, so they won't go in blind and get a bad experience. If I had internet resources to research instead of word of mouth back in my day maybe I would have enlisted--but back in my day there was no such thing as the internet. Anyways, I'm in now and that's all that matters.
          Last edited by VICEROY06; April 11th, 2013, 08:07 AM.

Comment

What do you mean "looking to be active"? The NG is a part time gig... Yes, there are exceptions (AGR, ADOS, etc) but those are few and far between. It sounds like you want to be full time. Is that correct?

Comment

Yeah I'm on there all the time, but I know what you mean. Its gets old though when people ask the same question that literally just got asked in the previous post. What's your MOS? and thanks for your service! I'm hoping to get a MOS in the 25 series.
              I went from 25U to 11B to 12W in 3 years. And boy are my arms tired.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
                What do you mean "looking to be active"? The NG is a part time gig... Yes, there are exceptions (AGR, ADOS, etc) but those are few and far between. It sounds like you want to be full time. Is that correct?
                That's correct, does NG go full time?

Comment

Wow you've jumped around lol. If you don't mind me asking how did you like 25U? My recruiter told me that job has many slots open for it right now. I personally would like to get 25B, but 25U is my next choice.
                  It's a long, long, long story. But I'm glad I ended up with 12W.

Comment

That's correct, does NG go full time?
                    Very rarely. If you want to be active, you'll have to sign up with Active Duty Army.

Comment

Working...
                    X