Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do I start? (19 yr old female, considering joining)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I start? (19 yr old female, considering joining)

Well, I mean that quite literally, where do I start? What's the first step? What are your suggestions for a 19 yr old female of average weight (145 lbs) and height (5'6") and I am relatively strong, but have terrible endurance (just being honest lol).

I have bee through 3 1/3 semesters of College, the last bit being Nursing school, which I am taking a year break from to save money and get my life together a bit more. I had strongly considered The Guard before I entered college, and then again just before being accepted into Nursing school, and now that I am taking a break, I am considering it again.

I have been a Nursing assistant, and had started clinicals in the Nursing program, and am currently working at an Airsoft store/ indoor playing facility. There I have met and become friends with many members and former members of the Armed Forces, which has again brought up the question of joining...

Well now that you have a bit of background, does anyone have any amazing, grounbreakingly profound advice? Lol

(P.s. it is still definitely my intention to go into the medical field)

Re: Where do I start? (19 yr old female, considering joining)

You gave us a glimpse of your life goals, now expand on that a little more. I can't tell you how to get there if I don't know where you want to go. Also tell us your priorities, and what's most important to you. In every life there are choices and sacrifices, so be careful that you sacrifice what is less important for what is most important.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLady View Post
      Well, I mean that quite literally, where do I start? What's the first step? What are your suggestions for a 19 yr old female of average weight (145 lbs) and height (5'6") and I am relatively strong, but have terrible endurance (just being honest lol).

I have bee through 3 1/3 semesters of College, the last bit being Nursing school, which I am taking a year break from to save money and get my life together a bit more. I had strongly considered The Guard before I entered college, and then again just before being accepted into Nursing school, and now that I am taking a break, I am considering it again.

I have been a Nursing assistant, and had started clinicals in the Nursing program, and am currently working at an Airsoft store/ indoor playing facility. There I have met and become friends with many members and former members of the Armed Forces, which has again brought up the question of joining...

Well now that you have a bit of background, does anyone have any amazing, grounbreakingly profound advice? Lol

(P.s. it is still definitely my intention to go into the medical field)

Need more info.

Do you want to be an Army nurse? Medic? Are you wanting money for college? You wanting a chance to see the world, meet new and interesting people and then kill them?

Aside from having the honor and benefit of serving, what do you want to get out of your experience?

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
        Do you want to be an Army nurse?
        This would be my advice. I have been trying to talk my wife into it for years. With an RN, a direct commission is available. Such a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
          This would be my advice. I have been trying to talk my wife into it for years. With an RN, a direct commission is available. Such a good deal.
          Since most of you asked essentially the same questions, I am just going to reply to all of you with one reply.

I had considered waiting until I got an BSN-RN and do the direct commission; however, that is a long way away and I honestly don't have the money for it at this point in time.

Also, I think that if I joined sooner rather than later, the Guard would help hone skills and attitudes that would end up allowing me to be a better nurse than if I just tried to just go through it by myself with my current mindset, which is much more geared toward my own comfort than it should be, and that is not what I want. I would like to be a well-rounded, physically and mentally strong individual who can function efficiently within a group, as well as being someone who can be relied upon to do my part (I admit I am terribly irresponsible sometimes, mostly through learned habit). I want to be someone who can be effective in anything I do, whether it is working in a Nursing home comforting the elderly, or fighting for freedom of someone I don't know.

To be honest, if I had to sum up my "passion" in life, I would have to say that is would be that, I just want to help people, in whatever fashion or way necessary. I am more medically inclined as my father is an EMT and I have enjoyed all the work and learning that I have experienced within that field.

What I would probably want to do at this point is become a Medic, and then eventually an Army Nurse, I am supposed to re-start Liscensed Practical Nursing classes in Sping of 2014, after I have saved more money. After that program it was my intention to get an ASN RN and then BSN RN.

Although this is not specifically related, I also love learning new languages, (although I am far from fluent in any of them, if given an opportunity to learn them, I would love to learn any language that I could.) I also have a fascination for different cultures; however I don't really think I would enjoy being away from my family for extended periods of time.

Again, I would have to say that helping people is my driving force.
          Last edited by RedLady; April 10th, 2013, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Ok, with all of that said...

If I were you, I'd look into the 68W MOS (Combat Medic). It definitely fills your desire to serve, is in the medical field and will give you skills/attitude that will benefit you.

Once you get back to your unit (after BCT/AIT), you could look into state benefits/Federal TA to help fund your LPN degree.

Comment

I had considered waiting until I got an BSN-RN and do the direct commission; however, that is a long way away and I honestly don't have the money for it at this point in time.
              Unless something has changed in the last year, you don't need a BSN to Direct Commission in the National Guard. ASN-RN is sufficient.

Another option is to see if your school has an ROTC department, and try that (if you want that military experience earlier). When you graduate, you can commission into the Army Nurse Corps.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                Unless something has changed in the last year, you don't need a BSN to Direct Commission in the National Guard. ASN-RN is sufficient.

Another option is to see if your school has an ROTC department, and try that (if you want that military experience earlier). When you graduate, you can commission into the Army Nurse Corps.
                Well, I am going to a Comminity College because I cannot afford to go to a 4 yr college with an ROTC Program. There are some nearby, but I don't have the money and am avoiding getting loans if at all possible. I hate being in debt.

Comment

Just wanted to make sure you saw my reply to see if you still wanted to weigh in.

Comment

Well, I am going to a Comminity College because I cannot afford to go to a 4 yr college with an ROTC Program. There are some nearby, but I don't have the money and am avoiding getting loans if at all possible. I hate being in debt.
                    Well, that right there tells me a great deal about your intelligence, character, and foresight. Very mature. I wish more people had that attitude, they'd have better lives.

Based on what you've told us about yourself, you may wish to consider enlisting now to gain some experience, as well as access some money for nursing school. Don't limit yourself to health care specialties, you might wish to take the opportunity to do something different in the Guard. As you approach graduation, speak with your State's AMEDD recruiter about becoming an Army Nurse. While you may commission as an Army Nurse with an associates degree, I recommend a BSN for a number of military and civilian career reasons.

Comment

Well I am going up to MEPS in KC next week. I have a spot reserved for 68W in the 206th ASMC out of Springfield MO. Probable report day for Basic would be Sept 2 at Fort Sill, OK.

Comment

All I can say is maybe you should think it over. I mean don't close your mind. Be fair enough to weigh every aspect of this step. You could finish your medical school and then if ever you still want to join, then why not? Maybe being around with Armed Forces friends will influence your decisions. Think about your life and your family. Get some advice from family members, I'm sure they have so much to say to you.

Comment

Originally posted by castro View Post
                          All I can say is maybe you should think it over. I mean don't close your mind. Be fair enough to weigh every aspect of this step. You could finish your medical school and then if ever you still want to join, then why not? Maybe being around with Armed Forces friends will influence your decisions. Think about your life and your family. Get some advice from family members, I'm sure they have so much to say to you.
                          +1 to the confused spammer lol

Comment

Hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by castro View Post
                              Just so you know, my family is surprisingly supportive actually. And it isn't like I haven't considered this fairly thoroughly. And quite frankly I can't afford nursing school right now anyways lol. Besides I believe I will learn skills that will help me succes in Nursing school when I do get back to it. However, my mind is set; there's no more thinking about it for me. Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X